Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Yesterday i got back from the store and my cat was holding his left paw up....when he sits...

He walks on it and doesn't seem to be in discomfort otherwise...I've held it and gently touched it and he doesn't flinch or seem to be in pain...he's eating and drinking jumping on bed

It's bizarre..i figured i would watch it for another day and call a vet if no improvement? He is a VERY nervous cat so a vet visit is gonna be hard on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Perhaps he jumped down from somewhere and landed hard on the paw and it is a little sore when he puts pressure on it while sitting. I think your approach is a good one -- watch him and if it persists, check in with your vet.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Maybe he thinks he is Maneki-Neko?

Legend of Maneki Neko (Lucky Cat) | Japanese Style, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat holding paw up-tk.jpg  

Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 AM

I should also mention he is strictly indoor.....he was just cleaning that paw and moving it

Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I've had the same thing happen with my cats over the years, and in every case it was just a temporary thing & they were fine a day or 2 later. More than likely just jumping down and landing wrong, straining something, etc.. Just give it a few days and see if it clears up. If not a vet visit may be in order.

A couple of years ago one of my senior girls started limping & holding a front paw up. It went on longer than I thought it should have (4 days or so), and I ended up taking her to the vet. Nothing was broken or out of place,and he couldn't find anything else wrong with her. When I brought her home & let her out of the carrier, she wasn't limping at all. I told her it would have been nice if she had decided to 'get better' before we went to the vet and dropped $50. I swear she smirked at me & proceeded to wash her face with the very paw that she had been holding up before. True story, I kid you not.

Your boy is probably fine, but keep an eye on him.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I've had the same thing happen with my cats over the years, and in every case it was just a temporary thing & they were fine a day or 2 later. More than likely just jumping down and landing wrong, straining something, etc.. Just give it a few days and see if it clears up. If not a vet visit may be in order.

A couple of years ago one of my senior girls started limping & holding a front paw up. It went on longer than I thought it should have (4 days or so), and I ended up taking her to the vet. Nothing was broken or out of place,and he couldn't find anything else wrong with her. When I brought her home & let her out of the carrier, she wasn't limping at all. I told her it would have been nice if she had decided to 'get better' before we went to the vet and dropped $50. I swear she smirked at me & proceeded to wash her face with the very paw that she had been holding up before. True story, I kid you not.

Thanks you made me feel better !!!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Cat holding paw up-12659635_10153335171547555_1131514868_n.jpg

See how he is sitting

Old 01-31-2016, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Attachment 165267

See how he is sitting
Yep, looks familiar. I'll bet it's just a mild 'sprain' of some sort. With my cats it was always a front leg, which makes sense because when they jump down from something the front paws always hit first & absorb the impact. If he's using it to wash his face, then it can't be hurting him too much, & he'll probably be ok pretty soon.

Beautiful boy, btw.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yep, looks familiar. I'll bet it's just a mild 'sprain' of some sort. With my cats it was always a front leg, which makes sense because when they jump down from something the front paws always hit first & absorb the impact. If he's using it to wash his face, then it can't be hurting him too much, & he'll probably be ok pretty soon.

Beautiful boy, btw.
Thanks!! He's my baby. Yes he has moved it quite a bit and only holds it up when he's sitting..

Old 01-31-2016, 12:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:

That darn cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats