Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM

17,348 posts, read 11,297,907 times

Advertisements

When I brought my cat home she was feral and had lived on her own outside for many years. Because I had a dog which hated cats and she hated dogs, I made the garage her home for a while and she adapted amazingly well. Not once did she poop or pee on the floor and went right to the litter box to do her business. Even though she hid for a few days, she would still come out of hiding to use the box. No training needed.

Last edited by marino760; 07-26-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Even tiny kittens can use the box. Years ago our cat had three kittens and almost immediately I set up a small box just for them. As soon as they could walk fairly well, they used their special box...it was the lid of a shoe box!

Old 07-27-2018, 07:10 AM

17,348 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Even tiny kittens can use the box. Years ago our cat had three kittens and almost immediately I set up a small box just for them. As soon as they could walk fairly well, they used their special box...it was the lid of a shoe box!
That's an adorable story and I think proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it's an instinct and they are born with it.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's an adorable story and I think proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it's an instinct and they are born with it.

Wish I could be a mom to three kittens again...oh what fun, every day. So many stories to remember about them....

ps we ended up keeping them all, too precious to adopt out!

Old 07-27-2018, 09:18 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,341,326 times
I had a stray feral have her kittens in my garage once.

I discovered that four cats, defying all laws of physics and thermodynamics, can, on a daily basis, turn 36 ounces of basic sustenance into 16 pounds of poop. Outside of politics I’ve not seen a conversion quite like it.

One morning I had to clean up a stain the size of Vermont where Mama feral horked up what appeared to be William Shatner's Toupee. Cats can be so much fun. I built a simple little outdoor litter box that they used. 4 walls and sandbox sand.
If cats are not using the litter boxes, you can sprinkle some Cat Attract, which is an herbal attractant with a scent that cats love. Make the kitties more comfortable with using outdoor litter boxes by choosing a location that is quiet and sheltered. Purrs the word.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 PM

158 posts, read 196,782 times
In one of the houses I lived at, I decided to make a nice zen garden in the back yard. We lived in the southwest part of the U.S., so having rocks and gravel in your backyard was commonplace. I had the landscapers deliver a ton of 'play sand' in the back yard, and I had boulders and plants placed strategically. Then I got a nice wooden rake to groom the sand, just like a zen garden. Well, my cats would go out there and dig little holes, and do their business in my sand all the time. At first it was amusing, and I would go out there periodically and clean it up. But then it became an obsession for them, and they would meow and beg to do their business out there all the time. It became a chore in itself to keep it clean. I literally created a huge litter box for them. I agree though, it is interesting they prefer sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats