Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM

172 posts, read 1,063,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

I call it the "Pick 'n Mix" approach. Not everything is going to work for everyone in all situations. Pick the ones that work for you and mix them altogether into something that works for you and your cats.

I do find this website has fundamentally sound advice about behaviour.
Cats International - Welcome!
Yeah, I have to admit we really are enjoying our babies. We got so tired of the mixed opinions about everything--we decided to simply try different approaches to see what works. I'm still on the fence about discipline though. We've used the spray bottle a couple times, but I always feel bad afterwards! Anyway, I like your "Pick 'n Mix" approach--you should start a thread with that name . I'll check out that website. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
Mercurial is the perfect word to describe them.
Mercurial?! Mercurial?! MERCURIAL?!!

Nonsense. I have perfectly even-tempered cats. Nothing mercurial about them. I've got a cat... and if he were any more laid-back, he'd be in a coma. So there.

(Just to give the OP a taste of what she's in for. Apologies folks, but I couldn't resist. )

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm still on the fence about discipline though.!
Feline discipline is a tough one in fairness.

I have only used the squirt bottle (in my case it was a water pistol) on one particular cat and it was reserved for a heinous crime: that attempted murder in the first degree of two parrots. There was much malice of forethought... but he only forethought it and tried to execute it twice - both times getting felled by a water pistol. It has to be said, he never tried it again.

When dealing with cats, it is useful to remember this:

"In ancient Egypt cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
In our house the water bottle is used for one thing....and that is kneading on the furniture. But, I have to say....all I have to do is pick it up...and in all fairness, it is only ONE ( out of 5) that has this mental block about what is acceptable. If I even see her "thinking" about my new leather furniture...I pick up the bottle...she takes off...well, more like meanders away I haven't refilled that bottle in 2 years....For every other infraction...a good clap of the hands and loud "NO" seems to do the trick ( for the time being anyway)

Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I've never used a squirt gun -- that would require a) accuracy, and 2) effort. Usually I shout and clap my hands. They're starting to understand "no!" -- I wish they understood "no" as well as they understood "breakfast."

I guess one absolute is that, when disciplining a cat, you've got to catch them in the act.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 AM

172 posts, read 1,063,449 times
Quote:
Mercurial?! Mercurial?! MERCURIAL?!!

Nonsense. I have perfectly even-tempered cats. Nothing mercurial about them. I've got a cat... and if he were any more laid-back, he'd be in a coma. So there.

(Just to give the OP a taste of what she's in for. Apologies folks, but I couldn't resist. )
You're funny . It totally depends on the cat though!

Mercurial is a great way to describe our first cat, Gracie. Of course she has very specific routines in some ways (like any cat), but she is also quite unpredictable. Gracie can go from 0 to 60 in a couple seconds flat without any warning--she will just start racing back and forth through the house at no specific time of day. One minute she wants to be held and given kisses, the next minute she wants alone time. She won't eat the same kind of soft food every day, so I have to surprise her with different kinds to keep her on her toes--one day she just decided that Wellness soft food (although previously her favorite) was unpalatable. She loves playing in the bathtub (with water in it) and is occasionally curious about the paper shredder (as it grinds) even though she is incredibly skittish about the vacuum. Sometimes she's incredibly needy and meows incessantly during the night, other times she disappears and we don't see her 'til morning. She's also pretty changeable when it comes to which toys strike her fancy.

I'm not sure about our newest kitty--she is just getting used to the new setting and new cat. More on her later...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You're funny . It totally depends on the cat though!

Mercurial is a great way to describe our first cat, Gracie. Of course she has very specific routines in some ways (like any cat), but she is also quite unpredictable. Gracie can go from 0 to 60 in a couple seconds flat without any warning--she will just start racing back and forth through the house at no specific time of day. One minute she wants to be held and given kisses, the next minute she wants alone time. She won't eat the same kind of soft food every day, so I have to surprise her with different kinds to keep her on her toes--one day she just decided that Wellness soft food (although previously her favorite) was unpalatable. She loves playing in the bathtub (with water in it) and is occasionally curious about the paper shredder (as it grinds) even though she is incredibly skittish about the vacuum. Sometimes she's incredibly needy and meows incessantly during the night, other times she disappears and we don't see her 'til morning. She's also pretty changeable when it comes to which toys strike her fancy.

I'm not sure about our newest kitty--she is just getting used to the new setting and new cat. More on her later...
LOL...Yup, you've got yourself a cat there!
0-60 in seconds....known as the cat crazies!
We're just going thru...We love our Wellness cat food...but oh wait...that was yesterday....something different please....we're still in the testing stage on that one
Have we found the printer yet? Ours here the fax or printer and are immeadiatley peering in to "attack" whatever paper emerges.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
..known as the cat crazies!
I love when they do that. Pinging off the walls, being chased by imaginary demons, slaying imaginary dragons, doing the "kamikazi death roll" and diving head-first down the cat tree - only to appear out the bottom and take off as if the hounds from hell are on their heels, ending in the hockey-stop that doesn't work on slick floors and the cartoon-like running in place trying to grain traction. Endless amusement.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I love when they do that. Pinging off the walls, being chased by imaginary demons, slaying imaginary dragons, doing the "kamikazi death roll" and diving head-first down the cat tree - only to appear out the bottom and take off as if the hounds from hell are on their heels, ending in the hockey-stop that doesn't work on slick floors and the cartoon-like running in place trying to grain traction. Endless amusement.
LOL...And in our house...it's all 5 chasing one another...sounds like a herd of stampeding elephants! And then, and then.....everyone flops down as tho they've all been shot down...and looking like the most innocent of angels

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
It seems like no one is on the same page regarding cat behavior.

We spent many months going to shelters to find our 2 wonderful kitties, and in that time I have spoken with numerous shelter workers/volunteers. I've picked the brains of our two regular vets. I have regular Q & A sessions with pet store employees.

It seems like everyone I've talked to has a fairly solid opinion about cat behavior, but everybody says something different. I hear about dog experts all of the time. Where oh where are the feline kind? Are there no facts when it comes to cat behavior?
Understanding cat behavior is really pretty simple and can be summed up economically as follows: Expect the cat to do whatever the hell it pleases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats