Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 02:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
That is so good to hear (about resuming dry food), and glad he is back to normal. The vet told me this too, but I just couldn't imagine how they can eat dry food with little or no teeth. Thankfully, I recently switched them to Stella & Chewy dry food, which are much smaller morsels than the previous dry (RAWZ). Also switched over to S&C canned food, which she really gobbles down.

I just heard from the Vet. The cleaning and extractions went very well and I can pick her up in a couple of hours. They only needed to extract the badly-affected upper canines, and all other teeth are healthy and clean now. She will be on a wet food diet for the next 8 days, and I'll have meds to administer 2x/day during that time (that will be interesting). I'm relieved it was only the 2 teeth for now. But I know it could affect others in the coming years, so we'll have to monitor the situation with annual exams going forward.

I'm glad to know that after she is fully healed, we can resume her regular diet of wet in the A.M, and and dry to graze on throughout the day.

Thanks for your reassuring reply!

Thanks for the update. So glad all is well. I beg you to keep her on the wet diet. No more kibble! She'll be so much healthier.

(most kibble fed cats swallow kibble whole anyway so no teeth is not a deterrent, but it's so bad for them, better just to feed them wet only)

What are the pain meds? Most pain meds (buprenorphine for example) these days are meant to be absorbed through the mucus membranes in the mouth, you just squirt it in aiming for the gums, no need to struggle getting it "down the throat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 08:12 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,111 times
When I went to pick her up from the procedure today, the vet said that she did not have tooth absorption after all. She had severe periodontal disease, but only in the 2 upper canines and not in any of the other teeth, which is weird. She thought that maybe prior to my adopting her, she may have had an injury to those upper canines that began a slow bacterial invasion over the years of the 2 canines that finally resulted in the periodontal disease. This is just a guess, but it's all they could surmise in this case.

Anyway, the 2 canines and roots were extracted and sutured. So it's actually great news that it wasn't tooth absorption after all. With good dental care, she should be able to retain the remaining teeth.

She was very woozie tonight, and will receive antibiotics for 10 days, but should be fine after that. Even though very out of it this evening, she managed to gobble down 2 cans of wet food, which is a very good sign.

Also, the bill only came to ~$600 for cleaning and extractions, versus the 1,500-2,000 estimate I received last week. So all in all, a good outcome all the way around.

Thanks to everyone for your concern, advice, and well-wishes. It was enlightening to learn about tooth absorption nevertheless, something I never knew existed.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I'm wondering, does she have any trouble eating with so few teeth left? The vet assured me that cats have no trouble eating even with no teeth. This is hard for me to imagine..

I just dropped my girl off at the Vet clinic for this surgery. I am standing by waiting for a call from the Vet with her assessment of how many teeth she recommends extracting today. Of course, I am pretty nervous waiting for that call. But, we will proceed with her recommendation, whatever it may be.

I am still wondering how I lived all my life with many cats, and never had an experience with this condition, though I'm now aware that it is fairly common in cats. The Vet reiterated that the suspected cause is an auto-immune condition. Some cats have this disorder, and some don't. Simple as that. Luck of the draw, I imagine.

I'm saying a little prayer that all goes smoothly this morning.

Ugh, I am so glad that waiting is behind me!! I remember well what that felt like. Shelly always had blood work done, and I opted for the more intensive heart monitoring (that my vet required for dogs and cats 8 years and older). I always took the day off work and kept my ringer volume on high. Luckily there were never any complications, and her mouth always healed up well.

Shelly has no issues eating with practically no teeth. Very food-motivated, and she always hated the fasting the night before! She will wake out of a deep sleep if you say the word "hungry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats