Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 11:34 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times

Advertisements

We've been feeding this sweet guy since Nov when it was 12 degrees. He came right to the front door and kept coming. I gave him a small box with styrofoam cut to fit the bottom and some old ragged kitchen towels on top, never thinking he would actually use it. But he did. The DH got him in the carrier by feeding him there for a few days and on D-Day, he closed the door and took off. He screamed all the way there and we went to pick him up 9 hours later and he cried and growled all the way home and lost a claw trying to get out of the carrier.

We were told to keep watch on him overnight and chose the back porch because by leaving the door open we had gotten him to venture in a few times. We set up a box and litter, water, and the box he slept in. No dice - he wanted out. Until I brought food. They had told me to wait on food due to possible nausea, but I thought if he throws up, I'll clean it, the poor thing had nothing all day. I gave him a small portion and he inhaled it, rubbed a thank you on my leg, and settled down.

When I next checked, he was in a chair, dozing, and when DH checked, he was flat out sound asleep. We decided to play it by ear, feeding and interacting and agreed we would let him back out when he let us know he wanted to go. The thing is, it's been almost 24 hours and he's very relaxed where he is. He eats, grooms, and even used the litter box! It was clean, with a little fresh litter, no one else's scent. I do keep a box there and he's smelled it on his forays indoors, so I think he had the idea. But again, did I expect a little cat in off the street to use a litter box and play with a toy mouse? Not really.

He originally came with a stray that is known to the neighborhood. I was a little perplexed why two unfixed males would be traveling together. I've been further perplexed by how easy it's been to form a bond with him and now how settled he's been indoors. This doesn't seem like other people's experiences with ferals or strays. Is he just special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 02:21 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,013,145 times
Yes he's special. They all are lol.
He's got you right where he wants you.
Since last summer I've fixed 7 strays/drop offs.
Six are still here. There's now 2 tiger toms hanging around.
I'm such a pushover. Thank you for taking care of him.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:08 PM

But are they inside using the litter box?
Thank you for caring. I only have 3 so far.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:47 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Nice. Congratulations on your New Little Love. Love him love him love him. He's already loving you back.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,013,145 times
As far as inside, all the cats are in before dark. One's that are polite get to run the house, some that have a little cattitude are in kennels and some are locked on closed in porch. All use the litter boxes. Boy do they use them lol. Most of the cats that pop up around here are throwaways. They know what it's like to use boxes and know how it feels to be loved.
I've had my share of feral's and for the most part have tamed most of them to the point of being able to tolerate me.
At least they know where the food and shelter is.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:23 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I don’t ever have any strays around the house, but I would enjoy caring for them if we did.

Our dentist’s office takes care of several stray cats and it’s fun to watch them as we get our teeth cleaned. The office is next to a wooded area. The office staff puts out food and takes them to be spayed or neutered. They also feed birds in the same area. The cats don’t harm the birds.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:15 AM

Gentlearts, that is my dream for this town. Peaceful cat colonies, fixed and cared for. Getting my guy done and indoors is a big step toward that. I also have never dealt with strays and ferals until I moved here and find it amazing to be able to make a relationship with them and understand them. Thatdurncat13, you are amazing to be able to herd all those cats that way and I know we'll meet in heaven where all the cats will be loved.

Meanwhile, here on earth, Mr. Outdoors In has used every litter box at least once, announcing his presence, to the displeasure of my two ladies. But he won me over, and the DH, too, so I have no doubt - and really, I watch him around them and know he knows he's a charmer - that he'll eventually win them over, too.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:19 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
He obviously had been cared for/around humans at some point in his life. True ferals would not act like that.

I did TNR on a feral and was supposed to keep him overnight after his neuter. I thought it would be nicer for him if I let him use our (enclosed) porch overnight so I opened the carrier. He went nuts, trying to climb the blinds, jumping around, trying to find a way out. I eventually opened the door and let him go. I felt a bit bad but he was clearly in distress even in a porch.

Congrats on your new kitty!

Old 04-17-2023, 01:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
I got my last kitty like this and he was an outstanding pet. I never thought he'd want to stay in but he was like yo you have food and soft sleeping places hell yes I am staying. Never a moment of trouble and always used his box and stuff.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Our city government got a grant for the TNR program a few years ago. Set traps in neighborhoods with feral cats running around, got them fixed and released them. I forgot the number of cats taken care of but it was quite a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats