Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 33,987 times

Advertisements

My sock kitty (Soaki) has been living with fleas for over a month (I determined that time frame because that's when my ankles started getting little flea bites and the ones I can pick off of his face/belly I flush down the toilet), and living with respiratory infection that I suspect he caught from a stray cat when he got outside. With rent and bills (tv/utility/mobile/internet/medicine) neither me or my mother have been able to help him other than buying food and water (and trying apple cider vinegar which I read helps ease upper respiratory in cats).There's another cat I feed but he stays outside usually and doesn't sneeze, so I doubt that's the cat he caught it from.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats are suffering, being eaten by fleas and younger cat has upper res-20160822_083737.jpg   Cats are suffering, being eaten by fleas and younger cat has upper res-20160827_074535.jpg  

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-27-2016 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: tos violation-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Are you in North Carolina?

Just don't put pyrethrin flea treatment from the pet store/grocery store on them. Dog flea meds can cause severe medical problems in cats, seizures, etc. Flea and Tick Medicine Poisoning in Cats | petMD

Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 AM

Thank you for telling me, that sounds horrifying D:. And yes.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Unfortunately, you already have a flea problem in your house, and whatever you can do get them off your cat will only be temporary, and will not fix the problem. Besides treating the cat (flea killing topicals, or at the very least repeated flea baths), you will need to de-flea your house. That can be a lot of work, including washing everything that will fit into the machine, vacuuming carpets & furniture then treated with flea & egg killer, then vacuuming again, etc., but it's necessary once the fleas invade your home.
I understand that finances may be a problem, but we're not talking a lot of money here. The last time I had to do it, I got a spray can of flea killer from my vet for under $20, and had some left over when I finished. Flea topicals (the good ones) are expensive, but not so bad for one cat ($12 to $15 range) and well worth the money. Whatever you do, avoid the cheap stuff found at Wal Mart & such places, especially anything with Hartz or Sargents on it.

Last edited by catdad7x; 08-27-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 02:10 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Sevin will end your flea problem quickly. I put it on the cats we rescued a few years ago.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Are you in North Carolina?

Just don't put pyrethrin flea treatment from the pet store/grocery store on them. Dog flea meds can cause severe medical problems in cats, seizures, etc. Flea and Tick Medicine Poisoning in Cats | petMD
That may be true, but not because there's a difference in the medication. It's amount of the dosage that varies. What's appropriate for a 30lb dog would overdose a 10lb cat. That's why most name brand topicals are measured and sold based on the weight of the cat or dog. I know some folks have used partial doses for a larger dog on their smaller cat and haven't had a problem. But it seems a bit iffy to me, and I won't risk it. I buy the doses of the Revolution I use for my cats weight, and don't have to worry about it.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM

This is all very useful information. And I don't know what to do about the carpet.. Hopefully if enough people donate I can de-flea the carpet too or pay someone since it involves chemicals and I'm not knowledgeable in those.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoakichester View Post
This is all very useful information. And I don't know what to do about the carpet.. Hopefully if enough people donate I can de-flea the carpet too or pay someone since it involves chemicals and I'm not knowledgeable in those.
Carpet de-fleaing can be an affordable DIY project. Yes, time-consuming, but most definitely well worth the time!

Vacuum vacuum vacuum. If a bagless type of vacuum, dump the contents into a trash bag and dispose into an outdoor trash can. Same with a bag type of vacuum - dispose of it in the same manner after every vac session. If bags, I know that's an expense, but sucking up the varmints doesn't kill them ... UNLESS you help the process along by putting flea powder inside the vacuum beforehand.

As for what to use, I've had good luck with Adams products -- not the cheapest, but definitely not the most expensive. It comes in powder or spray and is available at Walmart.

As for the upper respiratory infection, do you have a local shelter or animal control facility that is associated with an inexpensive vet? Here in Jacksonville FL we do, and those who cannot afford high vet bills can use the less expensive clinic. I can tell you that "less expensive" does NOT mean lower quality of care - far from it!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoakichester View Post
Get some Sevin insecticide. Sprinkle it on the carpet. Wait one day, then vac. It won't hurt the cats.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Sevin dust comes with a warning to only use it outside and to keep children and pets away from the area until the dust settles. Is there some other Sevin product out there that is OK to use on pets? I am more than a little leery of using something not designed for pets on pets, but maybe there is a product I am unaware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats