Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 10:51 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times

Advertisements

Jumping on here because our 13 yo cat (female) has just been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (vet says she's stage 2 creatine level of 3.0). I had noticed she was drinking a lot of water and saw huge clumps of urine in the litter box. I thought she might have diabetes but I was wrong. Been weaning her from dry food for a few years now and now planning to go to exclusively canned. Vet has us trying various food: Hill's, Purina, Royal Canin. Boy this stuff is pricey! Was using whole Foods "Whole Paws" canned cat food and the ingredients sounded pretty good but I read somewhere that it has a lot of phosphorus. Vet sold me a bag of (dry) Hill's Kidney Care and some of the ingredients aren't better than regular store cat food...brown rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, powdered cellulose, egg "product" (?) soybean oil.

Catsmom21: the catinfo.org website is great. That's where we got the idea of making litter boxes out of storage totes and they work fantastic! I'll have to read up on nutrition. Apparently have been making the mistake of feeding our cats (we have another female 11yo) salmon cat food. Looks like I'll be sticking w/chix. Prob have to go with Hill's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 08:33 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,896,864 times
We were in Bogota, Colombia some months back and took out little guy (not so little 13 pounds) to a specialty vet clinic with 40 vets including dentist, orthopedist, laparoscopic surgeon, dermatologist, PT, psychologist, rheumatologist, ophthalmologist etc. The place was amazing and the care was a fraction of what you pay here. Anyway they determined he had kidney issues and put him Hills Prescription K/D Diet Wet Food, which he was not crazy about, after many years of his Wellness Skipjack Tuna and Wild Salmon entree. He eventually got used to it and there are no problems now. Those anti vomit bowls really work amazingly well. He used to vomit 4-5 times a week and now is once or twice a month, I saw them at the vet and decided to try one and its fantastic.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:54 AM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
My sweet cat started having kidney issues at age 19, I gave her only wet food with water added in the food she really liked that, also plenty of fresh spring water, they like fresh water daily.

My sweet cat almost made it to her 22 Birthday.

If I ever have another cat I will only feed raw diet.

They need to stop making dry cat food no cat should ever eat this !

Thank you catsmom21 !

Old 04-28-2023, 10:03 AM

1,191 posts, read 615,484 times
I don't think cats are made to eat dry food. I never gave my cat dry food, only wet. He is still overweight and is now drinking more water. He will be 16 in a couple of more months. I'm thinking raw food diet as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats