Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times

Advertisements

What canned foods do your kitties like and eat consistently? Whatever Chewy sells (I do try to avoid carageenan and limit fish because of mercury) I've probably bought for them and though they initially like whatever food I buy, they quickly grow tired of it and won't eat it. We have a friend who feeds lots of ferals so he gets plenty of hand-me-down food, but this is getting really expensive and I'd like to find a rotation they actually continue to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
I know the feeling!

The staple of my cat's wet food is Wellness, followed by Nature's Variety Instinct. I have also recently discovered a brand called Fromm's (from Canada) that she likes. Sometimes also Nutro (specifically the duck flavor). Nutro also has these little single-serving things I find convenient.

Basically you should go to one of those "natural" pet food stores and start trying things. Most of them have a return policy that lets you return items your cat didn't like (even, already opened).

Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
BTW, you might also want to try RadCat or some other commercial raw.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:04 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Fancy Feast classics chicken (pate) is the food that all four of our cats will eat any day of the week. We buy it by the case from either chewy or the local pet store.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
The staples that Nimbus likes best, are Fancy Feast chunky, in the chicken or turkey flavors, and Nutro Max Duck chunks in sauce. (For a "gravy" variety, it has decent carb numbers.) Once in a while I'll mix it up. He really loves the Natural Balance Catatouille (which I believe is mostly chicken) and sometimes I just pick up a few odd cans of something different. I never even bother to buy fish, only birds & bunnies.

Speaking of bunnies though, I really cannot recommend enough the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Mixers in rabbit. I've said it before, I'll say it again, these things prevent waste of canned food. All I have to do is crumble a couple of them and sprinkle on the food and Nimbus eats it. They make good treats, too.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:36 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Earthborn. It isn't like I have a choice. I got it for my cat and he will accept no other. I always add water and sometimes coconut oil. I try not to give my cat fish but, he will accept no substitute. I order it off Chewy. I heard petsmart bought them out but for my money -- good service and good prices.

True story I got a bad batch of food once and I e-mailed chewy to just tell them that the batch wasn't good and they sent me TWO boxes free.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I know the feeling!

The staple of my cat's wet food is Wellness, followed by Nature's Variety Instinct. I have also recently discovered a brand called Fromm's (from Canada) that she likes. Sometimes also Nutro (specifically the duck flavor). Nutro also has these little single-serving things I find convenient.

Basically you should go to one of those "natural" pet food stores and start trying things. Most of them have a return policy that lets you return items your cat didn't like (even, already opened).

Yep, have tried Fromm's (I really like that they don't source ingredients from china) and Nutro, last time I bought nutro perfect portions they would not touch it. Wonder if they changed the formula. We are in the boonies so no natural pet food stores around here, that's why I usually order from Chewy. When we were in the city I checked trader joe's pet food brand, but it all seemed to contain carageenan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, you might also want to try RadCat or some other commercial raw.

I tried raw (instinct and another brand, can't remember what it was) and absolutely no interest by any of them. Which is too bad because I know someone who feeds her dogs raw exclusively and their health has improved tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Fancy Feast classics chicken (pate) is the food that all four of our cats will eat any day of the week. We buy it by the case from either chewy or the local pet store.

Our super picky almost 18 year old does love Fancy Feast and eats it every day, it seems to be kitty crack. At her age she can eat whatever she wants. But I'd like the younger ones to eat more of a variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The staples that Nimbus likes best, are Fancy Feast chunky, in the chicken or turkey flavors, and Nutro Max Duck chunks in sauce. (For a "gravy" variety, it has decent carb numbers.) Once in a while I'll mix it up. He really loves the Natural Balance Catatouille (which I believe is mostly chicken) and sometimes I just pick up a few odd cans of something different. I never even bother to buy fish, only birds & bunnies.

Speaking of bunnies though, I really cannot recommend enough the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Mixers in rabbit. I've said it before, I'll say it again, these things prevent waste of canned food. All I have to do is crumble a couple of them and sprinkle on the food and Nimbus eats it. They make good treats, too.

Oh, catatouille, much loved here too. I used it as a topper for while, to get them to eat the other food. But they would lick off the gravy and ignore the food it was topping. Tried nutro gravy but have to avoid, our sensitive stomach kitty has a nasty reaction to it so I don't buy it anymore. The pate nutro does not seem to cause problems, but last time I bought some (pretty recently) they would not eat it all, just sniffed at it and left it.

Hmm, I wonder if the raw mixers are what I bought for them before and they ignored it, I will have to check the chewy order history. If not, will definitely try it and sprinkle it on their food, thank you!!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Earthborn. It isn't like I have a choice. I got it for my cat and he will accept no other. I always add water and sometimes coconut oil. I try not to give my cat fish but, he will accept no substitute. I order it off Chewy. I heard petsmart bought them out but for my money -- good service and good prices.

True story I got a bad batch of food once and I e-mailed chewy to just tell them that the batch wasn't good and they sent me TWO boxes free.

Yes, chewy has fabulous customer service. I called one time to check if there had been a food recall because 2 of the kitties were quite barfy after we received an order. They refunded all of the money for the entire order. They also send us a Christmas card every year. Probably because of all the orders I place.

You are lucky you only have one picky kitty, we have 5 to please.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
My cats like Fancy Feast Classic, a pate style....seafood is first, then chicken and beef.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Yep, have tried Fromm's (I really like that they don't source ingredients from china) and Nutro, last time I bought nutro perfect portions they would not touch it. Wonder if they changed the formula. We are in the boonies so no natural pet food stores around here, that's why I usually order from Chewy. When we were in the city I checked trader joe's pet food brand, but it all seemed to contain carageenan.

I tried raw (instinct and another brand, can't remember what it was) and absolutely no interest by any of them. Which is too bad because I know someone who feeds her dogs raw exclusively and their health has improved tremendously.

Our super picky almost 18 year old does love Fancy Feast and eats it every day, it seems to be kitty crack. At her age she can eat whatever she wants. But I'd like the younger ones to eat more of a variety.

Oh, catatouille, much loved here too. I used it as a topper for while, to get them to eat the other food. But they would lick off the gravy and ignore the food it was topping. Tried nutro gravy but have to avoid, our sensitive stomach kitty has a nasty reaction to it so I don't buy it anymore. The pate nutro does not seem to cause problems, but last time I bought some (pretty recently) they would not eat it all, just sniffed at it and left it.

Hmm, I wonder if the raw mixers are what I bought for them before and they ignored it, I will have to check the chewy order history. If not, will definitely try it and sprinkle it on their food, thank you!!
Yeah, they are little pellets. They do have some filler ingredients if I recall, but a significant proportion of the ingredients were freeze dried meat, mostly rabbit, some pork. I just smoosh 2-3 between my fingers and top the food with it.

I'm thankful because it seems to help on those occasions where he sniffs his food and then gives me that look. You know the one. He sits down and looks at me with those big eyes, and he's like "I'm sorry mama but this isn't what I wanted. You will give me something different, yes?" That pitiable, adorable look.

I'm able to find small pouches of it for like $1.99 at Petsmart. We don't go through it fast, so I don't buy a lot at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats