Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:35 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times

Advertisements

The stigma of black cats... Associated with bad luck, bad omens, witches, evil and any kind of absurd superstitions, black cats have gained an unfair bad reputation. In my city, Madrid, there are plenty of feral cats (or street cats, anyway, homeless cats) but they usually mistrust and run away from humans. Two days ago, I found a black street cat, hungry, really skinny and running away. I have read in a spanish article, some months ago, that black cats are in trouble because they are rejected from adoption. What a coincidence! I just found another article, this one in english, from one of the most popular newspapers in the UK, telling exactly the same:

It's not fur! Meet the cats no one wants - just because they are black. Can YOU give any of them a home?* | Daily Mail Online

I only looked for black cats, just to see some pics, but seems that the discrimination is a major issue that those animals have to face.

Do you like black cats? would you adopt a black cat or would be better to wait for more beatiful/colorful cats? like they were toys... I have never had a black cat, neither planned to have a cat, we adopted our cat because was searching for food outside home and is tabby but I think that if was black I would have adopted anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Hi Jorge,
Perhaps your newly started thread should be merged with this one also recent:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...-shelters.html

Old 07-18-2017, 04:41 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
Sorry, didn't realize of that.... can be merged.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
The stigma of black cats... Associated with bad luck, bad omens, witches, evil and any kind of absurd superstitions, black cats have gained an unfair bad reputation. In my city, Madrid, there are plenty of feral cats (or street cats, anyway, homeless cats) but they usually mistrust and run away from humans. Two days ago, I found a black street cat, hungry, really skinny and running away. I have read in a spanish article, some months ago, that black cats are in trouble because they are rejected from adoption. What a coincidence! I just found another article, this one in english, from one of the most popular newspapers in the UK, telling exactly the same:

It's not fur! Meet the cats no one wants - just because they are black. Can YOU give any of them a home?* | Daily Mail Online

I only looked for black cats, just to see some pics, but seems that the discrimination is a major issue that those animals have to face.

Do you like black cats? would you adopt a black cat or would be better to wait for more beatiful/colorful cats? like they were toys... I have never had a black cat, neither planned to have a cat, we adopted our cat because was searching for food outside home and is tabby but I think that if was black I would have adopted anyway.
Do I like black cats? ..............Yes

Would I adopt a black cat?..... Yes

Wait for a more colorful one?...NO

I have never 'chosen' a cat. They all found their way to me on their own. But if I were to pick one, it would be based on personality more than anything else.

People who choose a cat (or any pet) based solely on color and little else aren't really adopting a pet, but rather obtaining an object. A cats color doesn't matter to me, and probably most others. And those folks who do have a liking for a particular color/pattern of coat are ok, as long as that's not the only criteria used. I have heard about cats being returned by an adopter because the cat's color didn't match the décor in the home (). Those are the people I'm talking about.

I had a black cat (RB 2015) and he was the sweetest guy in the whole-wide-world . Wish he was still with me.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM

993 posts, read 62,525 times
I have a beautiful and very sweet black kitty named Scarlett...I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
My sister-in-law's first black cat came to her via the backyard, asking not for food but for a lap and some petting. She had been abandoned by someone's tenant who took off in the night without her. She (Kitty) eventually wore s-i-l down and she took her in and what a sweetheart! Very malnourished, would eat nothing, and I mean nothing, but dry Meow Mix and died horribly young and broke my sister-in-law's heart. She was a dog person before Kitty. I babysat Kitty from time to time and would gladly have kept her myself.

When she had been gone almost a year, sister-in-law adopted another cat - female and jet black, because in her head that was what love in cat form looked like. That's Willow, doing fine, and they're attached at the hip.

It hasn't stopped her trying to lure in the big orange tom who strays around. She's already named him Braveheart.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Lucky is a black cat, and so is Bandit, my one son's cat. Both are sweethearts. Lucky doesn't have a mean bone in his body and loves to just sit on my lap and stare up at me and purr like mad. Those myths about black cats are disturbing and horrible.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
At present I don't have a black cat but I had Swatcha, Bear, & Andy. (I had Swatcha & Bear at the same time.) I miss them all very much. Would I get another black one, in a heart beat.

Cat

Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
come to think of it, I rarely see black cats anymore.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:58 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
My Shadow. Literally. We adopted him from a Shelter. If you have ever seen pictures of a Bombay Breed cat, that is what he looked like. Very similar to a Siamese in body shape, but with the sleekest, shiny black coat and big GOLD eyes. Although I never let him outside to roam, I was especially careful around Halloween time.

He was also a sweet baby. No other "Panther" likes traits other than his physical appearance. Adopt another Black Cat? Of course, but only from a Shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats