Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM

444 posts, read 387,753 times

Advertisements

So my BF and I were given a kitten that was found on the street. After taking him to the vet (which he really didn't like) and given medication for his ringworm (again which he didn't like). The kitten runs away from us. I know he hated when we gave him the medication. To the point that we just gave up and let the ringworm run it's course. We have a 3 year old cat that the kitten LOVES to death. Our Henry is Jack's older brother in every sense.

What Henry does 2 seconds later Jack is right behind him doing...expect letting Mommy and Daddy pet him.

What should we do? He is slowly coming closer to us. But Jack still runs when we enter a room, or cross his path. He is the cutest thing and all I want to do is pick him up and give him kisses. We have had him for about a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
IMO, you should not let ringworm run its course. It could spread to your other cat--and you and your BF! Please talk to your vet about this. If you mean roundworm, he may need another dose of medication (we've had kittens need up to 3 doses of that) and again, that could spread to your other cat.

To bond with your kitten, play with him--a wand toy will be fun for him and Jack too. Kittens can't resist playtime.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 PM

No it's ringworm and the medication that the vet gave me was liquid to apply directly on him. I think it was burning him. He was hissing at us. We couldn't confine him. I found something that I can spray on a cloth and wipe him down WHEN he lets me get him and spray on his bed. His hair is growing back and the flaky skin is gone.

So far BF and I have been fine and my other cat. I constantly look at Henry's coat and skin. When I say Jack stays away from us he was like that for two weeks. He would sit by the window, in the sun. It has been a week that he has been around us more and more.

We do play with him.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
No it's ringworm and the medication that the vet gave me was liquid to apply directly on him. I think it was burning him. He was hissing at us. We couldn't confine him. I found something that I can spray on a cloth and wipe him down WHEN he lets me get him and spray on his bed. His hair is growing back and the flaky skin is gone.

So far BF and I have been fine and my other cat. I constantly look at Henry's coat and skin. When I say Jack stays away from us he was like that for two weeks. He would sit by the window, in the sun. It has been a week that he has been around us more and more.

We do play with him.
He will, in time, come around. For now, let him approach you and associate you with good things (playtime, treats).

Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Thanks, last night when I got home Jack came out and watched me wash dishes then I gave him and Henry treats. Henry of course comes right up. Jack it took several tries to get him to come to my hand. So we are making progress.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
How old is Jack? He is probably scared and not sure whom he can trust. He'll come around eventually. Thank you for taking care of him, he is lucky!!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
How old is Jack? He is probably scared and not sure whom he can trust. He'll come around eventually. Thank you for taking care of him, he is lucky!!
The vet thinks he is either 6 or 8 weeks. Just a baby. So yes he doesn't know us at all. When I think of him being on the street my heart breaks. I live in New York City and the area where the friend found him is a busy area. I can only imagine the noise and people scaring him. Whenever I go to him to give him the medicine I am slow with my movements, I show him my hands.

We were talking about getting another cat and I had just had a miscarriage so the timing seemed like it was meant to be to get this new baby. Picture below. He is so beautiful. I'm a BIG animal lover. If Henry and Jack didn't get along I have friends that know friends that would have found him a loving home.
Attached Thumbnails
New kitten is slow to warm up to BF and I...-jack.jpg  

Old 08-17-2017, 03:46 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
The vet thinks he is either 6 or 8 weeks. Just a baby. So yes he doesn't know us at all. When I think of him being on the street my heart breaks. I live in New York City and the area where the friend found him is a busy area. I can only imagine the noise and people scaring him. Whenever I go to him to give him the medicine I am slow with my movements, I show him my hands.

We were talking about getting another cat and I had just had a miscarriage so the timing seemed like it was meant to be to get this new baby. Picture below. He is so beautiful. I'm a BIG animal lover. If Henry and Jack didn't get along I have friends that know friends that would have found him a loving home.

He is soooooooooo adorable. Yea, it takes a few weeks for any cat to trust you and to really warm up to someone. But especially one so young who was on the streets. Just keep on doing what you're doing. The last one I adopted ( a few months back) ran from me for a couple of months but I would consistently reach out to her to pet her and try to get a snuggle. Turns out she is not one who appreciates being held but I will still love on her and rub her and on the rare occasion I can pick her up for a quick kiss before she's wanting to be put down. LOL........I love that cat!!!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:39 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
He's lovely, and of course he was meant to be. Cats happen that way.

When I adopted mine, she was not a lap cat - I was repeatedly warned, NOT a lap cat. She didn't like being picked up, didn't want to be held, etc. However, watching her, I was sure she had ear mites, so off to the vet. No mites, but a low grade infection in both ears and here she was, brand new to us, and I had to put her on the counter every night and put ear drops we had to keep refrigerated in both her poor ears. Then I had to wash them weekly and I thought she would never trust me. But I picked her up carefully and talked to her gently and apologized the whole time, but got it done and over with and offered her treats. Some nights she would blast off the counter and run away, but would return, wet-headed and angry looking, waiting for her treat. (Get good treats.)

When I got her a scratching post that she could sit on to look out the window, I would stand and talk to her sometimes and then I would venture an arm around her for a pat, then both arms for a hug, but I would make very sure to let go completely when she squirmed and step back. That way I won her over little by little and one night she was sitting on the end table near me, stood up and stretched, and dropped like a brick into my lap, where she purred like mad and slept for hours. She still doesn't like being picked up, but she will be a lap cat on her terms and is much better about being petted and kissed and handled. Claw clipping is no problem.

Just go slowly and don't give up.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 AM

Oh Jack loves his treats. He likes to play with them first them eat.

I've had 2 other cats but Jack is the youngest. Watching him grow is amazing. He was so tiny and now he looks like a mini panther, lol.

I spend more time with the cats so Jack is opening up to me more. My BF is working on it but he doesn't have patience, LOL. I keep telling him a) he is a kitten that was living on the streets, b) he was kitten living on the streets and we've giving him yucky medicine
When we met Henry took to BF instantly and he feel in love. He was not a cat person at all. In fact he is the one who wanted to get another cat. Don't get me wrong if I was rich I would have an animal sanctuary. So BF was expecting the kitten to welcome us with open paws. I had to explain cats are not like dogs (which he had)

I'm confident Jack will come around with lots of treats and play time...and Henry.

He loves his big brother so much. Below are some photos of Jack doing what Henry does. It was too adorable to not capture.
Attached Thumbnails
New kitten is slow to warm up to BF and I...-henry-jack.jpg   New kitten is slow to warm up to BF and I...-henry-jack-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats