Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times

Advertisements

My work requires that I am gone for 28 days and am home for 28 and I have 4 cats. My daughter comes in to check on them and they have complete run of the house. I checked out all my options and this is the better of all of them. Boarding them at the vets? They would be kept in a small cage for 28 days..to heartbreaking for me and I know they would grieve themselves to death.

I use to take them to my sons house but a 45 minute ride in the car (one way) stressed them out way to bad. My vet suggested I leave them at home and it took me a year from the time he suggested it until I gave it a try.

Shutting them up in the bathroom is a big NO NO! Fix up a room for them or give them complete run of the house (they will think they are being punished and not know why) and have someone come in to check on them at least every other day. To many things can happen to leave them shut in a bathroom with no one to look in on them for 10 days.

I am begging you, do not shut them in a bathroom for 10 days! That can and will cause problems that they will never get over. Just think how stale that air will get in there, litter dust in their food and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
No, I would have someone check on them every few days and clean the boxes and put out wet food.

With dry food, you do not need a feeder, just leave it out.

But you do need someone to check on the animals in case something happens or they get in trouble, which happens more often than you'd think.
I would leave more than one water contraption, too. And even more kitty litter boxes. I would never lock them in just one room. The kitty litter would be in a room at the end of the place where the odors might be a bit removed. I would leave the radio on for them.

Yes, and somebody - ask a shelter or vet or pet store if you don't have a neighbor. Some pet sitters are bonded for theft, but you might end up paying more for them. Some dedicated people at a shelter or a cat rescue will do this if you contribute to the shelter.

I would leave toys around for them, too. Think of them as children and how you would treat them.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
We leave our cats with their toys (which disappear to places unknown), their favorite pillows and blankets, and a bit of catnip. And our neighbor to feed them once a day.

This is going to sound weird, but we each leave one of our worn shirts on the couch for them to curl up on, to make sure they still have our scent. Every time we come home, the shirts are loaded with cat fur, so they must like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats