Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 07:43 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

I have a wonderful old cat, maybe about 18 years old or older. I saved her life many years ago by bringing her home from work. She was totally feral at that time and very afraid of people.

She's very affectionate with me, follows me around the house, wants me to pick her up, lays on top of me and so on. She's almost like having a little dog and I spoiled her and have no regrets.
She's never lost her intense fear of people other than myself. If she hears the doorbell ring, she'll run and hide like her life depends on it. If anyone comes into the house, it's the same thing. She'll never come out while there is another person here.

I have to go out of town for 2 days and one night. I'm making this as short as possible because of her. I'm torn whether or not to hire someone to give her wet food a couple of times a day while I'm gone. They would come in, clean her bowl and put new wet food in it, then leave. I know this will cause her a good amount of stress a couple of times each day. Normally, I give her fresh canned food 3 times a day and she eats whatever she feels like when she feels like. This has worked well as she's very healthy for her age.

I also leave some dry food out for her, for no other reason than sometimes she enjoys nibbling on it. I'm now debating whether I should just leave the dry food for her, or hire someone to come and give her wet food which would stress her out but she really loves the wet food.
Is there a right or wrong answer? I'm leaning towards leaving just dry food. I'm going to be leaving early on a Saturday morning and coming back late the following day. I'm afraid she'll be stressed out enough wondering why I'm not coming home as I usually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 11:04 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
If you think you not being there will upset her, then I'd lean toward keeping the rest of her routine as normal as possible. Maybe 3 times a day having a stranger in - though in and out quickly, minimum upset - would be a lot, but once or twice? It's only 2 days and cats are resilient, but at her age I'd want to keep her diet as close to normal as I could, especially with other stresses. Just my two cents.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 6,926 times
Why not compromise and have someone come over once a day to give her wet food? If she gets hungry, she'll still eat the dry food and it won't entirely through her out of her routine, while not disturbing her multiple times a day.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:07 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
She will hide while they are there, so let them come & give her the wet food she loves. And clean the litter box too. Maybe once a day would be enough. Even though she dislikes visitors ( mine do too) I think she would be happier getting her normal food & a clean litter box.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:25 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My son's cat is like that. She comes out of hiding about ten minutes after the person has left and seems fine. I'd have someone in twice a day for wet food, fresh water, and litter box.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:36 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll hire someone to come in twice a day, give her fresh food, clean her box and so on. I'll instruct them to ring the doorbell before entering. That will give her time to hide before they open the door, otherwise she'll be at the door thinking it's me and panic when she sees a stranger.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:00 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Your cat is more brave than ours. She hides when anyone approaches the door.

I think that providing wet food is important because you'll be gone. No wet food would be another thing missing.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:32 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
If you still have time before your trip, maybe you could introduce the person to your cat before you leave?

Old 04-17-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
If you still have time before your trip, maybe you could introduce the person to your cat before you leave?
Normally that would be a good idea with a standard cat. I guarantee you she would hiss and scratch to get away if that person comes within 7 ft of her. She sees every human except me as a serial cat killer

Old 04-17-2023, 08:57 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I dunno, my stray that was dumped in my yard at 5 weeks, 2 lbs, took weeks to even come out when my Dad came over. Now they are friends. My daughter and granddaughter came March 30th, Delta hid the whole time, she came out at dark for a few minutes. They could find her under the comforter or in the closet and was able to try to bond. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, for a whole week. When they left it took 2 hours for her to come out and be normal with me. That's what happens when you live alone and the cats have no socialization. The other 2, 6 and 12 year olds caught on quickly and were pretty comfortable with the girls.

I think once or twice a week, come in and feed, change water and clean cat box, she may never see the cat, but you know she'll be well taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats