Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
The Three Lives of Tomasina...I saw that when I was little, and it broke my heart (well, until I saw the ending). That was one of those Disney movies that has stayed with me my entire life. Really really good, though it can be upsetting for young children.
Thomasina also stayed with me my entire life-and I do remember crying when I first saw it as a kid. To this day, when I hear Loch Lomond-I think of the funeral scene of the movie and get weepy.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Thomasina also stayed with me my entire life-and I do remember crying when I first saw it as a kid. To this day, when I hear Loch Lomond-I think of the funeral scene of the movie and get weepy.

Cat
Disney movies had a habit of doing that. Mine was Old Yeller. I still don't like movies with sad endings.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Disney movies had a habit of doing that. Mine was Old Yeller. I still don't like movies with sad endings.
Ugh, don't even mention that movie. My mother took us to see it as kids and I've never forgiven her. There's an even sadder one, a French short film, about a boy who loses his dog and searches all over Paris for it. When he finally found him, a blind man had found him first and was being helped by him and the boy lets them go. I don't remember the name of it but I cried like a baby.

On a less sad note, there's a foreign animated cat movie called Felidae that I'd like to see since I read the book. It's the first place I remember hearing a cat refer to its owner as a can opener - and various other seriously unflattering things. The book was from the cat's point of view and it was quite good.

I'm adding a link to a beautiful love story even though it's about a dog. It's very short, loving, and beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zQbsEGh_Q

Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I just remembered another called Secondhand Lions. There is an elderly lion who ends up having an important role in the movie.
That was a wonderful movie. x

Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned. "Ffolkes"

Roger Moore plays the part well of a cantankerous and somewhat misogynist ex-military commander who has a specialized hostage rescue team. Anthony Perkins is the bad guy. Commander Ffolkes happens to have a soft spot for cats though.

My favorite line is when he's drinking with a guy and asks him if he likes cats. There's a bit of a pause and he glares at him and says, "I don't much like anyone who doesn't like cats." The cats are not a huge part of the movie but they play a memorable part near the end.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,038 times
Quote:
Oh gosh, I saw Old Yeller when I was a kid - I think I was around 13 or so at the time - along with my best friend and my sister. A local church was holding a bake sale and was also screening a free movie in the church's basement, so we went to check it out. The movie turned out to be Old Yeller, and none of us had seen it before this. We were the only ones who went in to watch it, and when the movie was over, there we were, three young teens emerging from a church, all of us sobbing uncontrollably.

It was a great many years before I was able to watch it again. Then and after losing my last dog 6 years ago - she resembled Old Yeller partly for her colour, partly for her build, but mostly her personality - I can't bring myself to revisit that film.

[I also love that Spike, who played Old Yeller, was a $3 rescue from a Van Nuys animal shelter.]

Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh, I saw Old Yeller when I was a kid - I think I was around 13 or so at the time - along with my best friend and my sister. A local church was holding a bake sale and was also screening a free movie in the church's basement, so we went to check it out. The movie turned out to be Old Yeller, and none of us had seen it before this. We were the only ones who went in to watch it, and when the movie was over, there we were, three young teens emerging from a church, all of us sobbing uncontrollably.

It was a great many years before I was able to watch it again. Then and after losing my last dog 6 years ago - she resembled Old Yeller partly for her colour, partly for her build, but mostly her personality - I can't bring myself to revisit that film.

[I also love that Spike, who played Old Yeller, was a $3 rescue from a Van Nuys animal shelter.]
Oh man, I apologize for mentioning that movie . Being an old codger I didn't think many would have heard of it. That's what I get for thinking . I feel like I owe everyone a box of tissues.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:45 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,038 times
Quote:
Oh man, I apologize for mentioning that movie . Being an old codger I didn't think many would have heard of it. That's what I get for thinking . I feel like I owe everyone a box of tissues.
Well if you're an old codger, I guess that makes me an old codgerette. I remember all of those older movies, including Black Beauty, Lassie Come Home, and The Incredible Journey (the original, with Luath, Tao, and Bodger). All heartbreakers, all movies that have stayed with us forever. It was tough being an animal-loving kid back then! Not that it's any easier these days though...I saw Marley & Me with my son on Christmas Day back when it first came out, and I was a weepy, soppy mess at the end of the film. And I *never* cry in public.

Someone up there really needs to make the expiry dates on animals much, much longer.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well if you're an old codger, I guess that makes me an old codgerette. I remember all of those older movies, including Black Beauty, Lassie Come Home, and The Incredible Journey (the original, with Luath, Tao, and Bodger). All heartbreakers, all movies that have stayed with us forever. It was tough being an animal-loving kid back then! Not that it's any easier these days though...I saw Marley & Me with my son on Christmas Day back when it first came out, and I was a weepy, soppy mess at the end of the film. And I *never* cry in public.

Someone up there really needs to make the expiry dates on animals much, much longer.
Ok. Welcome to the club.... the more the merrier.

I did the same thing when Hooch took a bullet in Turner & Hooch. But the ending was cute enough to almost make up for it.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 20,944 times
One of my all time favorite movies is the animated "Gay Puree," with the main character voiced by Judy Garland. I think it originally came out in the 1960's. My mom had the video of the movie and we watched it when I was a little kid. Still love that movie to this day, although I don't have VHS player to watch it anymore!
That started my love of white cats ~ now I have two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats