Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Concerned citizen frustrated with neighborhood cats, cat owners who let cats roam unsupervised all night and day, cause accidents, tear up landscaping, getting into trash

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times

Advertisements

When I was living in New Orleans, there was a cat who would constantly come up to my front door (which had glass panes, so my own kitty could see what was going on) and just torment my cat endlessly. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if, when I would open the door to go out or come in, I didn't have to worry about my cat running out to "get this other kitty". Several times, I had to run out and around the building to grab him when he ran out. LOL, he had this other cat cornered, and I just had to shake my head. Like he was going to be the "big, tough guy".

Anyway, I *like* having my cats indoors, and there's no reason why I should be concerned that someone else's feline is taunting my cat. So, I went to my neighbor, to tell her what was going on. Apparently, she was still ticked that I had "taken" the kitten that had taken refuge under MY car. She had wanted him. Needless to say, she didn't listen to a word I said, and continued to let her little ruffian out constantly.

I just don't understand this mentality. To me, it's just another way that people exhibit their "me, me, me" attitudes. To not care that YOUR animal is causing unneeded trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM

37 posts, read 144,591 times
Default cats

You may like having your cat indoors, But he obviously wants to get out now and then, thats why he scarpered out when the opportunity arose, he was getting stir crazy indoors.

The neighbours cat was not deliberately 'stalking' you, its a cat, for gods sake we should not confuse natural animal behaviour with our own daft ideas.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annriley View Post
You may like having your cat indoors, But he obviously wants to get out now and then, thats why he scarpered out when the opportunity arose, he was getting stir crazy indoors.

The neighbours cat was not deliberately 'stalking' you, its a cat, for gods sake we should not confuse natural animal behaviour with our own daft ideas.
Excuse me? Do you know my cats better than I do?

In the intervening years, I lived in a house where it was possible for the cats to go out, if they wanted to. Interestingly enough, neither one of my boys ever ventured past the front welcome mat. I would think, if they were going "stir crazy", that they would have both jumped at the chance to get out, over the three years I was living there.

Fact of the matter is, this other cat was taunting MY CAT (not me), and my cat wanted to get out simply to run after him. Which is not only dangerous, in terms of cars, but Lord knows what this other cat was harboring in terms of disease and whatnot.

You may think that the idea is "daft", but I get the impression that you didn't even really bother to read my post before you responded. Thanks for the response though, it goes to show how much the attitude of "they're cats and should be outside doing whatever" permeates society. I think you've proven the OP's point with that one.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:13 PM

37 posts, read 144,591 times
Default Cats

I did read your post and you could not be more wrong in your assessment of me - i don't think 'they're cats so they can roam and do as they wish '- god forbid.
I feel in an ideal world cats should have some access to (safe) outside space, and though i can't comment on your neighbours cats, just because someone lets their cat out does not mean they are an irresponsible cat owner.

I just did'nt address all the points/comments you were making, i commented on some thats all.

No one could love their cat more than i do, nor care for her more, but some cats do roam and some become feral through no fault of their making. I try were i can to show kindness even to those that intrude in to my cats territory, life's hard enough for a lot of these animals.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
I did read your post and you could not be more wrong in your assessment of me - i don't think 'they're cats so they can roam and do as they wish '- god forbid.
I feel in an ideal world cats should have some access to (safe) outside space, and though i can't comment on your neighbours cats, just because someone lets their cat out does not mean they are an irresponsible cat owner.

I just did'nt address all the points/comments you were making, i commented on some thats all.

No one could love their cat more than i do, nor care for her more, but some cats do roam and some become feral through no fault of their making. I try were i can to show kindness even to those that intrude in to my cats territory, life's hard enough for a lot of these animals.
So do you allow your cat to roam unsupervised? Unattended? If so you are one of the owners this thread is about...

Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I try were i can to show kindness even to those that intrude in to my cats territory, life's hard enough for a lot of these animals.
How was I "wrong" in my assessment of you? You jumped on me for being "daft" and not understanding that my cats MUST want to roam. Which, again, was YOUR view coming through, definitely not a response to my posting. And, certainly doesn't come from any real knowledge of my situation, or my cats.

You, apparently, are a responsible owner. I'm sure, if someone came to you and said that your cat was being obnoxious and was not welcome on their doorstep, you would take steps to prevent this from happening again. Unlike my neighbor in New Orleans, who simply couldn't understand *why* this person who "stole her kitten" was upset that her cat was, simply, a nuisance.

I didn't want my kitten roaming around the streets of New Orleans, getting into God knows what. And, frankly, I get upset when people let their cats out where I am now (a FAR less dangerous area). Be that as it may though, when people believe that their cat "needs to roam", they also need to take responsibility for its actions. As soon as their cat begins affecting others, it's time to take action, and, *gasp*, take responsibility.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Its just irresponsible to let your cat wander, the opinion of the various owners might differ but the opinions of the ones who count, the Vets and the CFA are that your cat will live a longer, happier and more healthy life if kept inside.

I totally agree that my choice to have cats should not impact other people, I would be horrified if my cat got out and went to someones house and harassed their cat. I am thankful to live in a neighborhood that has a rule that you can't let any of your animals wander freely, cat or dog.

There are diseases that can be passed along through for instance the screen on my lanai where my cats go to get some sun and fresh air.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So do you allow your cat to roam unsupervised? Unattended? If so you are one of the owners this thread is about...
I can't help but thinking, after responding the way I did, about how some of this attitude parallels that of some parents with their kids.

"Kids will be kids". Well, fine and dandy, but once they impede on MY life, you had better take some responsibility. How many times have I been in a restaurant, or some other place, where kids were literal banshees? Parents didn't do anything because, well, "kids are kids". There's no acknowledgment beyond what's at the tip of the parent's noses. And, apparently, I was the person who "didn't understand". LOL

It's the same selfishness that has been shown in this thread about felines.

While most people *do* take responsibility, there are way too many who feel, "hey, this is what the kid/cat does, and the rest of the world just needs to accept it". Erm, no.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I can't help but thinking, after responding the way I did, about how some of this attitude parallels that of some parents with their kids.

"Kids will be kids". Well, fine and dandy, but once they impede on MY life, you had better take some responsibility. How many times have I been in a restaurant, or some other place, where kids were literal banshees? Parents didn't do anything because, well, "kids are kids". There's no acknowledgment beyond what's at the tip of the parent's noses. And, apparently, I was the person who "didn't understand". LOL

It's the same selfishness that has been shown in this thread about felines.

While most people *do* take responsibility, there are way too many who feel, "hey, this is what the kid/cat does, and the rest of the world just needs to accept it". Erm, no.
I believe its posible that Ann is from the UK, they look down on us as a country because its legal to declaw cats here, they also tend to believe its cruel to NOT allow your cat to wander outside.

My beloved Nigel got outside one time, he came home bleeding because someone shot him. He was carrying his hind leg and bleeding and crying to me in the most pitiful way. At that moment, I would have injured someone if I had found they had done that to my cat but I can't tell you the number of times I have heard of this happening.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I believe its posible that Ann is from the UK, they look down on us as a country because its legal to declaw cats here, they also tend to believe its cruel to NOT allow your cat to wander outside.

My beloved Nigel got outside one time, he came home bleeding because someone shot him. He was carrying his hind leg and bleeding and crying to me in the most pitiful way. At that moment, I would have injured someone if I had found they had done that to my cat but I can't tell you the number of times I have heard of this happening.
Oh, Lindsey, how awful! Was Nigel ok? The only people I truly hate are those that are cruel to animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats