Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

I have always had cats and dogs - no real horror stories - they either loved each other or ignored each other, but in all cases, throughout many years, always peacefully co-existed.

I was just ready to adopt two cats (tabbys) and their owner told me that they don't like dogs and had in fact attacked her large (80 lb.) dog and that she spent a day pulling claws out of the dog! I have never heard of such a thing.

She adopted the cats as kittens and they were feral but are now house cats.

Now I am wondering how to find docile cats to get along with my senior Chihuahua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I brought a tiny kitten home to a house with two adult dogs. At first the dogs would drool and act like they wanted to chomp on her, which was totally out of character for both of them. After a few days of keeping the kitten safe, the dogs came in one day and started their b.s. but she wasn't going to have it. Balancing herself on the tip of my knee, she hissed back at them and at once they got the message. Eventually, I would find all three of them snuggled together at nap time.

They will learn to communicate with each other and know when it is time to back off. Give it a go for a few days but keep a close on the situation. Perhaps an older cat might work with the chihuahua?

Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have always had cats and dogs - no real horror stories - they either loved each other or ignored each other, but in all cases, throughout many years, always peacefully co-existed.

I was just ready to adopt two cats (tabbys) and their owner told me that they don't like dogs and had in fact attacked her large (80 lb.) dog and that she spent a day pulling claws out of the dog! I have never heard of such a thing.

She adopted the cats as kittens and they were feral but are now house cats.

Now I am wondering how to find docile cats to get along with my senior Chihuahua.
Those previously feral cats may not be completely domesticated (and may never be 100%). They may not have been raised properly around dogs either. But no matter, keep looking. These two cats may not be right for your dog, but there are plenty out there that will be. Check local humane society or rescue org. and be sure to ask about dog-friendly cats. If possible, take your dog for a meet and greet.
Some cats fear or don't like dogs, of course, but I believe there are many, many more out there that do. Don't give up yet.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Thank you.

I had never heard of a team of cats attacking dogs without provocation - and the owner said she had to "pull the claws out of the dog." That just seems so over-the-top to me - had never imagined it as a possibility.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Yeah, like I said before, sounds like they still have a lot of fear-aggression, and that tells me they're still pretty much feral. The can be so-called house cats, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are socialized.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My cat growing up was a inside /outside cat. One day the neighbors pair of German Shepards, who were allowed to roam came into our yard. My cat hated those dogs. I saw her chasing them out of our yard and jump on one of the dogs back dig her claws in and road it until it got to the property line and jumped off. The one that was ridden was yelping all the way home. Didn't see them around our house after that.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:24 PM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
I love dogs, I've had two. As of now, I only have cats. One is extremely friendly towards dogs, people, other cats. The other doesn't seem to like any of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats