Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:50 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times

Advertisements

I'm moving this summer and jumpy as a....well...a cat...about moving with the cat. What do I do with her while we are loading the van? Will she tolerate a 3 hour car ride? What do I do with her while we are unloading the van? How have people managed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Do you have a travel crate? Put her in that while you’re packing the van. 3 hour ride, she should be fine.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm moving this summer and jumpy as a....well...a cat...about moving with the cat. What do I do with her while we are loading the van? Will she tolerate a 3 hour car ride? What do I do with her while we are unloading the van? How have people managed this?
She'll be fine with a three-hour car ride as long as she's properly contained in a carrier.

While you're unloading, put her in a room with the door closed with her litterbox, food and water, and bedding. Keep the door closed.

Cats tend to hide after being moved to a new environment (there's lots of info out there about why they do this — it's normal and not something to freak out over), and it can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
What they ^^^^ said

I moved my cat clear across the U.S. twice in the Rottweiler’s big crate, in the bed of my capped pickup. I threw blankets over the crate to keep her calm. I was also moving three dogs and pulling a horse trailer with three horses.

I tied her litter box to the back of the crate, tied her food bowl & a sort of tall water container to the front of the crate, and gave her fresh water every night. She was fine.

When we reached our destination both ways, I did what @Metlakatla said, I shut her in a bedroom with all of her needs. I had her from a kitten and she made it to 14 as a seasoned traveler

Old 05-29-2023, 05:20 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Do you have a travel crate? Put her in that while you’re packing the van. 3 hour ride, she should be fine.
I have a small carrier...but I can't imagine putting her in it for the time it will take to load, drive and unload. That will be a very long day indeed....

Old 05-29-2023, 05:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
She will probably know something's up and be jumpy, so be very, very, very careful with her. Carriers, yes. Cats often hate them (mine do!) but they will keep the kitties safe.

In another C-D thread, a poster did NOT put her cat in a carrier and the cat got jumpy and scared and ran off, and then the human just left her and went back to her home state. It wasn't even my kitty but I am still not over that (and just could not understand how the human could do it, but that's another story).

Just keep her very, very, very safe, even if she is howling. She will forgive you once she is safe and sound and feeling at home in the new place.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:28 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
My cat spent the entire packing portion in the crate screaming her head off. Once in the car, she settled in the footwell and enjoyed the ride, meowing each time a loud truck went past. Cats are not good movers, so just assume there'll be some drama.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:00 AM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Kitty must be contained at all times. You don't want her jumping out of the car when you stopped to get gas. Try to think long term, not your short term needs. Kitty must have basic needs met (litter, water and food).

I have not moved with a cat since 1987. I won't even move due to my senior cats. They really hate moving and they love this place. So, I would question your decision to move in the first place.

Meow.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:30 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Loading the van: put kitty in a crate and shut her in a room until you're ready to leave. The last thing you need is for kitty to get scared and run off while you're loading

Drive to new home.

Arrive at new home. Take kitty inside, put her in a room with food, water, litterbox. Open the crate and let her come out when she's ready. Keep door to that room closed while you're unloading.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have a small carrier...but I can't imagine putting her in it for the time it will take to load, drive and unload. That will be a very long day indeed....
Yes, but better to keep her safe, than to be sorry if she runs off & you can't find her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats