Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Eventually I got to the point where I did not get several shots at once. Interesting, one could get several at once but when getting one at a time they need to be spaced several weeks apart. I also do not get the several year rabies either. Just the one year at a time.
1 yr vs 3 yr Rabies shot = 1yr has NO adjuvant (bad stuff) vs 3 yr which HAS the adjuvant!

Period, go 1 yr if you even need it at all? Only need it sometimes for apts, flights, etc.

If no reason needed, & cat is indoor only, how can it get Rabies unless YOU get it too & bring it in?

Money making scam often for vets to make $. It really is risks outweigh benefits too often w/ Rabies shots, in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
Default Yes, shots made my cat sick

My cat is very sick after the rabies and distemper shots. I'm extremely worried. The vet just shrugs it off. I would not have even given the cat these shots, but had no choice. He was trapped and turned in to animal control. They would not let me have him back unless he was vaccinated. I'm afraid he is dying. The vet is unhelpful and in denial.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easher555 View Post
My cat is very sick after the rabies and distemper shots. I'm extremely worried. The vet just shrugs it off. I would not have even given the cat these shots, but had no choice. He was trapped and turned in to animal control. They would not let me have him back unless he was vaccinated. I'm afraid he is dying. The vet is unhelpful and in denial.
Please find another vet, and get your cat looked at asap. Was he tested for disease before being vaccinated? Basic questions need to be answered, and we can't do that here.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
If no reason needed, & cat is indoor only, how can it get Rabies unless YOU get it too & bring it in?
Unfortunately my home has had bats get in via the attic. That being said, you can be careful when going to the attic and afterward.

That being said, I am done with vaccines. My 13 year old cat just got them and he was sick for a few days.

But good luck finding a vet that will allow you not to have the vaccinations. They always say, "its the law".

Well two things

- most law have exceptions for elderly or sick cats (chronic disorders)
- the fine in my state is $100. I am happy to reimburse the vet.
- as far as I am aware... there are no "vaccination" police to enforce this law.

I have decided to just stop taking my cat to the vet. Vets killed my last cat by not asking me about doing the vaccinations and gave him them (leading to cancer).

I just had a vet out to my house. The goal was to get blood. My vets got what they wanted done - done. The vaccinations was all they cared about. They were "not able" to get blood. So they got done what they wanted to do and I got to pay them for it. I hate vets. I am considering not getting pet after this one because they are so off base and it is so difficult to find a vet that isn't a robot.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easher555 View Post
Never give more than one vaccine at a time. My vet prefers to space them out when my cat has needed more than one booster, and he does the FVRCP every 4 years, and the rabies every 3. My cat needed both 4 years ago, and she got the rabies at her annual exam, and the FVRCP 2 weeks later. She had another rabies last year and another FVRCP this year, so she won't get either one for 2 more years.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:16 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

I have decided to just stop taking my cat to the vet. Vets killed my last cat by not asking me about doing the vaccinations and gave him them (leading to cancer).
So you are choosing to neglect your cat's health by not doing routine yearly wellness exams. And you're calling the vet irresponsible??

Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 AM

298 posts, read 303,243 times
I am not sure if this is the same for cats. My dogs got to be 10 yrs old and the vet told me they don't need their vaccines any longer. I have a cat that is indoors only. She had kitten shots but has never been back to the vet for shots since. She is our only cat. She is very sensitive to food and other things so I have not wanted to stress her out to go to the vet and she never goes outside anyway. It may be different if you have a multiple cat household or have a cat the goes inside/outside but I have read so much negative on the vaccines and felt it was unnecessary for my cat that lives indoors by herself. Also with my cat she gets so stressed she loses a lot of hair and to put her thru the stress of the carrier and getting vaccines is probably worse for her. Like I said though she is the only pet and NEVER goes outside. I know I will get negative feedback from some and I am not criiticiziing those who get vaccines its just this decision has worked for me.

Last edited by ClassicCarFamily; 10-07-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 03:20 PM

272 posts, read 130,791 times
In people it is called fowling viremic. Feeling viremic means that the cat is feeling like it is coming down with a virus. It's normal. The injection site(s) are likely sore. As a nurse I would advise my patient to drink lots of water and get some rest.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:22 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Sometimes after getting their annuals, mine will sleep a lot. I'm sure they weren't feeling too well but they would bounce back the next day.

This year when I brought them all in for their annuals, the vet didn't give Electra one. She is 18 & 1/2 years and the vet was surprised to actually see her-she didn't think Electra was going to survive from an episode she had last year.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...y-electra.html

Cat

Old 10-07-2019, 05:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So you are choosing to neglect your cat's health by not doing routine yearly wellness exams. And you're calling the vet irresponsible??
Do can't really need yearly wellness exams? How do they make it in the wild? I mean even HUMANS don't have yearly wellness exams anymore. My physical is now every 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats