Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times

Advertisements

My big old boy, my black-and-white baby that was adopted from a friend of mine who found him scrounging in a garbage dump, managed to get out on three separate occasions, but he always came back. Once it was during the coldest part of winter, and I really didn't think he'd come back but he did.

This last time he returned while I was teaching; we heard him at the door and he just demanded to get in. He was dirty and beat up, but looked like he was fine. He's a smart cat and knows how to survive, I guess. He had been gone a week and again, I thought I'd lost him. He just devoured me with love, he was so happy to be home. I don't even open the door now in the studio if he's in the room; he's used to being let out, I guess, and he doesn't understand he shouldn't do that and I'm not fast enough to catch him.

But as I mentioned, he loved me to death and then snuggled up next to me; when I looked down, I swear he had a tear in his eye!

Is that possible? Do cats cry?

I have totally given my heart to this cat; he is so sweet, so affectionate and gentle. If I don't love on him enough, he sits in my lap with his paws on my chest and gives me kisses. What a sweet, big old boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Some cats tear ducts are deeper than others...which is why some have "eye boogers" as we call them. But cry....no.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Hi Shelby! But there was a little puddle of water under his eye!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:50 PM

I have never heard of a cat "crying". Your also putting human emotions on the cat. I guess it is a matter of opinion, but it is doubtful they have the same emotions that would bring tears as we do.
My Simon...Persian/ Maine Coon has watery eyes if I feed him anything with grains in it. The Persian comes out through and through....Persians have deep tear ducts which is why you see alot of Persians with stains under their eyes. They tear a lot.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,535 times
Nope cats lack tear ducts they also lack a sweat tooth- as carnivors theres nothing sweet about their diet, lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Nope cats lack tear ducts they also lack a sweat tooth- as carnivors theres nothing sweet about their diet, lol.
PP...I don't know where you get your info from but....cats do have tear ducts....and blocked and deeper ducts is what makes a cats eye tear.

Blocked tear duct problems in cats | PetDoc

Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM

OP...on a whim, I googled cats crying: Here is what I found

Does a cat cry real tears - Behavior FAQ

Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
OP...on a whim, I googled cats crying: Here is what I found

Does a cat cry real tears - Behavior FAQ
Well, to tell the truth, I really didn't think it was a tear in the same way a human would tear up. But still, he DID "love attack" me and he's very happy to be home and safe, that's for certain. He's LOVED, and he knows it.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Well, to tell the truth, I really didn't think it was a tear in the same way a human would tear up. But still, he DID "love attack" me and he's very happy to be home and safe, that's for certain. He's LOVED, and he knows it.
Now.....that I know is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
One of my kitties has a huge sweet tooth. She loves sweets and I have to watch her like a hawk. She loves whip cream, ice cream, peanut butter, and all yellow cake. Once in awhile I will let her lick the ice cream bowl as long as it's not chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats