Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 11:21 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times

Advertisements

Has anyone dealt with tooth resorption with their cats? I just found out today that one of mine has this condition (thought to be an auto immune condition, which is not preventable) and she’s scheduled to have dental surgery for it in 10 days. I have never heard of this condition until today, but the vet said that nearly half of all cats over three years old have at least one tooth affected by this condition. in fact, her cat has it too. Dogs can get this too.

I’m just a wondering if anyone has had this condition with their cats, and if so, what kind of treatment did you get and how did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 06:20 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
It is not uncommon, but I've been fortunate with my cats so far in that only one of them, one of my current two, has had it. We keep up on our cat's dentals so when he was diagnosed with tooth resorption it was pretty early. We talked it over with our vet and decided to do nothing at this point since it is early and we keep up with dental care. Our vet indicated the progression can vary a lot - sometimes it is quick, sometimes it takes years to be an issue. Also, his affected tooth is in the lower jaw, which is riskier removal than the top jaw. particularly where the tooth is still healthy enough to be well rooted. So as of now, we aren't doing anything, but we will definitely be monitoring.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
FORL, Feline Ondontoclastic Resorptive Lesions, also known as neck lesions or tooth resorption, is extremely painful. I'm glad your cat doesn't have to wait much longer for the surgery. I would request they x ray his mouth while under, to make sure no new ones are starting.

No known cause, but some cats seem prone to it. I had a cat who had trouble with it all his short life. He also had a seizure disorder and took phenobarbital all his life, so having so many dental surgeries were always fraught with worry. He had very few teeth remaining when he left me just after he turned 12. (cancer. He also had feline herpes which was so severe when he was a young cat he was in danger of losing his eyes.)

Another cat whom recently left me did have one resorptive lesion resulting in an extraction, but she never had a recurrence.

Good luck to your precious one.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:58 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Our cat was diagnosed with tooth resorption a couple of years ago and extraction was recommended for a mere $800. We travel to Colombia once a year. We decided to take our cat to a feline veterinary dentist there who informed us all the cat needed was a prophylaxis which was done for $40 and the cat has been fine since. When we travel to Colombia we need an international health certificate. Last month we were informed us the cat had tooth resorption and needed teeth extracted. When we got to Colombia we took him to Veterinary specialty clinic with 40 vets including dentists, dermatologists, oncologists, laparoscopic surgeons, physical therapists etc. The vet told us he did not have resorption and seeing a veterinary dentist was unnecessary. Take our experience for what its worth, your cat may be different.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I confess I'm confused about this. She will get a cleaning in 3 days and they will xray all teeth while she's under, then are supposed to call me to tell me what they found and recommend which teeth need to be extracted (if any). But the initial exam indicated the two upper canines were loose and the root areas were enlarged indicating that the canines were being rejected. Weirdly, I had noticed lately that her upper canines seems longer, but I didn't notice the inflammation until last week, as if it had come on very quickly. I fully expect that they will need to remove those upper canines.

I was totally shocked and blindsided by the cost of all this. Cleaning $450. Extractions are charged according to how long it will take to remove them (not by the tooth), but was given a ballpark of $900-1,500, on top of the cleaning charge. This is crazy-expensive in my opinion, but don't see any other reasonable choice that I have. (Not taking her to a foreign country for a 2nd opinion.) I would imagine that these rates are the norm for this area, and it's obvious that this is resorption, so I will go ahead and let this Vet do the work and just hope for the best.

I'm more concerned with alleviating the pain she is probably experiencing with this condition, and getting this resolved ASAP. But I have to say, this is a very weird condition that I've never encountered before...

Last edited by BijouBaby; 01-23-2023 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-25-2023, 09:01 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
The cost of dentals has gone up a LOT in the past few years. We had one in June 2022 and the total cost was around $850 (excluded cost of blood work done the week before). Two extractions.

I suggest you review things clearly before and after the procedure (ask for an itemized receipt before paying). I questioned a couple of the charges.

I know a woman who has a cat with this same issue. He needed most of his teeth removed before age 2. Thankfully, he's been stable for a number of years and is going just fine. I don't understand why this happens with some cats, but it seems to happen for unknown reasons.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Has anyone dealt with tooth resorption with their cats? I just found out today that one of mine has this condition (thought to be an auto immune condition, which is not preventable) and she’s scheduled to have dental surgery for it in 10 days. I have never heard of this condition until today, but the vet said that nearly half of all cats over three years old have at least one tooth affected by this condition. in fact, her cat has it too. Dogs can get this too.

I’m just a wondering if anyone has had this condition with their cats, and if so, what kind of treatment did you get and how did it go?

Yes. My cat lost all her teeth to FORL by the age of 10. She was getting a dental every year starting in 2015, with multiple extractions. She had the last 3 teeth pulled 2 years ago. All she has now are the tiny ones in front.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yes. My cat lost all her teeth to FORL by the age of 10. She was getting a dental every year starting in 2015, with multiple extractions. She had the last 3 teeth pulled 2 years ago. All she has now are the tiny ones in front.
I'm wondering, does she have any trouble eating with so few teeth left? The vet assured me that cats have no trouble eating even with no teeth. This is hard for me to imagine..

I just dropped my girl off at the Vet clinic for this surgery. I am standing by waiting for a call from the Vet with her assessment of how many teeth she recommends extracting today. Of course, I am pretty nervous waiting for that call. But, we will proceed with her recommendation, whatever it may be.

I am still wondering how I lived all my life with many cats, and never had an experience with this condition, though I'm now aware that it is fairly common in cats. The Vet reiterated that the suspected cause is an auto-immune condition. Some cats have this disorder, and some don't. Simple as that. Luck of the draw, I imagine.

I'm saying a little prayer that all goes smoothly this morning.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:05 PM

36 posts, read 29,034 times
I hope all goes well for your kitty. One of mine had all of his teeth extracted in October because of resorptive lesions. He is much happier now and back to eating his dry food.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler10 View Post
I hope all goes well for your kitty. One of mine had all of his teeth extracted in October because of resorptive lesions. He is much happier now and back to eating his dry food.
That is so good to hear (about resuming dry food), and glad he is back to normal. The vet told me this too, but I just couldn't imagine how they can eat dry food with little or no teeth. Thankfully, I recently switched them to Stella & Chewy dry food, which are much smaller morsels than the previous dry (RAWZ). Also switched over to S&C canned food, which she really gobbles down.

I just heard from the Vet. The cleaning and extractions went very well and I can pick her up in a couple of hours. They only needed to extract the badly-affected upper canines, and all other teeth are healthy and clean now. She will be on a wet food diet for the next 8 days, and I'll have meds to administer 2x/day during that time (that will be interesting). I'm relieved it was only the 2 teeth for now. But I know it could affect others in the coming years, so we'll have to monitor the situation with annual exams going forward.

I'm glad to know that after she is fully healed, we can resume her regular diet of wet in the A.M, and and dry to graze on throughout the day.

Thanks for your reassuring reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats