Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
To explain yourself in such a detailed manner...after seeing this, it seems you have a wealth of experiences to base your opinions on...

But I gotta disagree with you on at least 2 points in your reply...even though you are absolutely correct when you said 'people get judged on how the majority behaves', I can't agree with that 70% figure...I'll say from my own experiences, that the small percentage of black folks that want to act like constipated baboons, make it difficult for the MAJORITY (there's that word again LOL), who actually want good lives for themselves and have ACHIEVED said good lives, to rise above negative images...I'd put it 70-30 the other way...

And to your point about 'neighborhoods going bad when blacks move in', I'll disagree with that too...I'm willing to bet the ones who act like they have no home training or regard for human life other than their own, are the ones who lower the neighborhood values, not the ones who have made something of themselves, and who don't indulge in any kind of sophomoric thuggish behavior...

It sounds as though you are like so many others, who have been exposed to the negative aspects of black society for so long, that they form the assumption that the entire race carries on like that, and I know for a fact that a lot of those stereotypes simply aren't true...

Again, thanks for giving me a revealing look into your life, and your experiences
Again, in real life, my socialization network is diverse. I get called a "great guy" and a "sweetheart" by the women, coz I have been taught to be adept at social skills. If my friends read my 2 posts up there, they will disappointed and shell-shocked (many of them black people)

But the internet gives everyone the freedom to express internal opinions with the advantage of anonymity.

I had thought about causing a stir in the offline life, but there are things better left unsaid, all I want is camaraderie across the table So I suck up to political correctness when it suits me for the best possible outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,238,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief, now you want to pick on Whoopi? Regardless of her political agenda or liberal crazy ideas, she is a BLACK woman who is a friend of Sandra's ex.

If as a black person she can say he is not racist because she really KNOWS him (again, you only know what you've read or inferred) I'm going to take her opinion much more seriously than yours
And she said what Roman Polanski did to a 13 year old girl wasn't "rape rape".

So I thus don't trust her judments or opinions. But what I do know, is that Bullock's husband was wearing a Waffen SS hat doing a nazi salute. That's what I do know.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
As a black person, I don't have a problem with white celebrities adopting black children. However I do echo PA2UK's suspicion that some celebrities do it for show.
As a black woman, I think black kids are celebs new accessory. Some may want them, but not sure about all.

As far as adopting black children. Yes, I use to think only blacks should adopt black children. You should think about that statement, tho. Should Johnny/Beverly sit in home after home waiting for his/her black parents. To find out they're not coming. I see the average people (gay couples/any race couples) with black kids and I applaud them.

I do think children lose their identity being with people outside their own race. I feel the couple should experience things the child would experience with their own race. Be it black/white/asian whatever.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
So the kiddo grows up away from basketball, rap and crime, and that's a tragedy

Barack Obama is a prime example of not growing up in black identity. See what he has made himself into
Yeah, because we all know those are the only things blacks know how to do, right.

Shot loops for breakfast
Record raps for lunch
Robbing for dinner

I guess watermelon for a snack, huh!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
As a black woman, I think black kids are celebs new accessory. Some may want them, but not sure about all.

As far as adopting black children. Yes, I use to think only blacks should adopt black children. You should think about that statement, tho. Should Johnny/Beverly sit in home after home waiting for his/her black parents. To find out they're not coming. I see the average people (gay couples/any race couples) with black kids and I applaud them.

I do think children lose their identity being with people outside their own race. I feel the couple should experience things the child would experience with their own race. Be it black/white/asian whatever.
what exactly is white identity and what would I have lost had I been adopted by a couple of a different race?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
And she said what Roman Polanski did to a 13 year old girl wasn't "rape rape".

So I thus don't trust her judments or opinions. But what I do know, is that Bullock's husband was wearing a Waffen SS hat doing a nazi salute. That's what I do know.

Again, you miss the point in favor of just looking silly

Whoppi KNOWS this man.

IF as a black woman she tells the world the man she KNOWS is not racist, REGARDLESS of her wacky political agenda or other liberal views, I believe her.

Again, she knows him, you don't - end of story.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
From what little I've read on the matter, I don't think Sandra Bullock is doing the adoption for publicity. First off, she went through normal channels, not wanting to be given special privileges to speed up the process. This means that they were in the process for over a year. Second, I believe they had the baby for months before it came out in the tabloids, which means they tried to keep it private for as long as they could. I'm guessing that if publicity was the main purpose, they would have tried to circumvent the process and then made a big deal when they got the baby. In addition, I think she would be showcasing the baby for the entire time. None of this has happened.

On the cultural aspects of the adoption, the families I know who've adopted are very cognizant of it. The made sure their adopted child was exposed to and given opportunities to experience their cultural heritage. Granted, it may not have been the full range of exposure, but they did what they could.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 AM

371 posts, read 894,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
So the kiddo grows up away from basketball, rap and crime, and that's a tragedy

Barack Obama is a prime example of not growing up in black identity. See what he has made himself into
I'm disappointed in you,AC. I thought you were better than this.

There's a difference between being black and being "ghetto".

Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
She's make a permanent, life changing decision based upon her trying to make people think she's not a racist like her neo nazi husband is.
Actually, she adopted the child before this whole mess surfaced, so your assumption is completely off base.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, you miss the point in favor of just looking silly

Whoppi KNOWS this man.

IF as a black woman she tells the world the man she KNOWS is not racist, REGARDLESS of her wacky political agenda or other liberal views, I believe her.

Again, she knows him, you don't - end of story.
Doesn't she know Roman Polanski? How could she make her comments about what he did being rape rape without knowing him?

Plenty of people say Mel Gibson, even jews, isn't an antisemite, yet he still made his antisemitic rant..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities