Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,705,184 times

Advertisements

Ive had numerous cats as pets in my lifetime, many were kittens when I got them, but even going back to the 1990s, late 80s, they ALL knew to use a litter box at a very young age, they never had to be trained to do this.

Does anyone know or can give a good guess when this roughly happened with the species?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,125,387 times
It's believed that cats have always used sand or loose dirt to deposit and cover up their stuff. The litter box is a domestic version of the sand patch out in the wild.
Also, kittens see their mama using the litter box, and they take it from there.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,444,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
It's believed that cats have always used sand or loose dirt to deposit and cover up their stuff. The litter box is a domestic version of the sand patch out in the wild.
Also, kittens see their mama using the litter box, and they take it from there.
Yep, it's an instinctive behavior that they haven't lost over time (thankfully). I've always thought that covering their waste was a self-defense measure to keep predators from tracking them. Don't know if that's correct or not, as that sort of conflicts with the fact that cats in the wild frequently mark their territory.
But whatever the reason, it's a plus for us humans and I hope they never lose that instinct cover up.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:03 PM

11,312 posts, read 19,705,389 times
Our domestic cats are descended from desert felines. This shows not only in their preference for fine grained litter, but in their need for a high moisture diet (low thirst drive).

They don't need to be "trained" to a litter box because it is a natural instinctive behavior for them to toilet in a "sandy" place where they can bury their waste.

They bury because they are prey animals as well as predator, and it is instinctual for them to cover the scent of places where they might be seen as vulnerable. It's also why cats often prefer to poop and pee in different places and there should always be at least two litter boxes, for even only one cat.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:38 PM

29,543 posts, read 22,854,366 times
How do cats know how to use a litter box?

Quote:
People who have never owned or been around cats sometimes imagine that it takes a lot of time and effort to train a cat to use a litter box. We proud cat parents might like to attribute our cat’s use of a litter box to hours of dedicated training, or to our cat’s superior intelligence. However, the truth is that it is relatively simple to teach a cat or kitten to use a litter box because it appeals to their instincts.

Lone feral cats will naturally cover their waste without any training; they do so to cover the scent from predators and competitors. In groups of feral cats, dominant cats will often leave their feces uncovered as a way of marking their territory, while cats lower in the hierarchy are expected to cover their waste as a sign of subordination. Since it’s easier to cover their droppings in soft dirt or sand, cats are naturally attracted to this material.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:32 PM

20,964 posts, read 9,662,163 times
Yeah, I never had to train my cat to use a little box either. Though, I suspect she was living somewhere else before she "chose" me.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM

6,201 posts, read 4,606,993 times
If you have the tiniest kitten in a room with a litter box, they'll find it when they need it.

We have moved twice since having my cat, who has one box (but uses each end for different purposes) and when we get to the new place, I show her her box and let her explore from there. Almost 7 years, 2 moves, no "accidents."

Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 PM

11,312 posts, read 19,705,389 times
One of my cats was a rescued stray who, unbeknownst to me when I trapped her on a friend's property, was raising a litter. We found out when the kittens showed up at their door the day after I trapped her and took her home. They fed the kittens and eventually trapped them and took them to a feral kitten rescue program, all but one, who avoided the traps. She continued to live on their property (later, after much nagging from me, they were able to trap her and had her spayed and returned her to their property)

She was using their garage as shelter and they even built her a little warm cozy house in the work shop side of the garage, , but with winter came frozen ground and deep snow and she started soiling in the garage. They asked me what to do and I said give her a litter box. They thought I was crazy, this was a feral cat, born outside, never been inside, except for 24 hours when she was spayed.

I said Trust me.

They gave her a litter box, and she used it. They were shocked!

Cats are clean animals. They like things tidy and everything in it's place, including their toilet.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,868,646 times
One of our cats has a special sand patch at the edge of the yard that is his private toilet.

But when he's inside, he uses the litter box.

We also have a couple that when they are outside and have to pee, they come in and use the litter box.

We also have one who occasionally pees on the floor. I don't know who it is.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM

255 posts, read 185,604 times
My one kitten had to be trained. She would poop on my bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats