Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 AM

53 posts, read 322,806 times

Advertisements

My cats are some picky eaters. They would ONLY eat Fancy Feast. I tried the more/less expensive brands but they wouldn't touch those. They would also not eat all natural, healthy wet foods either. But Fancy Feasts, they ALWAYS love them. Have you noticed this in your cats? I begin to wonder whether FF adds bad stuff to get cats hooked on their product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM

126 posts, read 478,423 times
Our cats also love Fancy Feast, but not the grilled or specialty flavors. Our vet recommends FF and she even gave us a list of all the flavors and which ones have the most carbs so we know which ones to avoid. Overall, she says wet food is healthier than dry food.

My husband's cat growing up would also only eat FF. They must have a secret ingredient, but I bet they will never tell!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Many, many years ago I worked as a chemical technician for General Foods in NY. I was in the flavor and color section, which did basic and applied research for all GF's products.

Well, one day I was working with some mercaptans (stinky compounds) and totally by accident created a by-product that I figured was junk - it smelled horrible, like week-old armpits.

Wouldn't you know it - they incorporated it into some Cycle dog food and tested it at their kennels in NJ. Turns out the dogs have a natural reaction to the smell of human sweat - they salivate. Hence, they'll eat more food.

Don't know if this is still being done, but I was listed on the patent so I know they were at least semi-serious about it.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM

53 posts, read 322,806 times
Default Cat MSG??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Many, many years ago I worked as a chemical technician for General Foods in NY. I was in the flavor and color section, which did basic and applied research for all GF's products.

Well, one day I was working with some mercaptans (stinky compounds) and totally by accident created a by-product that I figured was junk - it smelled horrible, like week-old armpits.

Wouldn't you know it - they incorporated it into some Cycle dog food and tested it at their kennels in NJ. Turns out the dogs have a natural reaction to the smell of human sweat - they salivate. Hence, they'll eat more food.

Don't know if this is still being done, but I was listed on the patent so I know they were at least semi-serious about it.

Oh no....You are now scaring me. I did many experiments with my cats. They consistently reject all natural premium food but crave FF. I've had a nagging suspicion that they may be adding cat MSG or something....

Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Kitty cocaine!

Our cats seem to be immune to it, however. They prefer their crunchy kibble.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
My spoiled BigGirl will only eat Fancy Feast as well. I get her the tuna flavor. She gets 1/2 can mixed with warm water in a.m. only. The rest of the time she has to eat her special very expensive dry cat food from the vet. She seems to be very happy and content with that regimen. Except when she thinks she might get a "people" treat from me!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
It's Gracie's favorite also and she eats three small cans of this every single day, only the sliced or chunks though. She will not eat anything else. She'd rather starve, I think.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 AM

16 posts, read 67,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My spoiled BigGirl will only eat Fancy Feast as well. I get her the tuna flavor. She gets 1/2 can mixed with warm water in a.m. only. The rest of the time she has to eat her special very expensive dry cat food from the vet. She seems to be very happy and content with that regimen. Except when she thinks she might get a "people" treat from me!
Please don't feed her tuna flavor it contains mercury which according to my vet isn't good for kitties!

My DiDi and MiuMiu LOVE Fancy Feast but only the "gravy" flavors. I try to avoid as much as fish flavor as the vet said fishes would often elevate the kitty's thyroid level (?) but they both LOVE the salmon gravy. I usually bought them FF turkey gravy, chicken hearts and liver gravy (DiDi's favorite), chicken gravy and gibert gravy. Between the two of them (the boy one is so rubust and hearty and the girl loves to eat too) they can probably eat 5-6 cans a day. Sometimes I lost counts after the 5th can.

I think FF seems to have better texture (from what I can see) and seems to be more clean and densed in flavor. We call it "posh" cat food, as it is more expensive than other wet food brands. (funny enough my babies didn't like FF Medley though)

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
which ones have the most carbs so we know which ones to avoid

Would you mind telling us which ones these are?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
LOL! Not only does Mickey prefer Fancy Feast, it must be the Elegant Medley food that is .75/can. Fortunately she only eats 1/2 can per day. *shakes head, wondering how this stray cat who used to eat uncooked pasta got to be so rotten.....*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats