Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 02:48 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times

Advertisements

The energy level is too much and other than wand things, and wind up things, and throwing some things (that she never brings back) I don't know what more I can do to keep her from tormenting our older cat all day looking for a game. She has every toy there is, along with bottle caps and tin foil balls, a big tree to climb and lots of stuff to watch out the windows, food puzzles, yet she wants to play WITH someone and I'm out of ideas and open to suggestions.

She inserts herself into everything I'm doing, which is fine except for the fact that she's a bull in a china shop. She overturned scraps yesterday. They were on their way to the compost and ended up in my gardening boots before I could make it out the door. I have a turtle and she wants to be a part of feeding time every day, which is fine, but she wants to smell the turtle food, and eat a piece, and stand on top of the tank when it's closed, and when it's open. She wants to watch me sew and never misses an opportunity to dump a box of pins on the floor. I grow them cat grass and she eats all my houseplants.
Basically, no matter what you're doing, if there one thing, or one square inch, that you don't want her in, she'll find it. I know she's young and needs stimulation, but I don't know what to do with her.
Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 04:53 PM

487 posts, read 324,032 times
Does catnip calm her down?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:21 PM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Another energetic kitten for her to play with? Well, 2-year-old kitten.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:43 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Aww she needs Da Bird cat toy you can play with her with until she is so tired she can barely eat after chasing it.

Cats are perfect little hunters and yours is still kittenish. I got the da bird cat toy idea from Jackson Galaxy. I looked in Amazon and found it the original Da Bird and I got some of the refills. They had a blast especially my boy. He was attacking his sister so much she would cry in panic every time I went to work. Then one day I watched Jackson Galaxy and he explained how important it is to play with cats.

Every night we would play until he got tired then I would feed them after play time. before bed I always put fresh water in a nice clean, not just rinsed out, bowl with two different flavors of wet food. During the day I put out dry food and again two different flavors.

They need food after playing then nap or overnight sleep.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:48 PM

She loves catnip and will nap after running wild on it. No to another young cat because I can barely feed these two chowhounds and the poor older cat has enough to deal with. It's taken a while, but she will sometimes play, but she has limits.

I have da bird and tie all kinds of things onto wand toys, I wrap them around the scratch posts on her cat tree so she can play by herself (which she does). We have a furry rat that hangs in a doorway and leave it up for her. That's one of her favorites and I can't tell you how hard she tried to get it down when she was younger. We had to take it down sometimes because she was so stubborn and we'd find her panting, laid out, just gathering strength for another run.
And I never just hand her a treat; I toss them and make her run. It's her midnight snack, running after treats. She's also learned to sit and stand up for a treat. It helps her sleep - until about dawn when the parkour routine begins.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Another energetic kitten for her to play with? Well, 2-year-old kitten.
The two of them may join forces to tear up things. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:11 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
She sounds like a pip! Do you have the red dot?

Does your older cat have a preferred hiding place that the younger cat can't get to?

What's the older cat's reaction when the younger cat wants to play?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:15 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Two years old can be sort of like their teenage years, where they have more energy than they know what to deal with.

Have you tried ping pong balls in the bathtub? Toss them in and let the antics begin!

I agree with using Da Bird. There's another toy called the Cat Dancer that is basically wire with strips of cardboard at the end that cats love.

Frankly, you may need to keep your kitties separate at times if she gets too ranbunctious. She'll calm down. . .eventually. LOL

Old 08-30-2022, 06:18 PM

She wasn't into the Cat Dancer, which stunned me. Considering it's some wire and cardboard, it's a really great cat toy that most of them are crazy about.

But a ping pong ball in the bathtub sounds like a winner. I'm going to see if I can find a ping pong ball in the toy collection. She likes the tub. Not the water, mind, but the tub and both sinks. And she would LOVE making noise in the middle of the night.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:56 PM

30,319 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Have you tried ping pong balls in the bathtub? Toss them in and let the antics begin!
Haha, that's hilarious. My younger two (who are 2 & 3 years old now) are mostly calm these days, but I'd love to see how they reacted to that! I'm gonna have to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats