Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

Time to buy a new bed and I was thinking we would really like an upholstered one. Our two cats are trained to use scratching posts and I did it by spritzing a bit of water on them when they tried the furniture - I know that's not the best way but it worked.
I don't know if they would try scratching the headboard and I certainly can't spray water at them.

Anybody here have upholstered headboard and cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 AM

838 posts, read 554,819 times
I used to. An upholstered headboard that is.

What I did was buy a cheapo one from Walmart. Truth be told, it was actually quite nice! But before I invested money in a more expensive one I wanted to see how the cats would treat it. Needless to say, they loved it -- but not in a good way.

If your cats are trained to use scratching posts then you have a better shot at keeping it looking nice than I did.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
Hi NK!!!! I know you would LOVE the headboard, but I'm almost positive the kitties would love it more than you would. Even keeping their toenails trimmed - they are going to investigate and climb, and at my house - somebody would invariably climb on top of it and decide they needed to hack up a hairball or worse, causing a cascade of ....well, the headboard wouldn't be pretty very long!!!

Unless you get something with a very short nap (velvet or a really heavy weight microfiber) I think they will eventually ruin it. Even if you keep the bedroom door shut during the day - will they scratch it up during the night time? If you are crafty and able to sew a bit, you could find any number of DIY sites and construct one yourself easily, pretty cheap. If they ruin it - you wouldn't have lost a lot of money and you could either make another one, or at least you have an idea how they would react to something more elegant (and pricey). I suppose you could also sew up some sort of a cover (like a slipcover of sorts) but to me that would kind of ruin the whole idea.

This is precisely why, at my house, I am unable to have really nice things. Throw pillows, knick knacks, etc. get overtaken and eventually claimed by the cats. I gave up a long time ago....I say if you can figure out a way to make it happen - go for it!!! I wish you best of luck. If I remember - you just moved to some new digs - you deserve to pretty it up!!!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Thanks CFoulke. We are moving in a few months-as soon as the new place is ready.I've just about talked myself out of an upholstered headboard at this time. I was going to make a tufted one I found on a sewing site but with everything else we have to do to move and sell this place, I just don't need the stress.
I had worried about them tearing it up but not about them getting on top and possibly throwing up a hair ball on top of my head. No thanks.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:55 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
I'd be concerned about an upholstered headboard being a dust catcher...

That being said, I am doing laundry today...gathered the bathroom hand towel to wash it, and discovered the bottom absolutely covered in cat fur from the old lady jumping up by the sink and rubbing against it. So even if yours did not use it as a scratching post, how fur covered would it get?

Old 10-30-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I'd be concerned about an upholstered headboard being a dust catcher...

That being said, I am doing laundry today...gathered the bathroom hand towel to wash it, and discovered the bottom absolutely covered in cat fur from the old lady jumping up by the sink and rubbing against it. So even if yours did not use it as a scratching post, how fur covered would it get?
good point I hadn't thought of.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:09 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
There are so many pretty upholstered headboards.... but

they collect dust and dander.

And even if they didn't... you know kitty will rub their face continually over it.

I'm constantly cleaning kitty "dirt" from the sides of my white cabinets, doors and millwork. Why they think they have to mark every edge in the house is beyond me.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
There are so many pretty upholstered headboards.... but

they collect dust and dander.

And even if they didn't... you know kitty will rub their face continually over it.

I'm constantly cleaning kitty "dirt" from the sides of my white cabinets, doors and millwork. Why they think they have to mark every edge in the house is beyond me.
What do you use to clean them? Those corner decorations my cats leave dry to something akin to cement.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM

I think she is talking about hair dirt on millwork, cabinets, and doors and you are talking about kitty "accidents" Right?
My cats also rub their sweet little faces on every edge in the house. I finally put Vicks on the rims of my lampshades to keep them off tabletops. But cleaning baseboards actually takes damp wiping them from time to time.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think she is talking about hair dirt on millwork, cabinets, and doors and you are talking about kitty "accidents" Right?
My cats also rub their sweet little faces on every edge in the house. I finally put Vicks on the rims of my lampshades to keep them off tabletops. But cleaning baseboards actually takes damp wiping them from time to time.
Yeah, I was talking about those side-of-the-mouth markings. I think my problem is that I've been lax about cleaning them up, and they've built up too much. But in all fairness to me, my girl Gypsy is OCD about marking her territory, and rubs her face on literally everything available. I would need to follow her around with one of those janitorial carts, on a daily basis, to keep ahead of it. Probably going to take some serious scrubbing to clean them all at this point. Just wiping them off with a wet rag isn't cutting it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats