Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM

2,747 posts, read 465,272 times

Advertisements

Hey peppermint, I agree. I'm in my 50's and if they've made enough of an impression in the past for me to remember them or their movies then they're A-listers in my book. I couldn't even tell you the names of some of these new up and comers. No stand-outs in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwdswmn View Post
Hey peppermint, I agree. I'm in my 50's and if they've made enough of an impression in the past for me to remember them or their movies then they're A-listers in my book. I couldn't even tell you the names of some of these new up and comers. No stand-outs in my mind.
From your day...the A listers I think of, that still stand out in my head are such notibles as..

Dorris Day
Betty Davis
Frank Sinatra
M. Monroe (didn't want to mess up the spelling of her fist name)
Dean Martin
Sammy Davis Jr
Marlin Brando (think I spelled that right)
Fred Astair or Astare?
Bob Hope
Lucial Ball
Burt Renolds

Was Clint Eastwood ever a A lister?
He always seemed like a renagade outsider...

Sally Fields...what was she?

Ahh...there's so many more from back during the hey day of Hollywood...

Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM

While I do remember all of those and agree with you, I never really was a Marlin Brando fan. My stand-outs would probably be more from the era of Mary Tyler Moore, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell. But I also would add to your list Audrey Hepburn, Charleton Heston, Katherin Hepburn and my all time favorite of John Wayne.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
While I do remember all of those and agree with you, I never really was a Marlin Brando fan. My stand-outs would probably be more from the era of Mary Tyler Moore, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell. But I also would add to your list Audrey Hepburn, Charleton Heston, Katherin Hepburn and my all time favorite of John Wayne.
Ok, so your kinda like from the middle era...actors that came into their own in the late 70's early 80's...

Those Dean Martin celebraty roasts, from the late 70's were something...actors or stars, really carried themselves differently back then...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Ah, the true celebs!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
In my mind, it's pretty clear.

A list is...

Tom Cruise
Denzel Washington
Will Smith
Russell Crowe
Julia Roberts

B list is...

Kim Kardashian
Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan

(B listers have a lot of notoriety and publicity, but they aren't in A list movies)

C list is...

Kathy Griffin
just about anyone on vh1's surreal life...like vanilla ice, gary coleman, brigitte nielsen. If you have to squint your eye to see what movie someone stared in 20 years ago, then they're C list.

D list is a little worst,

Like Randy Quaid, or a C list star in trouble with the law.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 AM

Ahh, it's funny you should mention Gary Coleman...the oddity from 'Different strokes'...

Actors like him seem to maintain public relevance do to their 'oddities'...or like watching a train wreck occur over a 20 year span...

Sometimes you watch em to see if their ever going to bounce back...like a Rocky fight in the last round...
You just want to see if they still have it in them, that spark, that originally made them a child star...

And it's hard for many to seperate the 'grumpy' adult, from the 'lovable huggable' child star that resignated with so many as a kid on TV...

Everyone so still wanted to believe that little 'Arnold' (his characters name on tv)...was still in there, hiding away...and with the right stimuli, film, movie, could or would once again surface...

Gary Coleman was kind of like a 'train wreck' celeb...that you just watched, to see what was going to happen next...while being fed small doses of quircky headlines now and then about them...

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM

I guess another thing to consider is whether people who are only known for tv shows can also be categorized with the traditional A-list/B-list scenario. Or do they get classified in a system all of their own?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I guess another thing to consider is whether people who are only known for tv shows can also be categorized with the traditional A-list/B-list scenario. Or do they get classified in a system all of their own?
Or how about this....

Remember the lovable sitcom 'Growing Pains'...from the late 80's or early 90's?

Rember Kirk Cameron, who played Mike Seaver..
Jeremy Miller...who played Ben Seaver..
And Leonardo DiCaprio...who played Luke Brower...

Well at the time...Kirk Cameron was about as big a teen star as you could get...he was definatly a tv star 'A' lister...
And so was Jeremy Miller...his cute blonde haired brother...who came into his own on the show...
Now those two did well on tv...within the sitcom realm...

Leaonardo, however, just didn't come across on tv to well....

But as soon as Leanordo DiCaprio left tv for Hollywood films...he blew up...he just came across better on big films...
Where as Kirk Cameron and Jeremy Miller...could not carry their appeal over to the big screen...

And have since faded away from the public conscious...where as Leonardo went on to become a 'A' lister...for a little while...and now he's perminatly etched in Hollywood...

Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 AM

The same with 'Bosom Buddies'...starring Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari..(the cute blonde guy)...
(1980-82)
Tom Hanks...who's been a A lister for years...seemed to do well in both mediums...tv and big film...he has definatly earned his A rating...

Where as his co-star 'Peter Scolari...had no such cross over appeal what so ever...not even a tiny bit...and never really got a role after the show...

He was typecast, yet Tom Hanks wasn't...

Peter Scolari...is probablly a 'D' lister...if that....unless he's done some other behind the scenes things to earn 'recognition cred'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities