Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 22,706 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've posted on this forum before about cat food and you guys have been extremely helpful last time. So I decided to seek out advice from you guys again. So here's the dilemma I'm facing now:

My roommate has a cat. He came here as a young kitty. Very energetic, still not neutered, and about 10-11 months old now.
For the past few months, I've heard complaints about him. Peeing everywhere, tearing up carpets, and that kind of stuff. I caught him peeing in one of my cat's toy box once and cleaned it right away. I advised her to get the cat neutered and switch back to traditional litter box (she was using the ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box with blue crystal thing). She eventually switched back to the traditional litter box (after the cat peed in her closet for at least 5 times), but never got him fixed. The peeing behavior seems to have stopped but she kept complaining about how bad the litter box smells.
Yesterday, she asked me to keep an eye on her cat while she travels for a week, and for the first time I see her litter box set-up and finally learnt why she kept complaining about the smell. The litter in there seemed really old and the box was filled with pees and poops. If her cat is anything like mine, I would say it hasn't been cleaned for at least 4 days. I scooped all those up, but the old litter still smells very bad. So I change the whole thing and cleaned the box.
When I was scooping the litter, I noticed that the cat was having diarrhea. So I checked the food she's feeding her cat. The canned food contains Xanthan Gum and Carrageenan, I think that's what's giving her cat diarrhea. The dry food she has are all fish-based. It's not the end of the world but still...... And I couldn't find a water bowl for her cat, other than a leaky faucet in her bathroom.

For the half year we've been roommates, she hasn't been spending that much time at home. Many days she would go out partying and leave the cat alone at home. Even when she's at home, I've frequently found the cat sleeping alone on the couch outside of my room waiting to come inside.
She never clipped the cat's nails and very rarely have I seen her playing with her cat. I've heard her yelling at the cat a few times, but really, her cat is very mischievous, and I can understand her getting angry at the cat if he peed in her closet.

I am kind of worried and feel sorry for the cat after seeing the state of his litter box and his diet. I'm not sure what I could do to help him or whether I should do something at all. After all, it's her cat. She's feeding him and giving him a place to stay. She's never been violent to the cat. She's willing to spend a lot of money on the cat (the food she bought him wasn't cheap), but she's not spending time and care on him. I could be just overreacting and being a crazy cat lady right now.
I really need to hear advice from you guys.

Last edited by kakarctic; 04-23-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
You start by getting the cat neutered.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:34 AM

130,459 posts, read 12,124,678 times
See if your county or humane society have free neuter days. My old county mailed out vouchers, you had to phone in & request one. I would also give the cat some of the food I gave my own cat.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You start by getting the cat neutered.
Problem is, the cat is not mine. I can't just take the cat and get him neutered. And his owner doesn't seem to be putting this in a very high priority. I've told her to consider to do this several times.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
See if your county or humane society have free neuter days. My old county mailed out vouchers, you had to phone in & request one. I would also give the cat some of the food I gave my own cat.
I will look into this. But ultimately, I can't do much other than sharing this information with his owner. Hopefully, she will be more willing to neuter him when the process is free.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Oh and also, I've changed his food to my cat's food. He's not very keen on eating the wet food I gave him. It took my cat a few days to switch to the food too. The good thing is his diarrhea seems to have stopped.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
I don't know the status of the relationship you have with your roommate, but she needs to understand that a happy and contented cat needs more attention than she is willing to provide (apparently). The 2 main problems of spraying/urinating and poor diet are easily remedied (neutering and better food). But being left home alone for long periods of time is another matter. It seems your roommate doesn't understand felines very well, or hasn't committed to her pet as much as she should. Either way, you might (tactfully) suggest she find the cat another home, or make some serious changes in her attitude towards her pet.
This may sound a bit harsh, but too many people consider a pet a possession that can be ignored when they're inconvenient. You're roommate may not be like that, but she needs to step up and take better care of her cat, or find someone else who will.

And bless you for doing what you can to help the cat.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,550,882 times
This sounds like one of the many instances I've noticed of people getting a pet but don't really care much about the thing. If you don't really care about your pet, why do you have one? I just don't get it.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:01 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't know the status of the relationship you have with your roommate, but she needs to understand that a happy and contented cat needs more attention than she is willing to provide (apparently). The 2 main problems of spraying/urinating and poor diet are easily remedied (neutering and better food). But being left home alone for long periods of time is another matter. It seems your roommate doesn't understand felines very well, or hasn't committed to her pet as much as she should. Either way, you might (tactfully) suggest she find the cat another home, or make some serious changes in her attitude towards her pet.
This may sound a bit harsh, but too many people consider a pet a possession that can be ignored when they're inconvenient. You're roommate may not be like that, but she needs to step up and take better care of her cat, or find someone else who will.

And bless you for doing what you can to help the cat.

Step up no matter why. The cat is suffering & not your roomie, etc.

So, I think, as catdad said, no excuses for neglect or easily rectifiable behavior issues. What a shame it even has come to this, as well, & having to involve you in this situation.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarctic View Post
I will look into this. But ultimately, I can't do much other than sharing this information with his owner. Hopefully, she will be more willing to neuter him when the process is free.
I'd definitely leave her some of the literature, or print out the web site of any local place you find.

What I'd do is put down a water dish and she may keep it up. I'd also mention the cat had diarrhea and you gave him the same food as your cats and it cleared up. You said she doesn't mind spending on him, so she might be open to switching - especially if it smells better. Has she had a cat before? Maybe she just doesn't know anything about cats. It doesn't sound like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats