Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Jasper is named after the "Twilight" character. My daughter was 17 when we got him. His name had been "Buster". We did not like that for him.

His previous owners declawed him on all four paws. He does not seem to be in pain, or crippled. He does slip a lot though when he jumps. He does not bite, and he is not mean. They must have spent a lot of money on him, then got rid of him. I don't get it. Their loss, my gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
His previous owners declawed him on all four paws. He does not seem to be in pain, or crippled. He does slip a lot though when he jumps. He does not bite, and he is not mean. They must have spent a lot of money on him, then got rid of him. I don't get it. Their loss, my gain.
All 4 paws? Wow. Always feel sad when I see that. Glad to hear he does okay. There's been one stuck at our shelter here like that; she has no claws on all 4. Sweet cat, pretty and long haired, maybe too shy is why she doesn't get taken home. Been there for months, seems odd, maybe people are reluctant to take the already declawed ones for fear of...dunno, problems later?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I have had 2 cats that I declawed because they were tearing up my house. One of the cats came home like nothing at all had happened. The other cat was in pain for a week or so.
Both cats went on to have long healthy lives and were great pets. I don't have a problem at all with declawing cats. I also dock dogs tails and crop their ears if that is the breed standard.
I think from my experience that ear cropping is harder on an animal than declawing.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Oddly enough, my Mom had two cats declawed. Now she is against anyone who does it. She did it, and now states it was because she did not know better. Whatever.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
You don't seem to realize that it is a HEALTH benefit to have your cat spayed/neutered. Not to mention it is necessary to control the over population of cats.
Okay get out the big clippers and start chomping on that feline weaponry...of course the vet is going to charge you at least 30 bucks to say hello...another 100 bucks to tell you that it is a good idea - maybe another 50 bucks in kitty drugs - then another 200 bucks for the stay over at the animimal hospitial...

Years ago we had this black cat that belonged to one of my daughters...she had over 35 kittens in total - ALL of them we found nice homes for...but in the end the poor cat died...at least we helped to populate the planet with black cats...and I am sure the family line is still growing strong.

Being a hick and growning up in the country...our dogs ran loose and liked to hang out either in the woods or stroll along in the shallow of the lake looking for little fish...the cats - most were TOMs would wander about...one of the huge old male cats would disappear for a week - then a month - then he was gone for two years...One morning he showed up and went under the dinning room table to his old spot as if he had never left...

I loved our animals but it was a different day back then...cats and dog were free and so were the people. We never paid a vet for anything and all the animals thrived into old age...BUT if the creature became sick with old age - The vet would put them down...only after the animal gave a good fight for it's life - and the animal finally gave up..THEN and only then did we lessen the suffering.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
You do realize that 10,000 homeless animals are euthanized every day in this country, and that cats are the #1 most euthanized animal? And you're bragging about bringing so many into the world?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Okay get out the big clippers and start chomping on that feline weaponry...of course the vet is going to charge you at least 30 bucks to say hello...another 100 bucks to tell you that it is a good idea - maybe another 50 bucks in kitty drugs - then another 200 bucks for the stay over at the animimal hospitial...

Years ago we had this black cat that belonged to one of my daughters...she had over 35 kittens in total - ALL of them we found nice homes for...but in the end the poor cat died...at least we helped to populate the planet with black cats...and I am sure the family line is still growing strong.

Being a hick and growning up in the country...our dogs ran loose and liked to hang out either in the woods or stroll along in the shallow of the lake looking for little fish...the cats - most were TOMs would wander about...one of the huge old male cats would disappear for a week - then a month - then he was gone for two years...One morning he showed up and went under the dinning room table to his old spot as if he had never left...

I loved our animals but it was a different day back then...cats and dog were free and so were the people. We never paid a vet for anything and all the animals thrived into old age...BUT if the creature became sick with old age - The vet would put them down...only after the animal gave a good fight for it's life - and the animal finally gave up..THEN and only then did we lessen the suffering.

According to your estimates it would cost $380. It has never cost me that much to have my cats fixed. Plus mine have all come home the same day as the surgery.

My point is that it is a health benefit. When a female cat has one heat cycle that increases the chance for mammary cancer. Why put a cat through something so unnecessary?

That's all I'm going to say about that. This thread is about de-clawing.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

This is called selective memory. Animals living as you describe do not make it to "old age" unless you consider 6 or 7 years old "old age". Most of that kitten factory you're so proud of probably never made it past their first year.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper is named after the "Twilight" character. My daughter was 17 when we got him. His name had been "Buster". We did not like that for him.

This is not uncommon. After spending a small fortune on a pet some people tire of them and get rid of them. They leave home, marry/remarry, graduate college, have a baby... every excuse to dump their cat or dog you can imagine. Read the pet section of Craigslist sometime. You will find shocking ads there as to what can be had for free.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This is called selective memory. Animals living as you describe do not make it to "old age" unless you consider 6 or 7 years old "old age". Most of that kitten factory you're so proud of probably never made it past their first year.
And the "good homes" he mentioned were no better than the home he gave their mother.... kittens several times a year till they wore out. Tom's brawling, getting infected and dying slow miserable deaths. Kittens no longer cute cast aside by disinterested owners. Kittens killed by predators or run over in the road. Shot or poisoned by annoyed neighbors. I seriously doubt any of those kittens made it to 15, 20 years of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats