Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 03:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I agree with both. My boyfriend and Nimbus like one another well, but he prefers the cat not try to get up in his food. Understandable. It doesn't help that he loves some of the most tempting things that Nimbus wants though, chicken...cheese...and salmon? Well, it smells good!

Since we've been living together since last September, Nimbus is trying to get a handle on my boyfriend's routines. If he isn't home by some arbitrary point in the evening when the cat thinks he ought to be, Nimbus will go paw at his door and "sing." I have explained to my guy, who suggested that Nimbus is "wondering where the Cheese Guy has gone," that no, in fact I believe this is more of a routine-based behavior. In short, you have been accepted as one of His Humans, and now he must manage you.

Congratulations.

(Little known fact. Cats have a phrase when something is difficult and chaotic. "It's like herding humans.")
I'm probably the most lenient guy on the planet when it comes to my cats. But in spite of an advanced case of "I Can't Say No", I do draw the line at my dinner plate. At mealtime my girl Sheba insists on closely supervising my eating routine. I actually (no exaggeration) place the serving dishes, butter tub, salt & pepper shakers, etc., in a perimeter around my plate to keep those furry paws out of it. Ironically, she doesn't even like people food, so I think she would just play in it more than anything else.

I love the "herding humans" comment. You have an exceptional insight into the feline mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Gypsy respects human mealtimes if there are two of us. She pretends to sleep on a chair in the living room, while listening for whatever telltale sign alerts her that dinner is over and her treat is forthcoming. About the time the dishes are going from table to sink, she appears, demanding her due.

However, if one of us is away, the other one is no longer protected while they eat. She does The Creep, which is to be on the far side of the table no matter how many times you tell her no. Instead, she will hunker down, looking small, and pretend she just wants to be near you. But so incrementally that I don't even know how she does it, I will eventually have a big hairy cat head hovering over my plate.

And god help us if we try anything like eating a pizza in front of the TV. She's all over us like a rash, perfectly willing to step on the pizza you're not eating, and help herself to anything she can get. No matter that if she appeared for her treat and you offered her a slice of pizza, she'd just look at you like you were crazy. Figuring out her food quirks can be exhausting.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
The "you are dead to me" posture is exactly what Fiona would do to me....and she would hold that position for awhile. She didn't do it very often, but each time, it was very clear that was an intentional fit of pique. I miss her so much!

Old 04-19-2018, 12:58 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I say to the H that she's giving us the a$$. We like to talk about her and watch her pretend to ignore us while her ears swivel backwards.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I say to the H that she's giving us the a$$. We like to talk about her and watch her pretend to ignore us while her ears swivel backwards.
LOL. Yeah, it behooves us to remember that cats miss nothing. Those ears and that little brain is still processing information, even when they're asleep. Try to sneak something by your cat...... good luck with that.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
There is another thing that my Nimbus does, that cracks me up.

He "spooks" really easily. I don't know how many times, I've turned to take a step walking in some direction, and at my movement, the cat, who was standing there in the room, does this momentary hyper-alert crouch like I've startled him and he needs to be ready to run away. Door opens upstairs? Spook! Random sound from outside? Spook!

I'm like, "Sweetheart, you're safe. This is your home. Nothing is going to get you."

And he's like, "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT."

I read some scientific article somewhere recently that said the following:

A cat's brain, is more similar to a human's, than it is to a dog's.
The most similar portions of our brains (cats', humans') is the part that controls emotion. Cats may have many of the same feelings that humans do, and are emotionally complex.

I found that interesting. So I'm just sharing that for no particular reason, here.

Nimbus was very frisky last night when I was heading for bed. He was doing little leaps and mock attacks around my legs. I love how no matter how energetic he seems to be, when I go to bed, he jumps up and lays on my legs and tries to sleep with me. Sometimes he just isn't tired, so he gets up in a little while, but he always makes the attempt.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
There is another thing that my Nimbus does, that cracks me up.

He "spooks" really easily. I don't know how many times, I've turned to take a step walking in some direction, and at my movement, the cat, who was standing there in the room, does this momentary hyper-alert crouch like I've startled him and he needs to be ready to run away. Door opens upstairs? Spook! Random sound from outside? Spook!

I'm like, "Sweetheart, you're safe. This is your home. Nothing is going to get you."

And he's like, "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT."

I read some scientific article somewhere recently that said the following:

A cat's brain, is more similar to a human's, than it is to a dog's.
The most similar portions of our brains (cats', humans') is the part that controls emotion. Cats may have many of the same feelings that humans do, and are emotionally complex.

I found that interesting. So I'm just sharing that for no particular reason, here.

Nimbus was very frisky last night when I was heading for bed. He was doing little leaps and mock attacks around my legs. I love how no matter how energetic he seems to be, when I go to bed, he jumps up and lays on my legs and tries to sleep with me. Sometimes he just isn't tired, so he gets up in a little while, but he always makes the attempt.
You know, that really doesn't surprise me. I've been an avid cat watcher for many years, and I believe that cats do show emotions if you know how to read them. I know for a fact they feel loss. I've watched mine 'grieve' on more than one occasion. They will also come to you (sometimes) when they don't feel good, or are stressed. I would agree with that article you read.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
There is another thing Nimbus does that perplexes me. I've read that cats can't taste sweets, they don't have the tastebuds or receptors or whatever for that. Therefore it would follow (?) that a cat wouldn't have any interest in sweet things?

But I have to be careful because Nimbus is ALL ABOUT the sweet stuff. Kid leaves a plate on the counter with pancake syrup all over it? (No butter, just syrup.) Nimbus is right there licking the syrup off. I set a milkshake on the table that was topped with whipped cream, and I turned my back on it for one second, and I came back to find Nimbus licking the whipped cream.

Note...the milkshake was for my son, and I spooned off the very top where the cat had licked it, and did not tell him. Shh!

Ice cream? Oh yeah. He's all over that.

Why would Nimbus love sweets so much if he can't taste them? What's up with that?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
There is another thing Nimbus does that perplexes me. I've read that cats can't taste sweets, they don't have the tastebuds or receptors or whatever for that. Therefore it would follow (?) that a cat wouldn't have any interest in sweet things?

But I have to be careful because Nimbus is ALL ABOUT the sweet stuff. Kid leaves a plate on the counter with pancake syrup all over it? (No butter, just syrup.) Nimbus is right there licking the syrup off. I set a milkshake on the table that was topped with whipped cream, and I turned my back on it for one second, and I came back to find Nimbus licking the whipped cream.

Note...the milkshake was for my son, and I spooned off the very top where the cat had licked it, and did not tell him. Shh!

Ice cream? Oh yeah. He's all over that.

Why would Nimbus love sweets so much if he can't taste them? What's up with that?
Most of the cats I've had in the past didn't show any interest in sweets, with a couple of exceptions. One liked whipped topping and little pieces of glazing off of a donut. She would also lick the plate after a cinnamon roll had been on it. Angel is another one that would lick a little bit of ice cream residue, but nothing else that was sweet. Of course she doesn't do that any more due to diabetes.
I haven't a clue why they would if that's true about no taste buds for it. Maybe some other flavor involved that appeals to some cats. Or maybe somecats can taste sweet a little bit.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:41 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
I read through this whole thread today, and more than a few times laughed out loud. Thanks for sharing your Nimbus with us, Sonic Spork. Looking forward to more episodes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats