Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 04:52 PM

487 posts, read 323,572 times

Advertisements

I read that other things you can try are:

1. Taking the cat for a walk
2. Talking calmly to it
3. Giving it some space, or it's own room with a litter box, food and toys
4. Toys they can jump onto or scratch
5. Make sure there is no hyperthyroid condition, although this is more likely in senior cats
6. Make sure it's not in pain
7. Spray feline pheromones

Less likely, but a dirty litter box can make you cat act out. I read you should change the litter and clean the box every month. I do it every other month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 05:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
You have not yet figured it out:>) What games will your furry play with you?

Old 01-06-2023, 10:08 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Two years old can be sort of like their teenage years, where they have more energy than they know what to deal with.

Have you tried ping pong balls in the bathtub? Toss them in and let the antics begin!

I agree with using Da Bird. There's another toy called the Cat Dancer that is basically wire with strips of cardboard at the end that cats love.

Frankly, you may need to keep your kitties separate at times if she gets too ranbunctious. She'll calm down. . .eventually. LOL
Our two year old spent her first six months at the Humane Society and was a total menace for the first year she was here, now she is just a menace. I have given her ping pong balls but I have no idea what she does with them...can't find them anywhere in the house. So, as soon as I'm off the keyboard, I'll drop a pair in the tub. Thanks so much for the idea, but I'm guessing she will pick them up and hide them somewhere.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:56 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Sounds like a normal cat to me.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:38 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
OP, your cat sounds like my little Violet. I get her to burn off some of that mischievous activity with a laser toy. I bought the rechargeable one from Chewy and even my older cats love it.

https://www.chewy.com/litterboxcom-r...aser/dp/278276

Old 01-06-2023, 04:53 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
OP, your cat sounds like my little Violet. I get her to burn off some of that mischievous activity with a laser toy. I bought the rechargeable one from Chewy and even my older cats love it.

https://www.chewy.com/litterboxcom-r...aser/dp/278276

Thanks, she likes the laser, but so does the older cat and when their paths cross, my DH goes wild - he and the older one need to get a room, they are that in love. So when the younger one, who plays rough, gets too near he starts yelling and it's not worth it.
And for all her energy, she's afraid of her own shadow. I love the idea of ping pong balls in the tub, but if I put her in the tub, she'd probably have a panic attack.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:13 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
Try boxes. My kitty has a couple large athletic shoe boxes. She chews and scratches on one and snuggles in the other. Just an idea.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:54 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
I have a 2 y.o. cat too. She was a rescue kitty. She is the most inquisitive cat and also mischievous. She will not give my poor houseplants a break. It's a good thing I love her right to pieces because she has killed some very older sentimental plants. I play with her and talk to her a lot! I play the laser light game, roll a little light-up ball, and give her some catnip. Hang in there, eventually your cat will mellow out.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:25 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You have not yet figured it out:>) What games will your furry play with you?
Funny you should mention that because she had a skinny mouse (unstuffed) that she likes. It used to belong to the older cat, but when younger came along, she appropriated everything. Not to be put off so easily, I bought 2 more, in different colors. They all disappeared under something (dresser, couch, fridge). While cleaning, I found 2 of the 3 and younger cat loved having them back. Of course, her favorite thing to do with them is push them under the couch and then stare at us. We're supposed to read her mind, get the broomstick, and retrieve them for her so she can do it again.
One night we had retrieved a skinny mouse at least 3 times between the 2 of us and told her forget it, you're on your own. After having stared for longer than usual, she took off and started making a hellish racket in the kitchen. So you know she was getting the (correct) broomstick herself, having decided we were too stupid to understand the game, so she was going to give us a hint.
That was the day I realized we don't play games with her, she plays games with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats