Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Red pepper + white vinager in a super soaker.

It wont hurt him and he will hate it. Do not use a BB gun. Both beads can put out an eye or break skin. You just have to play momma cat for awhile and he will get the clue. Douse him in that stuff enough times and he won't be back. I had to use that at my parents house a couple times after thier tough cat died and some feral cats were trying to establish territory. Do not feet it at all. That can bring coons etc to your property too. Just make sure your cats are up to date on the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 650 times
I have a 7 year old spayed girlie cat named Holly, she weighs 5.8 lbs. She's a total loner, likes her momie (me) and is fine around humans but hasn't has much exposure to other animals so she is timid. She's in the house always when I'm gone but when I'm home she loves to sunbathe on the back patio. She never ventures farther unless she's being chased. 2 years ago my neighbor acquired a male Maincoon kitten. By 6 months old he outweighed Holly by double, by now he outweighs her 4 to 1. From the day my neighbor brought that enormous cat home, poor Holly has been, raped, beaten, chased and terrified by this cat. When he was a year old, he broke through our locked cat door and I awoke to her screaming. He had her pinned down and was engaging in forced intercourse while she whimpered and cried. I chased him out and boarded up the cat door. I tired to have the door repaired but the contractor couldn't do it so we finally just replaced the front door thus eliminating the cat door. Since then he stalks her when she is on the patio, scratches at my door leaving marks on the glass and shreds the insulation around the door trying to get in. if I leave the door open to water the plants he runs in and won't come out for hours. I have tried to talk to my neighbor but she doesn't care. She says boys will be boys and cats have no fences, she refuses to attempt to control him in any way. Any suggestions on cat deterrents or is there a law. The neighborhood assoc is not willing to get involved. What do I do, sell my house?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:55 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Red pepper + white vinager in a super soaker.

It wont hurt him and he will hate it. Do not use a BB gun. Both beads can put out an eye or break skin. You just have to play momma cat for awhile and he will get the clue. Douse him in that stuff enough times and he won't be back. I had to use that at my parents house a couple times after thier tough cat died and some feral cats were trying to establish territory. Do not feet it at all. That can bring coons etc to your property too. Just make sure your cats are up to date on the shots.
Yup, and if you get found out, you can be charged with animal cruelty, whether this cat is feral or belongs to someone else. If it is someone else's, you could be on the hook for the vet bills if you cause injury.

This is one of many reasons why my own cat is indoors only, so I don't have to deal with her getting run over by cars, attacked by other animals, stolen by a hoarder, or abused by a psycho.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaton00 View Post
I have a 7 year old spayed girlie cat named Holly, she weighs 5.8 lbs. She's a total loner, likes her momie (me) and is fine around humans but hasn't has much exposure to other animals so she is timid. She's in the house always when I'm gone but when I'm home she loves to sunbathe on the back patio. She never ventures farther unless she's being chased. 2 years ago my neighbor acquired a male Maincoon kitten. By 6 months old he outweighed Holly by double, by now he outweighs her 4 to 1. From the day my neighbor brought that enormous cat home, poor Holly has been, raped, beaten, chased and terrified by this cat. When he was a year old, he broke through our locked cat door and I awoke to her screaming. He had her pinned down and was engaging in forced intercourse while she whimpered and cried. I chased him out and boarded up the cat door. I tired to have the door repaired but the contractor couldn't do it so we finally just replaced the front door thus eliminating the cat door. Since then he stalks her when she is on the patio, scratches at my door leaving marks on the glass and shreds the insulation around the door trying to get in. if I leave the door open to water the plants he runs in and won't come out for hours. I have tried to talk to my neighbor but she doesn't care. She says boys will be boys and cats have no fences, she refuses to attempt to control him in any way. Any suggestions on cat deterrents or is there a law. The neighborhood assoc is not willing to get involved. What do I do, sell my house?
Maine Coons are usually gentle cats. In fact, they are referred to as the "gentle giants". however, that doesn't seem to be so in this case! Has the MC been neutered? It sounds like he's looking for a girlfriend. Of course, that's up to the owner, and many do not care to have their cats spayed/neutered or don't want to be bothered. You could try suggesting this to the MC owner and see if they would agree. You could even offer to pay for it if it would help your situation---neutering usually isn't very expensive!''

Your girl kitty is spayed, so that isn't the problem, although a male cat in heat will go after just about anything! This guy sounds like a particularly aggressive cat. You might consider speaking with your local animal control to see if they have any suggestions. I bet this cat doesn't even have his rabies vaccine, in which case the animal control could justify picking him up. Not only is the MC a danger to Holly, he is a danger to you as well if he's aggressively trying to enter your home. A bite or scratch from this guy could put you in danger as well.

As a last resort I would suggest trapping the MC and taking him to a shelter. You can get a humane trap, sometimes called a raccoon trap, at places like Academy, etc, they should cost about $50. Or, sometimes animal control groups, rescue groups, etc have loaners of such traps. You bait it with food, the cat walks in, and triggers the door to shut behind him. No harm is done to the animal. Then, take him to a shelter. It doesn't sound like this MC has a good home anyways, so you might be doing him a favor as well!

Good Luck

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I would trap the male and bring him to the nearest shelter. Let your neighbor try to figure out what happened to him. That's what I'd do, and my local shelter only holds cats with no ID for a few days before they put them up for adoption, and they spay and neuter every animal they adopt out.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
My childhood dog had a feline nemesis that we referred to as WW2 (from Peanuts).
About twice a year he'd come home with a bloody nose for sticking it where he wasn't welcome.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...20140517172920
Attached Thumbnails
What to do about a mean cat beating up my cats?-ww2.jpg  

Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I would trap the male and bring him to the nearest shelter. Let your neighbor try to figure out what happened to him. That's what I'd do, and my local shelter only holds cats with no ID for a few days before they put them up for adoption, and they spay and neuter every animal they adopt out.
I would neuter and release. Like I would a feral. Not my fault if someone actually owns the cat and lets it roam around that way. Here it's free if it arrives in a trap. I'd pay the $5 for rabies shot if that isn't included. They can't complain. It's not nice to take to shelter that will likely kill him. And if one's own cat is also outside, can't be throwing stones from glass houses.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:

Trapping him and taking him to the shelter as a stray is one idea. The owner will have to pay a fee to get him back. However if she does, or simply gets another cat, you may just have more problems.

An alternative solution is to cat proof the patio where your girl kitty likes to hang out. I read the old parts of this thread too from 8 years ago and was very surprised no one suggested the OP cat proof the 6 foot fence so the neighbor's cat couldn't get in the yard. Perhaps they figured that out on their own.

There are many kits you can buy for cat containment systems, or buy the system itself, or just browse the internet and do it yourself.

You can purchase a system that has access from a window, or just leave it outside and take her in and out, or enclose your patio, or a section of it, with fencing or screening.

I cat proofed my second story porch for my cats. Not to keep cats out, but to keep my cats safe on the porch. It was easy to do, and when I am home they can come and go to the porch as they like. It's wonderful.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I would neuter and release. Like I would a feral. Not my fault if someone actually owns the cat and lets it roam around that way. Here it's free if it arrives in a trap. I'd pay the $5 for rabies shot if that isn't included. They can't complain. It's not nice to take to shelter that will likely kill him. And if one's own cat is also outside, can't be throwing stones from glass houses.
So you find an open-door, no kill shelter that only euthanizes the unadoptable ones that are sick and/or have too many behavioral issues for them to be suitable pets. There is such a shelter near where I work; in fact, it's where I adopted my own cat from.

And some people keep their cats confined to their own yard. When I was briefly living with my parents I used to take my cat out into the back yard on a leash. I had no way of stopping strays from getting into the yard, however, because their yard is not fenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats