Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 12:28 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well, cats don't need carbs at all, but I admit that is unrealistic when feeding commercially processed products.

Try to keep it under 10% DMB. I posted a link to a chart you can use.
I used the chart for some Rachael Ray wet and it came up 16%. I'll try the fancy feast pate classic.

Thanks for the help. I saved the chart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 04:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I used the chart for some Rachael Ray wet and it came up 16%. I'll try the fancy feast pate classic.

Thanks for the help. I saved the chart.

I'm not familiar with the Rachel Ray product, but fed in a rotation with other, lower carb, wet foods, it wouldn't be horrible. Most cats appreciate variety.

Variety helps prevent boredom and reduces the chance of allergies or intolerances arising from having it too often, prevents that "he'll only eat this one thing" syndrome, which can be catastrophic if the "one thing" gets recalled, discontinued, or they simply change the formula of it. And speaking of recalls, if a product is recalled, the risk of the cat being affected is reduced, if it is only one in a rotation of foods that is fed.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:54 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:

I'm aware they have to lose slowly. Will a postal scale weigh over 20 lbs?
Yes. Mine weighs up to 75 pounds. They are less expensive than a baby scale, which is why I bought a postal scale instead. Get a cat-sized box, put it on the scale, tare it out, then put cat in the box. Most of the time I could get te weight before the cat figured out what was going on.

Here's a sample scale from Amazon. Weighs up to 65 pounds. Wow, prices have really come down. I paid around $45 for mine years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Old 07-19-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Yes. Mine weighs up to 75 pounds. They are less expensive than a baby scale, which is why I bought a postal scale instead. Get a cat-sized box, put it on the scale, tare it out, then put cat in the box. Most of the time I could get te weight before the cat figured out what was going on.

Here's a sample scale from Amazon. Weighs up to 65 pounds. Wow, prices have really come down. I paid around $45 for mine years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

On the other hand, having to use a box and all, that's a lot of hassle, especially if the cat doesn't want to be weighed.

The baby scale is so easy. I lift my cats onto it, because they are used to it, and can make note of the weight in the split second before they jump off again, but I advised a friend to train her cat to get on it by luring with a treat, because she does give her cat treats like that. (I don't).

If using the lure method, train the cat to get on the scale by putting the treat on the scale. Set the scale somewhere the cat can't just reach and grab the treat off, or use something the cat has to lick off the surface. .After doing this a few times to ensure it goes smoothly, only use the 'trick' at weighing time.

Turn on the scale to tare, put the treat on, when the cat gets on to eat the treat, make note of the weight.

Or pick up the cat, say "weighing time!" and put the cat on the scale. If the cat needs a treat after, to acclimate to the process, use it. I never bothered treating for weighing, though I do use a special "after-incentive" for nail trims and ear drops.

This is the scale I have, though there are less expensive ones available, you can browse a bit, read some reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Readings-Feed...s%2C133&sr=8-5

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-19-2023 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 07:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
I've inherited 2 overweight cats that I just love, BUT I'm at a loss as to wht to do for them to lose weight.

They are full grown males, neutered, around middle age 4-7 years range.

I feed then 1/2 of a small can of Fancy Feast each 2x a day, and supplement weight management dry food in two very small bowls.

If they could, they'd eat treats all day, but I limit them to perhaps just a few treats 2x a day.

They have plenty of water and toys to play with.

Is there a good plan or food that will encourage weight loss. I'm concerned that they'll have problems (none yet) because of the weight.

Thanks for any insight or information that can be shared.
Catinfo.org

Best site on the web for feline diet info. There is a whole section on weight reduction.

Step 1 - Get rid of the kibble. It is in no way species-appropriate, and actually contributes to obesity in felines..

Old 07-20-2023, 07:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
How low is "low carb"?
As close to zero as possible. An optimal diet is high protein, moderate fats, and as close to zero as possible on the carbs.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:45 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Catinfo.org

Best site on the web for feline diet info. There is a whole section on weight reduction.

Step 1 - Get rid of the kibble. It is in no way species-appropriate, and actually contributes to obesity in felines..
I agree that's a great website! And I second getting rid of the kibble. We had a cat who gained 6 pounds on prescription "diet" kibble. With the help of a friend, I switched him to canned food and we slowly lost the weight over a period of a year. It wasn't easy--he was a dry food addict--but it was worth it.

A tip: you can add a little water to the canned food to make it seem like more. That worked great for us.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:08 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
Instead of adding water to the food to make it feel like more, I'd suggest adding bone broth. It supplies nutrients for them, as cats in the wild eat their prey whole, including the bones and organs.

Compare the crappy ingredients from that Iams brand:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Turkey, Powdered Cellulose, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Caramel Color, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bisulfate, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Taurine, Minerals [Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (Preservatives), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Really? If you let a cat loose on a farm, is it going to go for the corn first? You gotta be kidding! It's almost like junk food for cats.

Only the first ingredient is real meat and the rest is cheap filler. You want animal proteins as your first several ingredients.

Compare that to the much superior meat ingredients from a premium brand like Orijen:

Chicken, chicken liver, whole mackerel, chicken bone broth, fish bone broth, chicken heart, whole sardine, egg, taurine, salt, vitamins, etc..

They don't just include a lot of animal proteins, but they also include the whole prey and organs for complete nutrition.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Instead of adding water to the food to make it feel like more, I'd suggest adding bone broth. It supplies nutrients for them, as cats in the wild eat their prey whole, including the bones and organs.

Compare the crappy ingredients from that Iams brand:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Turkey, Powdered Cellulose, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Caramel Color, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bisulfate, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Taurine, Minerals [Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (Preservatives), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Really? If you let a cat loose on a farm, is it going to go for the corn first? You gotta be kidding! It's almost like junk food for cats.

Only the first ingredient is real meat and the rest is cheap filler. You want animal proteins as your first several ingredients.

Compare that to the much superior meat ingredients from a premium brand like Orijen:

Chicken, chicken liver, whole mackerel, chicken bone broth, fish bone broth, chicken heart, whole sardine, egg, taurine, salt, vitamins, etc..

They don't just include a lot of animal proteins, but they also include the whole prey and organs for complete nutrition.

No. Orijen is still kibble. It's still dry, species inappropriate, it's still processed by extremely high heat and extrusion, so the nutrition has to be added back in, and they use way too much fish besides.

It's just higher priced and they advertise themselves as the best, so people believe it. Some of their advertising really pushes the boundaries of the law, actually. It's still kibble. It's still dehydrating and difficult for a cat to digest.

Adding a little bone broth to some of the canned meals isn't a bad idea, as long as it's done in moderation, and a plain broth is used. Homemade is best, but if buying, nothing in it but a single protein broth. No salt or spices or other flavorings or ingredients.

And it does have to be used with caution. Bone broth is high in minerals, so use caution in older cats whose kidneys might be at risk, and can lead to constipation in some cats. It's very healing to the gut though. My late cat who had IBD (her digestive system was permanently damaged by a Hills "prescription" kibble for the first 6 years of her life) benefited greatly from the bone broth I made for her. I portioned it into ice cube trays, then bagged it up once frozen, so it was very easy to add to a meal (she was raw fed). By the time she was 16 though I had to cut back on the bone broth quite a lot.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
I'm very highly suggest slowly switching to a grain free diet. It pays off in many ways: cats are satisfied with less food, less waste in the litter box, less smelly waste and I believe, a better behaved cat. The price point will be higher but will pay off in less vet visits and better health overall.
Fancy feast is loaded with chemicals ad carbs which are unnecessary and degrading to their health.
I love Merrick and Natural Balance packets that have veggies and gravy along with the protein source. He does get kibble: Whole Foods 365 Grain Free Salmon and Pea.

Last edited by earslikeacat; 07-24-2023 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats