Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:25 PM

87 posts, read 101,323 times

Advertisements

How many of us actually have dog friendly cats ? It took some time for Midnight to get used to Missy but he adjusted very quickly. The fluffy tail , the hissing , the taunts and the funny looking run they do with their back hunched ? Please share experiences !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I had a dog named Willie and a cat named Catfish. They were best friends. Willie groomed Catfish and Catfish snuggled up to Willie.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM

87 posts, read 101,323 times
Thats so cute ! Midnight is used to Missy now but he dont snuggle with her or anything . He lays by her and stuff now.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksona062010 View Post
Thats so cute ! Midnight is used to Missy now but he dont snuggle with her or anything . He lays by her and stuff now.
That may or may not happen, depends on the cat (and dog). I had 7 cats and 2 Yorkshire Terriers at one time. They all got along ok, but never snuggled as the Yorkies took offense to that. Basically they all ignored each other for the most part. Getting along peacefully is sometimes the best you can get. Totally depends on the animals.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Having both dogs and cats, along with other critters, we require peaceful cohabitation. So far over 35 years, it's all be peaceful. When it comes to the dogs and cats, we have had the 'buddies' cat and dog being the best of friends. The playmates, cat and dog only interact to take turns chasing and attacking each other.
Recently there was a amusing and enexpected cat dog interaction. Our two dogs got into a little 'tiff' over a toy. While being very loud and active in establishing who is boss between the two, the cat appeared out of nowhere and broke it up.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Unfortunately I am catless right now - my dog is afraid of cats, and combined with some food guarding issues, it wouldn't be safe to introduce a cat to the household - but over the years several cats have shared their lives with me, and also with the dogs I've had.

Fritz was a big, beautiful blue/grey cat who adored absolutely everyone, and he was especially fond of my beagle mix, Misty. Misty was a golden colour, very friendly, a goofy (if somewhat not-so-smart) hound. When Misty and Fritz first met, Fritz was still quite young, and he took a shine to Misty at once, following her around the apartment, checking her out every time we would return from a walk, and eventually curling up with her and snoozing peacefully through the nights. When Misty died - we lost her very suddenly, a heart attack whilst she slept - Fritz missed her, but he didn't seem to be too upset...he carried on with the rest of the household (my two other cats) and seemed to adjust quite easily to her absence.

However, just over a year later I adopted a dog from the shelter where I'd been volunteering as a dog walker. Kaya was a cattle dog mix, a fair bit larger than Misty had been, but her coat was the same colour. The day that I was to bring Kaya home, I had set up a baby gate in the kitchen, since I wasn't sure how she would react to cats in the household and wanted to restrict her until it would be deemed safe. So when Kaya arrived, we entered via the back door, directly into the kitchen, and I let her explore the room. She was so happy to finally be out of the shelter that she trotted all around, sniffing every corner, her tail wagging non-stop over her newfound freedom, and I sat back to enjoy the scene. What happened next, however, was totally unexpected.

The cats had heard me enter the apartment with a dog, and so all three had remained in another room...curious maybe, but cautious, as cats tend to be. However, Fritz was never an entirely predictable cat - in fact, I'm not sure he realized he was a cat at times - and as I sat in the kitchen watching my new dog explore her digs, there was a sudden noise in the hallway. This was followed moments later by a rapid flash of grey that catapulted over the baby gate and sped at lightning speed straight toward Kaya. Before my mind was even able to register what was going on, Fritz had rushed straight to Kaya and literally hugged her...he stood straight up on his hind legs and with his front paws, embraced her neck. The look on Kaya's face was one of pure shock, and this look was shared seconds later by Fritz, as he came to the sudden realization that Kaya was not who he'd thought she was. He released his grip on the newcomer and sped out of the kitchen as quickly as he'd arrived, leaving no time for Kaya to even react.

The scene, as quickly as it had taken place, left me both shocked and heartbroken. Fritz - in his little feline mind - had thought that his best buddy Misty had come back home, and in his sheer joy he'd rushed in to greet her and to say, "I missed you!" I had no idea that he would have even remembered Misty after all that time, yet he did...and his affection and devotion to her was quite clearly on display that morning.

*After the initial shock wore off, Fritz and Kaya also soon became best of friends...but I will never forget the day that Fritz came soaring over the baby gate in his excitement to reunite with his buddy.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Two of them like dogs, one really doesn't like anything with fur except herself.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksona062010 View Post
How many of us actually have dog friendly cats ? It took some time for Midnight to get used to Missy but he adjusted very quickly. The fluffy tail , the hissing , the taunts and the funny looking run they do with their back hunched ? Please share experiences !
We have never had any trouble with our dogs and cats getting along.

Just last month, we went to visit someone with our new dog, whose history with cats is unknown. Their new cat's history with dogs was unknown too, and they said their cat is very shy. Anyway, after a few hours, their cat came out of hiding and within minutes, was unaffected by the dog or us. The animals just need time to get their bearings. We all talked to them in soft voices while they got acquainted.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
We have a Great pyrenees that loves his cats. Or should I say, the cat's pyrenees

Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Our current cat (of the last ten years) only tolerates our dogs. She would not hesitate to swat one of them if they inched closer than the acceptable comfortable distance between. Never has she cuddled with them. The best she has ever done is to briefly rub up against them.

Of course it should be noted that our cat doesn't like other cats and tends to chase them away. She is antisocial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats