Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a cat that licks his fur constantly, to the point where his bottom half is bald? Grayson showed up at my back door a year ago this month and he looked like that and was very skinny. After I took him in, he appeared to get better. He had been to the vet and at that time we assumed he had been shaved for his neuter by someone, but he wasn't microchipped, and nobody responded to my lost and found posts on Next Door and FB. The vet didn't think he had mites or a skin condition, just that it was probably either stress or that he had been shaved.

We thought maybe he had anxiety because he got somewhat better after having a stable home and now he's back to licking himself bald. He is an inside/outside cat, mostly inside and he hates canned cat food. If he sees me coming at him with the dish that has canned food he runs away.

Any other cat parents have these issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 12:41 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
No food issues over here, but I did see a Jackson Galaxy with a cat licking itself bald. Either something is causing him itching, like an allergy, or he's OCD. Some treatment in either case would probably help him.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:29 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
This is called "mowing." Funny word for it.

Here's an article to help:

https://cats.com/how-to-stop-cat-fur-mowing

I had one cat which did this. They were littermates and when his sister stopped being friendly with him he started to lick his fur off in distress. After they got their problems sorted out by becoming an upstairs cat and a downstairs cat he stopped doing it.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:54 AM

My cat Binx and him now appear to have reached an agreement where they now tolerate each other but are not friendly yet. Grayson appears happy and is affectionate so I guess my next step is to take him back to the vet. The first one I took him to doesn't seem all that knowledgeable.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:28 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Our calico has done this, off and on, for most of her life. For about a year, we tried medicating her with Prozac. Pros: it stopped the overgrooming. Cons: She turned into a zombie and lost weight (a common side effect of the drug). So we opted to stop the drug.

We've tried Rescue Remedy (worked ok for her) but we've had better results using CBD oil. We don't use it daily, but you certainly can. We know what her triggers are (vet trips, fireworks during the holidays, etc.) and will give her doses during that time.

It's also possible that Grayson may need time to settle into his new home. When we adopted our Lucy (she was left outside by a former neighbor), she initially licked her bum/back end area raw for a few weeks. But, as she settled in that stopped and she's never done it again.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:11 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
I can't imagine drugging a pet because it has a nervous habit. How about just let him or her be?

Old 06-20-2023, 04:10 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
I had Buttons from 1990 until 2004. She was a rescue and lived indoors with me. She licked her tummy so it was smooth and hairless. Tried diazepam which didn't help. In the end, since the skin looked good, I left it like that. She seemed fine and happy (and spoiled) for all those years. There is no telling what kind of trauma these cats have been through so I just chalked it up to nerves.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:20 AM

I give him some catnip when he starts serious licking but it only distracts him for a little while. Grayson has a vet appointment this morning at 10:15. It may just be a nervous thing, but he started a hot spot on his back yesterday. I also want to make sure he doesn't have mites or some sort of parasite.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:31 AM

Well, we're back and the doc thinks it is allergies. He has no mites or fleas. He gave Grayson a cortisone shot. Now, I'm wondering what he could be allergic to. My first thought is his food. He eats Iam's Proactive for Urinary Tract health. Chicken is the first ingredient. I remember someone telling me that chicken is the number one allergen in dogs and I'm wondering if cats have the same issue.

Catsmom you can probably offer some advice here. Grayson also won't eat wet food, not even people tuna or chicken. He runs away when he sees me coming with the plate of canned food. I tried all the things you suggested years ago with one of my other cats to no avail. He will take a couple of licks and that is it.

I'm going to research the best dry food for cat allergies and continue to see if I can find some wet food he likes. I think I've tried just about everything out there.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:43 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
chiluvr1228- Last year my daughter's cat licked until he had hotspots, the vet said it was probably allergies. Took forever to get them healed and we went through this more than once. We tried some microcynAH spray, which may have helped relieve itching.
I think what may have had the most effect was adding fatty fish to his diet. It's not an every day thing but once a week or so I pull a bit of cooked salmon or salmon skin from the freezer and give it to him. He hasn't had a severe episode of scratching himself raw in nearly a year now. If you think you could get your kitty to eat fresh fish it might be worth talking to your vet about. (I buy the salmon for me from the meat dept and freeze a portion for kitty)

"Likewise, essential fatty acids (fish oils) are similarly ineffective during sudden episodes because they require several weeks to take effect. Cats predisposed to atopic dermatitis should be tried on fatty acid supplements to see if they help lessen future flare-ups and clinical signs." https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...ergies-in-cats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats