Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times

Advertisements

We have 2 cats, both females. One is a rescue, the other we got as a kitten. One is 5 the other is 2 and they get along very well. We would like to get a kitten from our neighbor who's cat just had a litter. Do we get a male or female??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
In my opinion I would get the male.I always get male cats,for some reason they are more friendly and loving,but that is just my experience and opinion of them.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
We have 2 cats, both females. One is a rescue, the other we got as a kitten. One is 5 the other is 2 and they get along very well. We would like to get a kitten from our neighbor who's cat just had a litter. Do we get a male or female??
Have your 2 girls been spayed? Only consider a male if that's a yes.

(Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here. )

Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 148,239 times
in most animal systems...all female, all male, or paired-up m/f work best. one m with 2 f might turn into a m spraying everything he thinks they own to show off his manliness... then again, you might get a dominant f who does the same...unlikely from a kitten, but not unknown. at least two are impressionable kittens, so that seems to work in your favor. How do you think your odlest cat would respond to being in a herd/pack rather than just as a couple? It would depend on her personality.
In the end, these things are just a crapshoot, and totally up to your own personal opinion. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I started out with three males, they were wonderful, got along really well. Then I adopted two females whose owner passed away in November from Cancer. Then one of my males passed away last week.

One of my males seems to really like the females and actually flirts with one of them. The other male appears to be a militant homosexual and hates them. I should imagine its a toss up but I think you will have better luck if you start out with a baby. You might convince your girls to mother the kitten.

I have never had a male cat spray that was fixed but I know its not imposible.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
I have three males and three females. They all have their own individual personalities and some are more social and affectionate than others, but it doesn't seem to be related to their gender.

As far as a castrated male who sprays, that would be my Smokey. He was extremely territorial and loved to fight. He wouldn't fight with the other cats in the house, but he would spray the place up.

He was a small guy with short hair so he always got the worst of the fights with bigger guys with longer hair that would protect them. I was always taking him to the vet to be stitched up or to get anti-biotic shots. I had a veterinary first aid station in my house just for him where I could cleanse his wounds and take care of any that had abscessed or gotten infected.

If nobody came around to fight, he would go seek them out and sometimes be gone a couple of days to get into the fights where the females were in heat. I never saw him try to mate with a female. He just liked to fight with the males. I tried to turn him into an inside cat, but he would break out the window screens to escape and go fighting.

I even took him to two different vets to have them check to make sure there was nothing left behind when he was neutered and they both said it was just a personality thing.

His belligerent personality only showed up outside around other males. At home he was a sweet mellow guy. They loved him at the vet's office because, besides being a cash cow, he was easy to work on. He would just stand there while they fixed him up and never tried to get away or complain about anything.

He eventually died from Kitty Aids (FIV) that he caught from fighting.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 AM

35 posts, read 148,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have three males and three females. They all have their own individual personalities and some are more social and affectionate than others, but it doesn't seem to be related to their gender.

As far as a castrated male who sprays, that would be my Smokey. He was extremely territorial and loved to fight. He wouldn't fight with the other cats in the house, but he would spray the place up.

He was a small guy with short hair so he always got the worst of the fights with bigger guys with longer hair that would protect them. I was always taking him to the vet to be stitched up or to get anti-biotic shots. I had a veterinary first aid station in my house just for him where I could cleanse his wounds and take care of any that had abscessed or gotten infected.

If nobody came around to fight, he would go seek them out and sometimes be gone a couple of days to get into the fights where the females were in heat. I never saw him try to mate with a female. He just liked to fight with the males. I tried to turn him into an inside cat, but he would break out the window screens to escape and go fighting.

I even took him to two different vets to have them check to make sure there was nothing left behind when he was neutered and they both said it was just a personality thing.

His belligerent personality only showed up outside around other males. At home he was a sweet mellow guy. They loved him at the vet's office because, besides being a cash cow, he was easy to work on. He would just stand there while they fixed him up and never tried to get away or complain about anything.

He eventually died from Kitty Aids (FIV) that he caught from fighting.

Awwww! how sad! My sister has a male cat who likes to fight constantly, too...same story, minus vet checks (pooh!). He always seems to heal fine though...now she is worried about his fighting though and trying to indoor-kitty him and he HATES it...makes more noise than a female in heat! I would, too, if I weren't allowed to play outside!
I hope your other kitties are well!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,174 times
I just adopted two boys, and have a 12 year old female.....

This oughta be good......the boys aren't to meet our girl for at least another 2 possibly 3 weeks, due to needing a full course of wormer, and they both have colds, so until the antibiotic is done, no meeting the diva princess!

I hope the boys will romp and play with each other and pretty much leave my Cleo alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats