Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times

Advertisements

I am attempting to change my cats litter. I can't stand the dust that the Freshstep leaves. I have to have the box in my bathroom and everythng is coated in a grey dusty film. I go through and wipe down every surface every evening with a damp cloth or clorox wipe to clean it off, not to mention have to wash the floor and walls every week. of course I track the dust throughout the house to..

I have been mixing Yesterdays News, Pine Pellets and Freshstep in the box, this is the third change ( I change the box twice a week). Today, very little Freshstep. I may be rushing the change...but so far so good.

I will keep you updated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
I've tried different litters over time and I've found that my cats really do take changes in stride. I have room for multiple boxes and I usually fill one box with the new litter and leave the old litter in the other boxes...I know they've accepted the new stuff when I am scooping equal amounts out of all boxes.

I agree about Fresh Step being dusty! I bought some when I ran out of my normal litter and I could really notice how much more dusty it was.

The only litter my cats didn't like was the pine stuff. Which was too bad as I loved the way it smelled.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Default Pine pellets

When I tried to change over to only Pine Pellets, they rebelled!!! Didn't mind the mix of pellets and clay, but they were used to only clay. Now that they've been using the mix for awhile, I decided to get away from the dust. So far, so good, but the problem will be when I do away with the clay...probably next week. I've tried other clay litters and they don't like them, deliberately scratch piles out of the box....

We'll see!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I use Arm and Hammer's litter. It is the best at keeping odors down although it isn't the best at clumping. Since there is no perfect litter, I chose to keep odors down.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
You could try enclosing the litter box so less dust gets around (helps the smell, too):

ikea hacker: simple ideas for cat litter boxes

I love this idea and am planning to do it with my cat's box. Right now it's under a table with a piece of fabric draped over it.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Default enclosure

Unfortunately, Bubba doesn't like anything over his head. I've tried the covered box, not tall enough - 2 Maine Coons, the Litter box tent, He hated it so much he'd hang his big butt over the edge and pee. After I turned the tent upside down leaving the supports upward and the top as high sides, instead of covering his "deposit" he'd scratch at the sides until I wanted to scream. I broke down and bought a mortar mixing pan at Home Depot so it's big enough he can get his wide fanny inside, haven't had any "misses" and since it's open he buries to his hearts content.

Into day 10 and so far so good. tomorrow's a changing day, and I plan on putting very little clay in. we'll see!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
There's a product called "world's best cat litter" which is made from corn and it clumps, is safe & I never notice any odor as long as I scoop twice a day...and no dust whatsoever! My cats (now, sadly, I must say "cat" since my old boy passed into the spirit world yesterday morning...) took to it right away after quite a few years on freshstep, I think they enjoy how soft it is on their paws.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 PM

190 posts, read 542,791 times
Have you tried Scoop Away?? I clumps fantastically with no dust and slightly scented. The husband bought it once by mistake and I have never gone back. Best Ever!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats