Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM

77 posts, read 273,490 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if you can use something like bactine or neosporine on a cat. Its a stray cat that has taken to my Mom and hangs out at her house. It doesn't look diseased - just a sore that it can't get too. Its around the cats tailbone on its back just before where its tail begins. Any info would be great. Don't want to have to take it to the vet if not necessary - especially since its not even hers (looks like thats changing tho).
Jengal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
I think you can but you have to watch because sometimes they can have a reaction to the anti-histamine which makes the sore worse. That happened with out dog-vet said to just put bacitracin on it.

Another thing-could be fleas and the cat is allergic to them. We had them a few years ago with our cats. The female developed a spot in the same area you spoke of, and it was an allergic reaction to the flea bites.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,696 times
You might want to try some vitamin E or aloe.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I think you can but you have to watch because sometimes they can have a reaction to the anti-histamine which makes the sore worse. That happened with out dog-vet said to just put bacitracin on it.

Another thing-could be fleas and the cat is allergic to them. We had them a few years ago with our cats. The female developed a spot in the same area you spoke of, and it was an allergic reaction to the flea bites.
Okay - I'll tell her all that. What is bacitracin? Do you have to get it from the vet or can you buy it otc? Thank you.
Jengal

Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
You might want to try some vitamin E or aloe.

Thanks Denise. I will let her know.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 AM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
My cat has the exact same thing going on right now. I took her to the vet and had bloodwork done and a fungal test on the spot-all negative. The next test is to test for mange, but she's an indoor cat and I see of no way she could have been infected with it and plus how they test for it, I dont' want to do that to her. I would also catch my cat pulling her hair out and constantly licking it. I thought maybe it was a hot spot. Anyways, I got this stuff at Petco call Cloud Star Buddy Boo Boo lotion. It's all natural and has vitamins and tea tree oil in it. The spot has significantly improved. It's in the dog section (they had more selection), but it's for pets, not just dogs. It's seems to be working, so maybe give that a try.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
My cat has the exact same thing going on right now. I took her to the vet and had bloodwork done and a fungal test on the spot-all negative. The next test is to test for mange, but she's an indoor cat and I see of no way she could have been infected with it and plus how they test for it, I dont' want to do that to her. I would also catch my cat pulling her hair out and constantly licking it. I thought maybe it was a hot spot. Anyways, I got this stuff at Petco call Cloud Star Buddy Boo Boo lotion. It's all natural and has vitamins and tea tree oil in it. The spot has significantly improved. It's in the dog section (they had more selection), but it's for pets, not just dogs. It's seems to be working, so maybe give that a try.

Good luck!
We are wondering if its just wounds inflicted in a fight. Since its actually a stray it could be anything I guess. My mom says its where the cat can't even get to it to lick it. She said it was healing but then one day noticed it was all raw again. Maybe it rubbed itself on something because it was bothering it. I haven't gotten a good look at it myself. I will try to look today if it comes around. I will tell her to check the pet store for that stuff (what a name).
Thank you very much for the info.
Ginger

Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
A cortizone shot cleared up Gracie's terrible allergies in no time flat !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 AM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengal View Post
We are wondering if its just wounds inflicted in a fight. Since its actually a stray it could be anything I guess. My mom says its where the cat can't even get to it to lick it. She said it was healing but then one day noticed it was all raw again. Maybe it rubbed itself on something because it was bothering it. I haven't gotten a good look at it myself. I will try to look today if it comes around. I will tell her to check the pet store for that stuff (what a name).
Thank you very much for the info.
Ginger
I did some more research and realized that Tea Tree oil is NOT good for cats. It can be toxic . Yikes! You would think that they would put that on the bottle!! So I stopped putting that lotion on her spot, but I think the couple times I put it there might have done the trick. I read that TTO has been used safely with cats, but you are taking a chance. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will be on the hunt for a different lotion now.

If you find out what it is let us know!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
I did some more research and realized that Tea Tree oil is NOT good for cats. It can be toxic . Yikes! You would think that they would put that on the bottle!! So I stopped putting that lotion on her spot, but I think the couple times I put it there might have done the trick. I read that TTO has been used safely with cats, but you are taking a chance. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. I will be on the hunt for a different lotion now.

If you find out what it is let us know!
Okay - thanks. She didn't buy it. I know she tryed to spray some peroxide mixed with water on the wound (50/50). Don't think she's gotten close to it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats