Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times

Advertisements

My friend has a cat that is just under 2 years old. Her son took it out of an abusive situation. Nyla was fine until about four months ago when she developed a urinary tract infection, for which she is still being treated. Since then, she has been urinating on the dog bed and on the carpet in a corner of the master bedroom--apparently she is showing dominance. She has a Litter Maid and uses it also. Any suggestions would be appreciated to get her to stop urinating on the dog bed and on the carpet. At first, my friend was adamant that Nyla would stay. Now, she is thinking about taking her to a shelter. I have never had that problem with any cats that I owned so I don't know how to help. I suggested that the vet should be able to help, but they apparently have no answers. I jokingly said that she she should contact a pet psychologist. Her husband wants the cat to go. If you have successfully solved a similar problem, please share what you did. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Has the cat been spayed? I would tell your friend to find another vet for a second opinion. Another thing for your friend, she has to completely eliminate the odor from those areas or the cat will keep going back to those spots to urinate. Wishing your friend and her kitty good luck. She's already lucky to have a friend like you to take the time and look into this for her.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Has the cat been spayed? I would tell your friend to find another vet for a second opinion. Another thing for your friend, she has to completely eliminate the odor from those areas or the cat will keep going back to those spots to urinate. Wishing your friend and her kitty good luck. She's already lucky to have a friend like you to take the time and look into this for her.
My friend did have Nyla spayed. Her husband picked up some type of cleaner at the pet shop but it apparently only works for 24 hours? Not sure what it is. They also have the Little Green Machine that is used daily.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
My friend did have Nyla spayed. Her husband picked up some type of cleaner at the pet shop but it apparently only works for 24 hours? Not sure what it is. They also have the Little Green Machine that is used daily.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I've used vinegar before. Don't know if she tried that?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I've used vinegar before. Don't know if she tried that?

How does vinegar stop the behavior? I imagine she has used it to stop the odor but I really don't know. She just wants Nyla to only use her litter box.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
Mine didn't like the vinegar smell.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:14 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
There's a cleaner called Stink Free that is supposed to work really well. I would say clean the carpet with that and make sure it soaks all the way down to the pad. Then place something in that area, furniture, hamper, anything to prevent the cat from getting to that area of the carpet. Also have her throw out the dog bed and get a new one. The dog bed is probably beyond saving at this point. I think a second opinion on the UTI may be needed at this point since the first vet can't offer her any solutions. It may not be a UTI causing the problems. That's all I can think of right now.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
ONLY enzyme based cleaners will remove all traces of the smell. There are a slew of them out there... troll through any thread with "urinary" or "pee" in the title and I'm sure the popular/tried & tested brand names will come up.

Ref the behaviour two issues:

A) Has the cat been recently retested for a UTI? They can be a bugger to clear up, so if that hasn't been done, it needs to be.

B) Cat's do not show dominance by urinating - unless it's an unaltered male in a situation where he's marking territory. Cats however will urinate outside the litter box as a result of stress/emotional upset. They're communicating, not dominating.

So, if there's no UTI/other physical or medical issue, then it's behavioural and it is fixable. It will take time and patience and a careful attention to detail (ie, what set it off,, what's changed, what's upsetting the cat?). Don't forget cats being cats means it could be that she got scared by something she saw through the window...

Is she in/out or just in?

Right off the bat, the first thing is to limit the cat's area - somewhere without carpet preferably - and "retrain" to use only the litterbox.

ShelbyGirl has a link she always posts that explains all this. If she doesn't pop up, send her a DM.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Nyla has been tested for UTI two or three times. She just can't seem to get rid of it. She is in indoor only cat and they are confining her to their finished basement. I just talked to my friend and they did throw out the first dog bed and now Nyla is urinating on the second dog bed. Nyla is going back to the vet sometime in the next week, and my friend will be asking to see the doctor who owns the clinic instead of an associate. We'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats