Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry this happenned to your cat. But last year I had two of my cats' teeth cleaned. One is 18 and the other is 12 with kidney problems. I chose a board cert. vet. dentist who uses Cevo (human grade anaesthesia). Both cats came out very well. I've also had other animals done, by regular vets. It's always worked out. Dentals are very important in animals. That's very sad that that happenned. Like everyone had said, it was either a mistake or he truly did have an adverse reaction. It shouldn't deter anyone from treating their animals' dental issues, providing the proper bloodwork is done beforehand and the vet is competent with a good reputation. Sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 64,473 times
Default We Hear This Story Often

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.
Blood tests only alert your Vet to obvious problems. It wont alert them to undiagnosed heart valve issues it wont tell if your pet will handle the many different ways anesthesia interacts with the body.
Anesthesia when used in Humans is used with extreme caution and respect to its unpredictability and many consequences.
With Dentals being the most preformed procedures in the vet clinics . Many vets now offer a preventative dentals these dentals are preformed without anesthesia.
Are all pets a candidate for this procedure- no- are most -yes-
If your pet requires a Dental Surgery to restore your pets oral health many vets now ask that you start a program much like ours. You bring your pet in for Routine Dentals. The plan is to see your pet's hygienist on a regular preventive care schedule.
HoundsToothDental.com

Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,526 times
I am so sorry your lost your family member. That is what our cats really are. When I had my cat's teeth cleaned the vet said she needed to pull some teeth because they were too worn down. Pulling the teeth, she broke his jaw. Wiring the jaw cost a couple a hundred bucks and then of course he had to wear a collar for weeks and then go back to see how it was setting and all. More money. Not sure it was all worth it. Especially from my kittiy's point of view.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I'm surprised that your vet did not take care of your kitty's jaw w/o cost since it was her fault that it was broken in the first place. Can you imagine how painful it must have been & no way to explain.....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

29 posts, read 101,238 times
"HUGS" "HUGS" Very sorry to hear about your kitty...that is horrible.

I am glad I checked out this thread.....I have been wrestling with the idea of getting my girls teeth cleaned because the vet said that it needed to be done. One I have is a bigger kitty and the other underweight. I was feeling guilty thinking I was neglecting something by not going through with it. I was more concerned about the little one going under and dying actually. We (Vet and I) have been working on getting this little girl healthy (FYI: adopted cat).

I think that I am going to opt out of this procedure. Their teeth don't seem to bother them and I think until there is a problem maybe I should wait. I don't think I know anyone that brings their cats in for cleaning and having grown up with kitties that never had teeth cleaned, they lived long lives with all their teeth. Again, I will think carefully on this topic but you addressed my biggest concern and it was nice to hear other experiences.

Last edited by spoiledkitties; 07-28-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: spelling, I cant activate the spell checker

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 101,238 times
Ok now a new question to ask about routine stuff......what does your vet or your experiences with vaccinating indoor cats yearly?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
During my cats last visit to the vet, they urged me to bring him in for a dental cleaning - saying his teeth will fall out and he won't be able to eat properly. So, I brought my 9 year old healthy cat in last Tuesday for a routine dental cleaning. 2 hours later, the vet called saying my cat was dead. I was/am devastated!!!

The vet claimed that my cat had an adverse reaction to anesthesia. He said he finished cleaning the teeth, then found one that needed to be removed, pulled it and started stitching it up and my cats tongue turned blue, heart rate dropped, then he died.

I asked the vet if it were in fact an adverse reaction, why didn't it happen during the whole teeth cleaning - adding, "ya think you left him under too long and gave him too much anesthesia when you worked on the tooth?" He said there's no way to know. I said, "then how do you know it was and adverse reaction", and basically lost it at that point and flipped out on the guy.

Needless to say, I will never bring another pet in for a teeth cleaning - I'll learn to do it myself... that is, if I ever get another one.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this - how common is it, and why aren't people being told of the dangers? I wasn't!
I'm sorry so for your loss! I lost a cat prematurely due to veterinary care (I;m convinced) as well. The sad fact is that orthodox veterinarians are best trained to treat ACUTE conditions they are terrible when it comes to knowing anything about prevention or diet or restoring health.

I HIGHLY recommend you start reading books about Natural Medicine for pets. A good basic one is Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr Pitcairn DVM. Another excellent one is The NEW Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier.

My two cats that I've had as an adult had great dispositions and never needed anesthesia. They'd let the vet open their mouth and scrape the tarter off with me there watching. You need to find a vet that really likes cats or that specializes in cats. Better yet try to find one that not only does that but also is trained in Natural Health Care. I found a holistic vet that I took my current cat to where I used to live. Now I just take him to a regular vet but they seem to like cats so i don't think I will have a problem when its time for him to get his teeth cleaned. Actually, he will let me open his mouth to look inside and perhaps I should get him used to it and try scraping the tarter with my fingernails that I've seen the vet do. I will NOT allow anesthesia.

Thanks to my not having this cat vaccinated regularly and not giving him dry food l(ike I was told to do for my other cat which ended up giving him FUS) and instead giving my cat mostly a home prepared natural raw meat diet that you can read about at www.felinefuture.com, he's now 12 or 13 but acts about 8.

My first cat was an apparent Maine Coon and I was devastated when he died suddenly at only 9 years of age also. The morning of the day he died he seemed fine but when i came nhom that afternoon, he wasn't right by the door waiting for me like he always was. I searched the house and found him stiff and cold. He probably developed cardiomyopathy from all the vaccinations. There were even articles in Cat Fancy magazine about it.

I was a wreck for a LONG TIME. Months after he died, out of the blue I'd start crying like a baby. I thought I could NEVER go through the pain of a loss like this again. I thought I was a jinx or something but a year later, a lady on a cat email list I was on told me about a stray cat that was possibly a Maine Coon that a lady was trying to find a home for because it didn't get along with her other cats. So she convinced me to drive four hours to meet her and for the two of us to go look at the cat with the hope being that I would take the cat.

It turned out he was a beautiful Norwegian Forest cat that I can't believe anyone would give up or not care about. He had had episodes of FUS while at the foster home where I met him. This time I decided I would take care of him naturally and bring him to the vet as little as possible. He was 2 or 3 when I brought him home. That was 10 years ago. Besides giving him a good diet I make sure he gets about 200mgs twice a day of Vit C in his food which melts the crystals that form in the urinary tracts of male cats and can block the urinary tract and kill the cat. This preventative measure has kept FUS attacks at bay. He had had one attack earlier on during a stressful time when a neighborhood tom cat was stalking him and would hang out outside the picture window and stress my cat out. I ended up having to cover the windows so my cat couldn't see this cat when he'd come by.

The stress this cat caused resulted in my cat getting a terrible FUS attack and it took cathetarization to undo the blockage, prednizone for the inflamation AND a whole regime of natural herbs in his food as well as keeping the windows covered, to get his urinary tract healed. Ever since then, the Vit C keeps his urinary tract open and at our new house he is no longer bothered by mean neighborhood cats. His immune system is nice and strong as I occasionally let him outside in the enclosed courtyard and the fleas in the garden ignore him.

(I trained both cats to do tricks and to understand various commands. Cats are so smart.They can be trained to be hearing for the deaf you know. My cats learned some of the tricks in minutes. You must get another cat. They are such wonderful companions!)

You'll also want to stay away from those horrid spot on flea treatments. During one stressful time in my life and my cat's life(when I was giving him canned food not home prepared) his immune system weakened enough for fleas to begin to be a problem. Since I didn't know how to apply the natural powder very well, and his coat is so long, I ended up resorting to using half of one dose of Advantage to finally get rid of the fleas and give my cat some relief --but I wish I hadn't as a week or so later, my cat had a seizure. Luckily I have a naturopathic doctor I use who recommended some herbal nerve drops that I mixed into his food to stop him from seizing. I also finally learned how to use the natural flea powder (with Neem and diatomaceous earth in it) which I needed to use to finally permanently get rid of the fleas. I also switched back to the home made diet and there hasn't been a problem in ages.

Between my naturopathic doctor who I consult by phone now that I'm 1000 miles away, a decent vet that likes cats, my knowledge of natural medicine and a good natural diet for my cat, I'm hoping this cat will live a long long time.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 64,473 times
We hear tragic stories like this to often.
One common problem: the vet clinics not having a very important piece of equipment.... blood pressure monitor.
With blood pressure monitors the moment that pressure starts to deviate the problem can be addressed and disaster averted.
Another common problem: Failure to monitor the patients oxygenation,ventilation & temp.
For more info visit houndstoothdental.com and go to Why Monitor During Anesthesia.
With proper monitoring most tragedies..........Not All...but most can be adverted.
My heart goes out to you. Kiss on the nose.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
What kind of cat was this?

We always did bloodwork BEFORE a dentistry, which is usually not done RIGHT before but at a separate appt from the dental procedure. SOME animals can have adverse effects to anesthesia just like humans can, BUT if your cat had been put under BEFORE and not had a problem then that likely wasn't the case.
I would say he may have kept the cat under too long or administered too much anesthesia.
I ask what kind of cat you have because brachicephalic animals such as Persians, bulldogs (pets with pushed in faces) are at a higher risk as you need to be VERY careful how much they recieve.

HTH

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I am so sorry for your loss! I am in agreement with the above poster who talked in great detail about the importance of natural, preventative care for animals. Cats in particular seem to be more apt to having adverse reactions to vaccinations and anesthesia...very scary stuff. I was always leary of anesthesia, but after reading this and other horror stories, I will not allow it except in very extreme circumstances. You tried to do a good and healthy thing for your cat, it's not your fault...I hope this doesn't discourage you from adopting another cat in need once some time has passed and you feel ready. I feel like it's an honor to all animals, especially the ones who have crossed over, to continue caring for their brothers and sisters even when we know there will inevitably come a day when we are forced to say goodbye. Sending healing energy your way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats