Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,602 times

Advertisements

Why are cats vilified in 90% of cartoons? Tom & Jerry, Sylvester & Tweety, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, Cat in Alice in Wonderland, the cat in Cinderella, etc. I've grown up around cats and I know they aren't the evil creatures depicted in some of the entertainment out there.

Mice are always seen as cute, cudely, and helpful. In reality, rats and mice carry disease. The Black Plague would have wiped out most of Europe if not for cats eating the rats.

Dogs are portrayed as either dopey, hapless victims to the sinister kitty or ferocious beasts that team up with the mice to torment the cat.

Sure there are exceptions like the "Lion King" but they are few. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM

195 posts, read 593,883 times
I agree cats get bad reps compared to dogs. Cats are usually associated with dark things like witches. They are also misunderstood as being aloof etc. Nothing could be further than truth of course. I hope public's understanding of cats improves and more cats become adopted. I've been to the shelter today. There were WAY too many cats who need home.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
It's true that cats have been portrayed in negative lights and they have allwys had connection to witches ( possibly because of their glowing eyes in the dark) , but in most movies they're seen as smarter than dogs who are often hapless and goofy . (Think of "Homeward Bound" and all ).

And, don't forget that in ancient Egypt , cats were considered sacred .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-24-2008, 08:46 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
I think a lot of this from my pov anyway is that a lot of guys are encouraged to associate liking dogs with being manly and liking cats as being sissified. This is absurd and unfortunate. And I think this kind of bleeds through into media, which at least historically, is mostly run by men.

My brothers and I were raised with cats. I love them and dogs, too. But if I had to choose dogs or cats only for the rest of my life, I honestly think I would choose cats.

My dad is very old school and was definitely influenced by that old fashioned bias. You could catch him being nice to one of our cats sometimes, if he didn't think anyone was looking. But generally, he was all bluff and coarse with them. Once in a while even downright mean to them I am sad to say. But I think he thought he was less of a man if he acted otherwise.

As for aloof, I know it would be preaching to the choir here, but cats are so definitely affectionate and kind. YOu get what you give to them. If you're kind to them, they respond well. If rough, they respond in fear, and hisses and growls are a sign of fear, not anger most of the time.

That's my pair of round copper Abe Lincoln portraits on the matter anyway.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Why are cats vilified in 90% of cartoons? Tom & Jerry, Sylvester & Tweety, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, Cat in Alice in Wonderland, the cat in Cinderella, etc. I've grown up around cats and I know they aren't the evil creatures depicted in some of the entertainment out there.

Mice are always seen as cute, cudely, and helpful. In reality, rats and mice carry disease. The Black Plague would have wiped out most of Europe if not for cats eating the rats.

Dogs are portrayed as either dopey, hapless victims to the sinister kitty or ferocious beasts that team up with the mice to torment the cat.

Sure there are exceptions like the "Lion King" but they are few. Any ideas?

well, everyone has already mentioned reasons why cats are vilified, another reason is that, unlike dogs and horses, which have always had strong working relationships w/ humans, cats and humans, up until recently (well recently considering how long cats have been domesticated) there never was that type of relationship between cats and people.

as a HUGE mouse and rat lover, I find it ironic you complain about how one animal is misunderstood, yet go around to put down another! mice and rats did NOT cause the Black Plague, the fleas they carried did. there is a difference (it's not as if rats and mice were going around, biting people and passing on the plague that way. they were merely an innocent vessel). as a owner of rats, I'm constantly telling people my pets don't carry any more diseases then their dog/cat, but often come across close minded people. oh and never mind the bad rap rats get in the media- mice are often depicted as cute, but there's very little positive media regarding rats.

anyway, cats have been portrayed positively in the media, most often by Disney (ie, Oliver and Co., The Aristocrats, etc) and of course, you can always look to Egyptian mythology and cultural studies for some major cat loving

Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
Loved your post bjh .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,128,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, everyone has already mentioned reasons why cats are vilified, another reason is that, unlike dogs and horses, which have always had strong working relationships w/ humans, cats and humans, up until recently (well recently considering how long cats have been domesticated) there never was that type of relationship between cats and people.

as a HUGE mouse and rat lover, I find it ironic you complain about how one animal is misunderstood, yet go around to put down another! mice and rats did NOT cause the Black Plague, the fleas they carried did. there is a difference (it's not as if rats and mice were going around, biting people and passing on the plague that way. they were merely an innocent vessel). as a owner of rats, I'm constantly telling people my pets don't carry any more diseases then their dog/cat, but often come across close minded people. oh and never mind the bad rap rats get in the media- mice are often depicted as cute, but there's very little positive media regarding rats.

anyway, cats have been portrayed positively in the media, most often by Disney (ie, Oliver and Co., The Aristocrats, etc) and of course, you can always look to Egyptian mythology and cultural studies for some major cat loving

But those who kept cats during the plague survived....
Cats, People, and the Black Plague: Those Who Kept Cats Survived (http://ezinearticles.com/?Cats,-People,-and-the-Black-Plague:-Those-Who-Kept-Cats-Survived&id=161249 - broken link)

Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 AM

22 posts, read 40,129 times
HEAR HEAR!!!

I HATE the media's bad portrayel of cats.

Only a few positive ones, Aristocats, Felix the Cat, Garfield, and Heathcliff.

There isn't enough of these guys, it seemz like every dang movie
that comes out has that terrible abused kittypuss sound Moderator cut: hostile language
You hardly ever hear a dog yipe or a Humans "OWW!" or "ACKK!"
when that dam baseball smashes thru a window scene, god i hate that,
why don't we hear a human ever?? Make the baseball hit him/her
in the butt for once.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-08-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM

672 posts, read 5,093,890 times
As a kid I was always cheering for Tom. I hated that little annoying mouse. I wanted it to become Tom's lunch! Same thing goes for Sylvester and Tweety.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,178 times
Only a few daily comic strips are routinely read,but of my favorites,one is pro and one is anti cat,just as we are discussing.Garfield is,of course,almost must reading for all cat lovers.While i am very fond of Louie the Lab,do wish that Overboard would not make cats villians.In recent strips a scary looking cat from the Green Ship is shown stalking the mice of the Pirate Ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats