Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 PM

180 posts, read 700,766 times

Advertisements

My mom just had me look up some info on this subject...anyway, she called me to inform me that she feels that her kitty is sensitive to this litter, which I understand is a brand that most people switch to when their cats don't take much else! She said that her kitty is experiencing some irritation...uh...back there after she uses the box, and will lick and bite. Kitty has very sensitive skin in the first place, so she may be experiencing unrelated irritation. Mom doesn't suspect cystitis or a similar disorder.

Kitty will be going to the vet tomorrow to get this checked out in any case.

So, has anyone else's cat displayed sensitivity to Feline Pine? Is there another litter you switched to that seemed to help your kitty feel more comfortable? My mom doesn't want to resort to newspaper or newspaper-based litters unless she absolutely has to... Any suggestions, or experiences with your pets, will be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 PM

80 posts, read 687,878 times
My cats have used Feline Pine for over a year and I have never experienced any issues. In fact, I find the litter being the best in terms of odor control and dust, and I really like that I can just flush the used litter. Your cat might just need some time to get used to the texture of the new litter?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
It is odd but I have heard of one other situation as you describe. My neighbor threw her Feline Pine away because of her kitty itching. Her vet said it was probably allergies.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM

180 posts, read 700,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
My cats have used Feline Pine for over a year and I have never experienced any issues. In fact, I find the litter being the best in terms of odor control and dust, and I really like that I can just flush the used litter. Your cat might just need some time to get used to the texture of the new litter?
I'm not sure how long my mom has been using the Feline Pine...for a while, I think, and noticed the bad irritation her kitty was experiencing just now. She switched to Feline Pine for the very reasons you mentioned. Her cat is a very allergic animal so there may be something in the litter that makes kitty itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It is odd but I have heard of one other situation as you describe. My neighbor threw her Feline Pine away because of her kitty itching. Her vet said it was probably allergies.
This may very well be the case--mom's cat is very allergic and has sensitive skin. I hope it's only this and she can try another litter. Fortunately, kitty's not too picky about what she goes in and adapts to different conditions well.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM

80 posts, read 687,878 times
[quote=docindigo76;8754676]I'm not sure how long my mom has been using the Feline Pine...for a while, I think, and noticed the bad irritation her kitty was experiencing just now. She switched to Feline Pine for the very reasons you mentioned. Her cat is a very allergic animal so there may be something in the litter that makes kitty itch.

The texture of Feline Pine is very fine. One of my cats likes to do her business right ON the litter and I often find some pine sticking to her bottom. She would lick it off afterwards. Since it's natural wood, that doesn't bother me as much as when she licks clay litter. Perhaps, your cat is attempting to lick the pine off and your mother thinks that's an irritation?

I am glad my cats are fine with FP. I've experimented with every litter type under the sun and FP has been the best. The only thing I don't like about is the tracking issue.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 14,573 times
DO NOT USE FELINE PINE! My cat used it and within a week or so he started having convulsions. I have read of other cats having the same reaction. It was like an epileptic fit. He would run away and hide and then get all stiff and would slowly raise his paw as if he was reaching for something. His eyes would glaze over and he didn't know I was talking to him. After about 10 minutes he would come out of it and be a little foggy and then be alright. He did this once every few days and then the fits started coming more frequently. I tried to think what new changes I had done to maybe initiate this, I finally figured out it was because of the change in his litter. I immediately changed litters and the fits stopped. It was a very scary time. He has been fine ever since. STOP USING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Some people have allergic reactions to pine (pinion), cats are no different. In general, it's a good product. Like anything else, if you experience problems, switch to something else.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 22,869 times
She is allergic. My friend used the same thing for his two cats and ONE of his cat showed all symptoms of a uti. He went to the vet and the vet gave him antibiotics for a uti. A week later the antibiotics had done nothing. I asked him what litter he was using and Feline Pine it was. I know from breeding rats that cedar and pine both contain a chemical, plicatic acid, can cause respiratory infections and I have personally seen it happen many times. Anyway I told him to not use pine and if any type of wood use aspen. He switched to a normal cat litter and the "uti" was gone almost overnight. Bottom line, do NOT use PINE or CEADAR. It may be natural but its not at the same time because you never see a random field of finely chipped cedar like you do dirt or leaves.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 22,869 times
Try using aspen instead.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I could not use pine litter in this house. Two cats displayed allergy symptoms, one tried to eat it and one refused to use it.

Plus, aside from the overpowering pine odor, once it got wet it stunk to high heaven, scooping did not alleviate the stench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats