Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 27,466 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I wanted to share my PU surgery experience since I never found one quite like mine anywhere on the internet. I figured the information might be useful to someone doing their research. I hope this helps!
My 1 y/o male cat, milo, was rushed to the emergency vet december 26th at midnight. He was crying for a few hours, but I didn't think anything of it. I noticed spots of liquid on my tile floors and noticed it was urine. I noticed milo was laying in dribbles of his own pee and immediately thought he couldn't urinate. He was obstructed (probably due to an infection) and I was told he would need to be admitted and unblocked. Thy said it was routine, very easy fix and he would be home in 24-48 hours. After removing his first cath after 24 hrs he was unable to urinate on his own. They attempted to unblock him a secondition time, with no success and the third time he ripped out his cath. They suspected a urethral tear from having repeated catheters placed in such a small amount of time, and yes he had a tear. They told me that surgery was the only treatment for the tear and he needed the perineal urethrostomy. I agreed for them to do emergency surgery on him satuday December 31st. The surgeon called me and explained the procedure and anatomy for me, but said they were concerned about the tear being to high up to for the pu to be effective. Also, they were worried how he would even heal from the surgery because of the amount of catheters he had due to tissue irritation. I was a wreck because I told them if they opened him up and they felt that the surgery would not work I wanted him put down. We went to the hospital that night just in case anything happened. The surgeon resident came to speak with us while milo was still in the or. She said that everything went well and the tissue in his urethra looked amazing! Yayyy! BUT.. he had TWO tears in his urethra and the second was higher than they normally like to do the procesure. She called it a grey zone. She warned us that because such a large amount of the urethra was removed, he could potentially stricture because of increased tension on the tissue. They said they did everything they could to get the opening as wide as possible for wiggle room. Monday January 2nd I was able to pick him up, but was warned he had some pretty serious anal swelling. I got him home, he was eating and using the litter box. But he had horrible diarrhea and was bleEdina from his anus!! He was taking an antibiotic, a sedative, and pain meds. Also he had a food change. He did not poop solid for 2 weeks! After i switched him to science diet so canned cat food aND his antibiotics were done, they returned to normal. The reason I mentioned this is because he was an atrocious mess for 2 whole weeks! I was terrified his incision would get infected! It was horrible, and a great deal of cleaning and maintenance. He was confined to my guest room which is now destroyed (yikes). 2 weeks post opp we had an incision evaluation. They said everything looked great, the opening was still wide and that his stitches looked like they were dissolving. They said I could take his color off in a week and get him to full normal activty a month post opp. Friday January 2pth was the day he was supposed to get the cone off, but I noticed his stitches were still pretty visible and I was a wreck about him messing with it I left his cone on and left him confined for one more week. Today January 27th is the first day he has had his cone off and roaming free. He seems very happy and doing really well. We are still in a period were he could potentially still stricture, but I am still monitoring his urine out put and keeping a close eye on him. I am debating keeping him locked up at night so I can see his urine output (because I have another cat). I hope this is helpfull for someone. This whole ordeal was very devistating, emotionally and financially draining, but I am happy with the decision I made. I thought I was going to have to put my boy down, and I was a wreck. I'm hopeful that he will continue to heal with no complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,149 times
Hi! My baby boy, Monster, had the surgery over a year ago. He wasn’t even 2 years old but kept blocking. I had just lost my 17 year old main coon a month previous to this (from a blood clot) and couldn’t handle the thought of losing another. It was a hard recovery but he made it and did well! However, I think he is having issues again. I read about introducing a mix of apple cider vinegar and water to his diet and was wondering if you have any additional information from when you first shared your story? Thanks so much for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats