Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times

Advertisements

could you tell me if there were any signs that they had it. we have a stray that started coming around and she to was pregnant and we got her inside and she had 4 health babies. the reason i ask is that we have 7 cats of our own. we have a spare room that my dw setup for her to keep the babies in to keep them seperate from our cats. the kittens are about 4 weeks old now. they seem to be very health as well as the mama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:58 PM

84 posts, read 278,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
could you tell me if there were any signs that they had it. we have a stray that started coming around and she to was pregnant and we got her inside and she had 4 health babies. the reason i ask is that we have 7 cats of our own. we have a spare room that my dw setup for her to keep the babies in to keep them seperate from our cats. the kittens are about 4 weeks old now. they seem to be very health as well as the mama.
Neither the mother cat nor the babies currently show any signs of being ill. That is the scary thing about this disease. Cats are very good at hiding being unhealthy. Often, cats are diagnosed with FeLV when they show no or few symptoms. I have no way to know how long the mother has been infected. The babies seem like perfectly healthy kittens. The mother is even successfully nursing all 5 babies.

Have you been keeping the stray cats separate from your own cats? Have they had any contact at all? Regardless, I would definitely take the mama cat and one baby to be tested for FIV (feline aids) and FeLV. The test was $45 combined for me, but it is often even cheaper than that. You might even be able to get a discount if you tell them they are strays you took in. You need to take mama and a baby because a mother won't always pass it on to the babies. Often, if one baby is positive, they will all be positive. If the baby is positive, I suggest getting all babies tested before euthanizing them all. Sometimes some kittens will be negative, even if one or more is positive. If any of your own cats have had contact with the strays and the strays are positive, take your own cats to be tested right away. This brings up another good point. If anyone takes in a stray or a cat that has not been tested, keep it separate from your own cats.

Here is a list of symptoms (but don't wait for symptoms to have them tested):
  • Anemia
  • Blood in the stool
  • Chronic, recurring infections (FeLV-infected cats are susceptible to bacterial, fungal, protozoan, and other viral infections.)
  • Decreased appetite
  • Decreased stamina
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Excessive drinking and urination
  • Infertility
  • Jaundice (a yellowing of the skin, whites of the eyes, mucous membranes, and body fluids)
  • Low-grade fever
  • Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes)
  • Neuropathies, which can cause anisocoria and hind limb paralysis
  • Weight loss

Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 PM

I just want to add this little statistic I just found:

Feline leukemia is the greatest killer of cats after accidents; 21% of sick cats brought to veterinarians have leukemia.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
thankyou very much for the information and we will keep them separate until we find out. non of them seem to have any of those symtoms which hopefully is a good sign.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
thankyou very much for the information and we will keep them separate until we find out. non of them seem to have any of those symtoms which hopefully is a good sign.
I'm sending good vibes your way. I'll be keeping the kitties in my thoughts. Please post the results once you get them tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats