Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times

Advertisements

Is there a mirror in there somewhere?

That's too funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 AM

733 posts, read 1,755,635 times
Her first time being outside without me holding her! She enjoyed it for the first couple of minutes, then got a bit cold and ran inside. Lol. I'll probably be sitting outside this Spring and don't want to be mean and make her sit inside and look at me through the window. Luckily, I live in an upstairs apartment, so if I keep her on a leash, she wont have any access to grass and dogs and cats down below wont be able to see her. I'm fine with her being out there on a leash when I'm out there, but too many stray cats and fleas to allow her to be on her own.

Cat outisde by bakern1989, on Flickr

Cat outside by bakern1989, on Flickr

Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
She's very pretty! What's her name? (if you've already told us, forgive me)

Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
She's very pretty! What's her name? (if you've already told us, forgive me)
No worries, I think this is only the second time I posted a picture, so I may not have told you. Her name is Chloe. I named her after our old cat that ran away after only two days.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Hey Bkern -

Pretty cat!

Have you thought about using a kitty harness instead of a collar? Catz can slip out of collars pretty easily. If your cat can tolerate having a harness around her chest you might find that a harness and leash is the safest option. My dog trainer recommended the Petsafe brand as best for cats and dogs.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Cats can slip out of some harnesses pretty easily too. If switching to a harness, use the type in the pic above. Other kinds may or may not work. My girl once slipped out of a harness in less than 5 seconds lol. If the cat has a collar on all the time, then it should be the standard breakaway collar they make for cats, but if you only put it on for walks, it would be fine to use the smallest size dog collar with a buckle that does not come apart when tension is put on it.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
7 month old Bengal at my vet's. He will be one big kitty!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
My input on collars/harnesses/etc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also you mentioned you may have seen some people walking cats on leashes. That's not a bad idea, although it can take some time for a cat to get used to it, some do it more readily than others. If you want to try this, make sure you get a harness and not just a collar like you'd use with a dog. Cats are talented at escaping collars.

There is this one kind of harness that I absolutely LOVE. The velcro fastened "cat jacket."

MynwoodCatJackets.co.uk - The original handmade cat walking jackets in the UK

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat! American

Walking Jacket for Cats. Take your cat for a walk! Safe, secure and fun. and Australian.

My cat though, he just doesn't want to go outside. He gets really scared when he's in an unfamiliar environment and just wants to hide. He's not very brave at all. If this means he lives 100% inside and doesn't try to escape, I am fine with that. We do still put him in a room (a bedroom or bathroom with the door shut) when we bring in groceries or something...just in case.
I totally wanted one, but Nimbus is terrified of "the outside." I figure if that's how he wants to be about it, there's no need to push him...he's perfectly fine, safe, and happy as an inside-only cat. But if I had a cat who seemed like a better candidate for outdoor walkies, I'd totally order one of these cool jacket-harnesses.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM

60 posts, read 134,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
7 month old Bengal at my vet's. He will be one big kitty!
Wow, what a beauty!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Charlie helped me out with what was left of my Yogurt. Greek Plain. So cute. He always gets food on his nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats