Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, out of all the cats I've had through my life.. I've never seen a cat have so much trouble using the litter box. He knows not to go in the corner, but he also doesn't go to the litter box. What he does is sit in the corner and cry until I carry him to the litter box. He always waits until I'm home to go and never seems to have accidents, but always makes me carry him there and doesn't go on his own.

I'm not too sure how to fix this or how to make him get off his lazy butt and walk there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Have him checked out by a Vet - that is odd!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
That's a really strange habit for the cat to be in. May have been separated too young; usually they learn litter box use from mother.

There's a cat litter called Kitten Attract that you might try. Also, if the litter box is really far away from that spot (or any spot where he spends the most time) you might try moving it closer, at least temporarily until he gets used to it.

And yeah it wouldn't be a bad idea for vet check although it would be more necessary if this is a CHANGE in behavior. This sounds more like you brought him home and have had trouble ever since then, and I'm thinking maybe that has only been a short time? If it's only been a short while he may just get confused about the lay of the land so to speak. Which again suggests moving it closer for now. It's going to be more important in the short term to make sure he is simply USING the box consistently. Then you can move it gradually to a more desired location on your terms, and he'll be able to adjust. If your floor plan is really large you may need more than one box even if you're only on one floor. If multiple floors, you need multiple boxes.

It's not attributable to laziness. That is a projection of a human condition. A cat wouldn't really understand that sort of emotion far as I know.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
^^^

This, exactly.......great response Greg42.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have to admit, out of all the cats I've had through my life.. I've never seen a cat have so much trouble using the litter box. He knows not to go in the corner, but he also doesn't go to the litter box. What he does is sit in the corner and cry until I carry him to the litter box. He always waits until I'm home to go and never seems to have accidents, but always makes me carry him there and doesn't go on his own.

I'm not too sure how to fix this or how to make him get off his lazy butt and walk there
Why don't you put the litter box in that corner? He's not "lazy," there is something else going on with him and the litterbox. Where is it located? Up or down a flight of stairs? Next to a blaring TV or stereo? Where a dog can harass him while "going?" You haven't given us enough information.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Why don't you put the litter box in that corner? He's not "lazy," there is something else going on with him and the litterbox. Where is it located? Up or down a flight of stairs? Next to a blaring TV or stereo? Where a dog can harass him while "going?" You haven't given us enough information.

He was separated from his mom at 6 weeks, which I think is young and that could slightly be leading to the problem. I don't think it's really a physical problem, he doesn't have problems eliminating or anything like that.

Part of the problem could be that he has trouble getting to the litter box because I have it in a walk in closet around the corner. I don't really want to have a litterbox in the middle of my living room.

I put tin foil in the first corner he chose, so he went to another corner. However, when I bring him to his litterbox he has no troubles using it.

Maybe it's a matter of giving him a better guide to getting there? I'm not really sure the best route to go about doing that. I also suspect the litter box could be too big for the little guy.

Does the cat attract litter work well?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Kitten Attract worked miracles for Bobbles. I recommend adding a second litter---just a large Tupperware container without a lid---and putting it exactly in the corner where she sits. With Kitten Attract.

Boobles has two litter boxes. One is the big girl box and one is in a large low rectangular Tupperware container. She likes the small one better. I recently learned that cats prefer only 1 to 2 inches of litter. The next time I change the big girl box, I'm going to put less litter in it.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Part of the problem could be that he has trouble getting to the litter box because I have it in a walk in closet around the corner. I don't really want to have a litterbox in the middle of my living room.
I felt this way too. I slowly moved the litter box inch by inch week by week out of the living room. Try my suggestion of the second smaller open litter box right where she sits in the corner. Leave it there for a week or two. Then start moving it just ever so slightly until it's in the closet around the corner. Don't move it every day. Make sure she's using it for a few days before you inch it along again. It might take a month or more to get it moved without her realizing it, but it's well worth the effort of having a cat that uses the litter box. LOL

Quote:
No. You need KITTEN Attract. CAT Attract isn't for kittens.

Kitten Attract is like Kitten Crack. Mine goes nuts in there. She LOVES her litter. It's freaky how well Kitten Attract works.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
He was separated from his mom at 6 weeks, which I think is young and that could slightly be leading to the problem. I don't think it's really a physical problem, he doesn't have problems eliminating or anything like that.
That shouldn't make a difference. The litterbox has to be where they can easily see and use it. Too many people put them where it's most convenient or suitable for THEM and not the cat.

Quote:
Why not? They have really nice covered ones that look like furniture. I had one made of bamboo and no one would suspect it hid a litterbox. I paid $20 for it on sale. It doesn't sound like you have it in a good place or a place suitable for this cat.

Quote:
I put tin foil in the first corner he chose, so he went to another corner. However, when I bring him to his litterbox he has no troubles using it.

Maybe it's a matter of giving him a better guide to getting there? I'm not really sure the best route to go about doing that. I also suspect the litter box could be too big for the little guy.

I don't use Cat Attract litter so wont comment but I think you need to move the litterbox to another location.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
I know nobody really wants a litter box out in the open in the middle of living space, but I think temporarily this is the only way you're going to establish good litter box habits. Once he is using the box consistently then you gradually move it to your desired spot. The other option is the reverse, to close the cat into the space with the litter box, then open things back up to him once he is using it consistently. Usually this transition won't take more than a couple weeks or so, but you're going to need to do one of those two things.

Being separated from mother at 6 weeks is for sure the biggest contributor to this and yes I think that would probably rule out a medical problem. He just has not had enough training on what to do as it's something the mother would have been doing starting around that time. He needs to spend his time closer to the litter box for now, then he will learn to go to it without your assistance.

And yeah if you want to try the attractant litter you specifically want Kitten Attract litter for the youngsters, this one: Kitten Attract | Precious Cat Litter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats