Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times

Advertisements

There's this ADORABLE black & white kitten, about 3-4 months old, who's been hanging out behind the library where I work... she (I think it's a she?) has been there for about 2 weeks now, and attached herself to a local homeless man who's been feeding her. He came in the library to use the restroom yesterday, and she waited at the door mewing for him.

I believe she came from a feral litter, but it's obvious she wants a human and a home. Since nobody else is stepping forward to rescue her, and the homeless guy doesn't have anywhere to take her, I've decided to do it. I have been rescued by cats before, but taking them myself is new to me. I almost caught her the other day, but I only had a cardboard box (rather than a carrier), so she kept jumping out - and I didn't want to scare her any further. She is still pretty skittish, especially now that I tried to capture her, but turns into a love-bug pretty easily.

So what is my next step? I'm planning to bring a carrier with me on Thursday, and will try to lure her in with a can of food... she is very food-motivated, so I hope that works! Then I guess I should take her straight to the vet, since I have pets at home & don't want to expose them to diseases. Then should I bring her home, to a rescue/shelter, or what? She is extremely cute and will probably be a good kitty when she settles in, but I don't really need another cat right now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone in the Bay Area (CA) wants a kitten....... LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Please take her home. Once you have one cat, the rest is easy. Since she is so young, she will easily adapt to your home. She chose the library for a reason.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:26 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,341 times
Yes, please take her home. There is a reason she was there.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
I agree! Would write more but preparing for Oscar to come visit us in the early hours of tomorrow morning. What fun. Cheers!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

378 posts, read 1,652,341 times
Good luck SITT Resident.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,050 times
I only wish my stray would have come within twenty feet of me so I could have helped him.

You will be so happy you adopted this little fur baby! My first cat was a stray I found at a park. He was my kitty for almost 18 years and what a lucky day it was finding him.
God bless you for caring.

(Happy New Year to you too!)

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Alright alright... I'll take the darned kitty home. Guess she did choose the library for a reason, and maybe it was kismet that she arrived right before I gave up Kona (see my thread on that if you don't know the story). Hey, that's a good name, Kismet!! Anyway, I haven't seen her yet today, but I will try to find her tomorrow - will let you all know what happens.

P.S. Should I take her to the vet first, or bring her straight home? I'm just concerned about diseases, even though my cats/dog are vaccinated and up-to-date.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
If it were me, I would take her straight to the vet....better to be safe than sorry....Kismet (I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!) will love you for it too! They will probably worm her, check her for parasites, and maybe a Feline Leuk. test...don't want to bring that home to your other furbabes!
I'll be looking for your post tomorrow!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
If she's real nervous/skittish, it might be best to take her home first, then the vets. If you think she needs medical care right away or are real worried, take her right to the vets. Either way, she has a home now. I think she probably found you for a reason.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Feline Leuk, which is like feline aids...does not always show! It is rambant in feral kitties...and is the 2nd killer of household cats! The virus is transmitted through saliva..sharing water bowls,food dishes, cat to cat grooming and cat bites...kittens can acquire the virus in utero and through infected milk.
NOT something you want to take a chance with!
I am just not sure if it will show up in a kitten( test wise, I mean)...since it has to be present for something like 12 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats