Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, George Burns outlasted him by two years, and HE smoked and drank!
It was four years. George Burns made it to 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It appears the cause of death was respiratory failure due to pneumonia.

That is sad, if he avoided vaccines as part of his holistic approach and did not take the pneumonia vaccine.
Quote:
Can't help wondering why Jack got pneumonia. I remember watching him sometimes when I was a little girl.
He was 96... as "jfkIII" said, you've gotta go of something! If I'm not mistaken, dying of pneumonia at that age basically is "natural causes."

RIP Jack - I'll miss seeing those Power Juicer commercials!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Quote:
Well, George Burns outlasted him by two years, and HE smoked and drank!

Can't help wondering why Jack got pneumonia. I remember watching him sometimes when I was a little girl.

Definitely a fitness pioneer way ahead in time.
I remember hearing that that was all a stage thing; that actually George Burns wes pretty healthy -- but look at genetics too -- Jack Lalanne's parents died pretty young I think...

And I am not sure it is about how LONG you live, but how WELL you live. He excercised and was fit to the very end. That should be our goal.

My mother had a stroke two years ago and I know she would rather just get it over with but is stuck in this uncooperative body........a lot of folks live long, wrecked, and miserable.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I just read this as i'm really sadden as he was one of my athletic hero's along with Arnold and Mr. T.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My mother had a stroke two years ago and I know she would rather just get it over with but is stuck in this uncooperative body........a lot of folks live long, wrecked, and miserable.
I agree! Betty White is "only" 89 but she's the idea way to age. I so admire her.

But, as I mentioned in another forum, if I reach the point where I'm too feeble or debilitated to take care of myself then I've lived too long.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,018 times
Pneumonia tends to start with the flu. I think a large percentage of elderly people wind up succumbing to it.

I think George Washington died from it in fact....and he was relatively young and healthy. I think he went out on his horse to do some fence mending in the rain and caught a nasty cold............that turned into pneumonia.

I figure you can't complain if you, or your loved ones, live to see 80.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
If I remember correctly, George Burns was frail and in failing health for most of his last year of life. Jack LaLanne was as fit and as healthy as any 96 year old can be. We all have an internal genetic clock and aging proceeds regardless but the whole process CAN be slowed, as Jack LaLanne proved. He gave interviews and appeared on TV in the past couple of years and, while not as quick and as sharp as he was 50 years ago, I still marveled at how well he was still functioning. Not to be forgotten is his wife who is only a few years younger and she appears to still be going strong, too.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Life (well, Death, actually) can be so unfair. How is it that Jack LaLanne just up and dies so suddenly...while Zsa Zsa Gabor had last rites administered last summer and is still kicking (albeit, one leg up)?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Man, did I HATE to hear that news!!!

RIP Jack!

Although, he's probably bench pressing with Jesus and His crew right about now!!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Life (well, Death, actually) can be so unfair. How is it that Jack LaLanne just up and dies so suddenly...while Zsa Zsa Gabor had last rites administered last summer and is still kicking (albeit, one leg up)?
Jack died of respiratory failure associated with pneumonia. Zsa Zsa has apparently had no illnesses involving vital organs such as her heart and lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities