Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2023, 09:38 AM

174 posts, read 132,993 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods has their own line of pet food "Whole Paws." A 5.5oz can of cat food is about $1.
I've been giving this to my cats for over a year while transitioning them out of dry food. They really like it. One was recently diagnosed with CKD (13yo female) and that's pushed me to eliminate dry food completely. Vet recommended Hill's K/D prescription and I've been mixing it with the Whole Paws. I'm not convinced the Hill's is really any good, although it has less protein (and phosphorus) and supposedly easier on the kidneys. Still, I'm not convinced it's going to be healthy for my cat (with more carbs I could be adding another ailment--diabetes). Not to mention it's $3 a can. (But honestly, I would pay $3/can for a truly high quality, healthy cat food.)

At this point I don't feel comfortable using the Hill's exclusively. I'm unable to make drastic changes--like making my own cat food. I may continue to offer both--Hill's and Whole Paws canned (no dry whatsoever). Incidentally, I've noticed a huge reduction in water consumption from my cats since feeding them canned.

Whole Paws chicken Loaf (grain free) first few ingredients: Chicken, Chicken liver, Chicken broth, carrots, peas, natural flavor...

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 05:22 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I couldn't find a page listing the total ingredients, or the guaranteed analysis, and it bothers me that it doesn't appear to say "complete and balanced". I wouldn't feed it exclusively, unless you can find more detailed information. In other words, the lack of transparency is concerning.

But that it's wet and has named meat ingredients is a good start. Certainly better than that Hills junk. But feed in rotation with other brands.

If she her blood work shows elevated phosphorus there are phos binders that can be used. No need to limit the meat protein, which is essential to a cat, strict obligate carnivore.

Congratulations on getting your cats off kibble and onto an all wet diet. You'll never regret it!

Old 05-01-2023, 05:55 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I couldn't find a page listing the total ingredients, or the guaranteed analysis, and it bothers me that it doesn't appear to say "complete and balanced". I wouldn't feed it exclusively, unless you can find more detailed information. In other words, the lack of transparency is concerning.

But that it's wet and has named meat ingredients is a good start. Certainly better than that Hills junk. But feed in rotation with other brands.

If she her blood work shows elevated phosphorus there are phos binders that can be used. No need to limit the meat protein, which is essential to a cat, strict obligate carnivore.

Congratulations on getting your cats off kibble and onto an all wet diet. You'll never regret it!
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pro...-oz-b07nrcgy4s

Old 05-01-2023, 10:05 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Do you mean "good" as in kitty likes it, good as in good ingredients, or good as in good on crackers?

Whole Paws by Whole Foods Market

Ingredients: Tuna, Fish Broth, Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Dried Egg White, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Sunflower Oil, Cranberries, Ground Flaxseed, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Inulin, Dl-methionine.

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Peas, Natural Flavor, Salt, Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Carrageenan, Dl-methionine.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pro...e-foods-market

Old 05-02-2023, 03:03 PM

493 posts, read 325,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
Whole Foods has their own line of pet food "Whole Paws." A 5.5oz can of cat food is about $1.
I've been giving this to my cats for over a year while transitioning them out of dry food. They really like it. One was recently diagnosed with CKD (13yo female) and that's pushed me to eliminate dry food completely. Vet recommended Hill's K/D prescription and I've been mixing it with the Whole Paws. I'm not convinced the Hill's is really any good, although it has less protein (and phosphorus) and supposedly easier on the kidneys. Still, I'm not convinced it's going to be healthy for my cat (with more carbs I could be adding another ailment--diabetes). Not to mention it's $3 a can. (But honestly, I would pay $3/can for a truly high quality, healthy cat food.)

At this point I don't feel comfortable using the Hill's exclusively. I'm unable to make drastic changes--like making my own cat food. I may continue to offer both--Hill's and Whole Paws canned (no dry whatsoever). Incidentally, I've noticed a huge reduction in water consumption from my cats since feeding them canned.

Whole Paws chicken Loaf (grain free) first few ingredients: Chicken, Chicken liver, Chicken broth, carrots, peas, natural flavor...

Your thoughts?
The best wet cat food I have found is by Orijen. Look at the ingredient list and see how the first 8 or so ingredients are animal proteins. Here is an example:

raw chicken, chicken liver, whole mackerel, chicken bone broth, fish bone broth, chicken heart, whole sardine and egg.

It's also good to use the entire prey animal, as that contains more nutrients. Cats need to eat the organs and bones for complete nutrition. And they need taurine.

Most other brands only use two or three animal proteins, like the one you listed above.

The cans of Orijen are $2.42 each, but if you buy 3, you get the 4th free. Out here in the Bay Area, there is a discount chain called Pet Club where I think they charge $2.19 a can and they sometimes have 20% or 40% off sales.

Acana is another good brand if you can't afford Orijen. But, they don't use as many animal proteins. Still better than the Whole Foods brand.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:16 PM

The problem with Orijen is they put fish in everything. When I fed canned I fed only single protein formulas.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:48 PM

493 posts, read 325,623 times
Just about every kind of wet food I've checked uses a combination of poultry/fish/beef. Do you know of any that still use a single protein source?

Old 05-02-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Just about every kind of wet food I've checked uses a combination of poultry/fish/beef. Do you know of any that still use a single protein source?

I feed raw now so I don't keep up with mainstream, but I do like to keep some canned around for emergencies. I use Castor and Pollux Organix chicken pate. The only thing really wrong with it is the peas, but it doesn't have a lot of other stuff on my never list, and it is non-GMO Project Verified which I require. (not all their formulas have the Butterfly, but the chicken pate does) They have a number of single protein formulas, and there isn't any fish sneaked in.

Castor and Pollux used to be a small company specialty brand, but same old story, Purina bought it out a number of years ago. So far, there doesn't appear to be any drastic change in the formula, but I am watching carefully for it to happen. It always does eventually, after a buy out.

The only thing to do really is to read labels. On the can or on the pet food's website. Don't rely on on line stores, their information isn't always up to date. And even on foods you've already checked, periodically look at them again for changes.

As for that Whole Paws, they do blend some proteins I noticed, like the turkey also has chicken in it, even though it's not called turkey and chicken. My only real objection to the ingredients is the carrageenan. I wouldn't feed a food with carrageenan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats