Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,561 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it is possible/advisible to fly oversees with cats? We may need to move to Europe for my husband's job and I don't know what else to do with the cats. I don't know anyone who would be willing to take care of them until we get back and I cannot bear to bring them to the shelter.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
It's possible, but you need to start the process as soon as possible to shorten or eliminate quarantine in some receiving countries.

Some broad guidelines:

International Pet Travel, Dog Cat Pet Quarantine, Importing Pets

There should be a vet in most metro areas of the country who has experience in dealing with any necessary vaccinations and paperwork.

It's common for pets to fly in the pressurized and climate controlled part of the cargo hold on long flights. Each airline has requirements on pet enclosure requirements for those flights, and many airlines will not fly pets in summer hear or winter cold because of concerns about them spending too much time on the tarmac in harsh weather conditions while they're waiting to be loaded.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
When I moved to California, Gracie stayed in her cat carrier underneath my seat. Jet Blue charged $100. for her ticket & the vet gave me tranquilizers for her that I really did not need.

I did have a chip put into her though just in case she escaped or anything.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM

80 posts, read 688,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible/advisible to fly oversees with cats? We may need to move to Europe for my husband's job and I don't know what else to do with the cats. I don't know anyone who would be willing to take care of them until we get back and I cannot bear to bring them to the shelter.

Any thoughts?

It's perfectly possible to move overseas with your cats so please do not consider leaving them behind. If you have more than one cat, you're probably better off hiring a pet mover. They arrange all paper works and see to it that your cats travel safely door-to-door (They pick up and deliver them to you at the destination). They pick airlines that have weather-controlled waiting rooms so that your animals stay safe during transit. They also have attendants who take the animals out for a rest during transit. Mines had a layover in Amsterdam where they stayed in a pet hotel because the airline that had no direct flight. It costs me $3000 for 3 cats. That's a lot of money but peace of mind that service brought for me was priceless. If you like, you can google under pet movers. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats