Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 09:36 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I dunno, my stray that was dumped in my yard at 5 weeks, 2 lbs, took weeks to even come out when my Dad came over. Now they are friends. My daughter and granddaughter came March 30th, Delta hid the whole time, she came out at dark for a few minutes. They could find her under the comforter or in the closet and was able to try to bond. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, for a whole week. When they left it took 2 hours for her to come out and be normal with me. That's what happens when you live alone and the cats have no socialization. The other 2, 6 and 12 year olds caught on quickly and were pretty comfortable with the girls.

I think once or twice a week, come in and feed, change water and clean cat box, she may never see the cat, but you know she'll be well taken care of.
Yes, it took years for me to slowly make friends with her at work gaining her trust very gradually. I brought her food which helped a lot. Then one day she started rubbing up against me but I still couldn't touch her. Then she let me touch her. Then months went by before she would allow me to pick her up. When I brought her home, she hid for a week. Same thing, she would only come out at night to eat and use the litter box. I never forced her to come out or looked for her knowing I would lose her trust if I did.

I let her do things at her own pace and time. Now, I couldn't have a better cat except she's still afraid of people she doesn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 06:08 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
what a special relationship you two have.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:47 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
what a special relationship you two have.
I like to think of her as special because of her history of going from totally feral and wild to living as a regular house cat

This is a recent picture of her lounging with me.

I've shown this pic before, but this is her about 7 years ago a couple of months after I brought her home.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:54 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
She is beautiful. We also took in a feral cat litter, & the head of the group ( a male) will often sit on my lap & follow me around, he is so cute, but if we have a visitor, they disappear. I think some ferals know what they have escaped & show gratitude for it. We had a cat, many years ago, that came from the back yard, she was feral too, but she developed such a strong bond with hubby, I called her "the other woman"

Old 04-20-2023, 09:48 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you think you not being there will upset her, then I'd lean toward keeping the rest of her routine as normal as possible. Maybe 3 times a day having a stranger in - though in and out quickly, minimum upset - would be a lot, but once or twice? It's only 2 days and cats are resilient, but at her age I'd want to keep her diet as close to normal as I could, especially with other stresses. Just my two cents.
Yeah. Maximum support with minimal intrusion. I'd set up a cam or two just to make sure everything is going hunky dory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowmeow View Post
Why not compromise and have someone come over once a day to give her wet food? If she gets hungry, she'll still eat the dry food and it won't entirely through her out of her routine, while not disturbing her multiple times a day.
Wet food is much better for kitty than dry. Since kitty hides when visitors come over, this won't be so out of the ordinary. She has to eat, she has to have her boxes cleaned, it's what we owe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son's cat is like that. She comes out of hiding about ten minutes after the person has left and seems fine. I'd have someone in twice a day for wet food, fresh water, and litter box.
It's unanimous! We love our kitties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats