Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 11:10 PM

8,891 posts, read 5,375,111 times

Advertisements

Two of my cats are getting older and I believe one should be getting some canned food daily. Trouble is, it seems like most conventional canned foods seem to give her diarrhea. Does anyone know of brands for a sensitive stomach? Also, they all seem to get smellier stools when they are given canned food, along with the diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 04:16 AM

840 posts, read 774,549 times
It is my understanding that terribly smelly poops are indicative of undigested protein.
I got my cats this supplement of both enzymes & probiotics, to go with one of the species specific cat food recipes sold by the same company - Young Again.

Immune & Digestive Support Supplement
*> READ: Description & Health Benefits sections
https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/pr...ort-supplement

They went from having horribly smelly, loose BMs . . . to having non-smelly, well-formed poops very quickly with the supplement added to their food! Plus their behavior towards each other improved, as well! (They're no longer hungry all the time.)

Although their food is kibble, it is species-specific & can be re-hydrated for them daily before feeding.
I often do that, then add the supplement & serve. They have a line of Adult/Senior cat food & other type recipes, if you want to check those out.

There are several very interersting articles on site, & this one seems most appropriate for you to read considering . . .

Poopology: Your Cat's Stool
https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/ar...our-cats-stool

(One of my cats has stomatitis, so I get the LID Zero (carbs) Mature cat food recipe to relieve that cat of it's symptoms . . . & all of them love it. Their products are only sold online, & I have it delivered to our nearby Walgreens, as FedEx has a deal with them where they will accept packages & hold them up to 5 days for the purchaser to retrieve them. This saves it getting either stolen or cooked -or- rained on when we can't be home when it arrives!)

Old 08-23-2023, 10:53 AM

501 posts, read 169,059 times
Fancy Feast Classic is an extremely healthy non-premium food that doesn't have all the rice, wheat and other fillers. We switched to it when our senior cat was diagnosed with diabetes. We now feed all our cats 97% Fancy Feed Classic and almost no dry food. As with many women's cosmetics and other products, super-premium cat foods often test no better and often worse than dumb old Fancy Feast Classic. Our cats poop is a delight to scoop - well, not exactly, but it looks pretty healthy.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:37 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,926,767 times
You might consider trying raw food, if they will eat it. You don't have to make your own, but you can if you want. There are lots of commercial formulas on the market these days.

This website has lots of good information (and recipes): https://catinfo.org

Old 08-24-2023, 09:46 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Agreed with Renee. If you can get your hands on it, raw commercially made food was super effective in helping my cat with IBD for a long while until the pet store that sold it near me closed up shop. We liked Stella and Chewy's raw rabbit morsels (frozen, not freeze dried).

For standard cat food, Farmina's digestion recipe was incredible. Sadly, it got really difficult to find over the last three years thanks to pandemic supply chain issues, even becoming impossible to buy online. It seems like the supply chain has evened out since then, though. It's pricy, but it is very high quality and helps with tummy troubles.

Also a thought - they could have diarrhea because they're switching food at all, not because of the food itself. Talk to your vets about that possibility.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,461,394 times
We fed our elderly cat Royal Canine's "Aging 12 + " canned food. There is both a loaf version and chunks with gravy. Has Omega 3's and some other good things. When they had a shortage, the Royal Canine rep told us to go for Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Chicken flavored canned. It worked well for her stomach and she like it. So we used both brands based on availablity.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:48 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Fancy Feast Classic is an extremely healthy non-premium food that doesn't have all the rice, wheat and other fillers. We switched to it when our senior cat was diagnosed with diabetes. We now feed all our cats 97% Fancy Feed Classic and almost no dry food. As with many women's cosmetics and other products, super-premium cat foods often test no better and often worse than dumb old Fancy Feast Classic. Our cats poop is a delight to scoop - well, not exactly, but it looks pretty healthy.

Good post, except really you ought to just chuck the kibble all together. It's just so bad for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
You might consider trying raw food, if they will eat it. You don't have to make your own, but you can if you want. There are lots of commercial formulas on the market these days.

This website has lots of good information (and recipes): https://catinfo.org

Another option to premade raw is using a premix, like EZcomplete, added to plain muscle meat. There is also Alnutrin, but you have to add the liver when using that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Agreed with Renee. If you can get your hands on it, raw commercially made food was super effective in helping my cat with IBD for a long while until the pet store that sold it near me closed up shop. We liked Stella and Chewy's raw rabbit morsels (frozen, not freeze dried).

For standard cat food, Farmina's digestion recipe was incredible. Sadly, it got really difficult to find over the last three years thanks to pandemic supply chain issues, even becoming impossible to buy online. It seems like the supply chain has evened out since then, though. It's pricy, but it is very high quality and helps with tummy troubles.

Also a thought - they could have diarrhea because they're switching food at all, not because of the food itself. Talk to your vets about that possibility.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:31 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
I recommend trying raw as well. However ... not all cats like it. A few years ago I visited my aunt who had several cats, and before I left I got her a present in the form of Answers raw cat food, which my own cat loved. But when I went down there again several months later, she told me her cats wouldn't touch it and she had to take it back to the pet store and exchange it for something else.

So, give it a try, but don't buy too much at first.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I recommend trying raw as well. However ... not all cats like it. A few years ago I visited my aunt who had several cats, and before I left I got her a present in the form of Answers raw cat food, which my own cat loved. But when I went down there again several months later, she told me her cats wouldn't touch it and she had to take it back to the pet store and exchange it for something else.

So, give it a try, but don't buy too much at first.

Or more likely, they don't recognize it as food. Changing a cat's diet takes a little work. It's the human who has to have the motivation to stick to it. Sometimes their lives depend on it. When I went raw, two of the cats took to it immediately. The cat who was the impetus behind me going raw balked. It took two months to transition her.

Once she was eating it, she never looked back, and it gave me 11 extra years with her. But at first she wouldn't go near it, or even eat her regular food if I put a side dish of raw next to her regular dish. Transitioning her was hard work. But worth it.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:13 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Or more likely, they don't recognize it as food. Changing a cat's diet takes a little work. It's the human who has to have the motivation to stick to it. Sometimes their lives depend on it. When I went raw, two of the cats took to it immediately. The cat who was the impetus behind me going raw balked. It took two months to transition her.

Once she was eating it, she never looked back, and it gave me 11 extra years with her. But at first she wouldn't go near it, or even eat her regular food if I put a side dish of raw next to her regular dish. Transitioning her was hard work. But worth it.
That could be, but since they were my aunt's cats and I was hundreds of miles away after I left, I had no control over it. I don't think she fully understood what I was trying to do with the food I got her and she probably didn't know that transitioning would have to be a process.

But the odd thing is, my 2nd (current) cat I had no problem getting her to eat it at all, even though she was obviously used to the junk food she was fed in the shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats